Nappy, Kinky and LOVIN" IT

I almost gave in to the creamy crack this week but my hairdresser basically told me no! :biggrin: He said to give it a few more weeks and maybe we would consider some alternatives but no perm! I was so shocked b/c a few years ago he told me he wouldn't do my hair if I went natural.

I tried Hair One and Wen and that completely softened my new growth. I added a bit of jbco to my roots and I have no problems. In fact, my hair is softer and shinier than ever! I can't keep my hands out of my hair. I was a little nervous about using Wen b/c I read some people reported hair loss so I bought a trial size of it.

Next week I'm going to get it professionally done w/ a trim so I can start this journey off right!

What other alternatives? Like a keratin treatment?

I almost gave in to the creamy crack this week but my hairdresser basically told me no! :biggrin: He said to give it a few more weeks and maybe we would consider some alternatives but no perm! I was so shocked b/c a few years ago he told me he wouldn't do my hair if I went natural.

I tried Hair One and Wen and that completely softened my new growth. I added a bit of jbco to my roots and I have no problems. In fact, my hair is softer and shinier than ever! I can't keep my hands out of my hair. I was a little nervous about using Wen b/c I read some people reported hair loss so I bought a trial size of it.

Next week I'm going to get it professionally done w/ a trim so I can start this journey off right!

HELP!!! Why can't I love my hair???

This morning, at O Dark Thirty I went for a run and went to wash my hair/ my "BEY". I really don't know what happened to me, i got inspired and decided to take my "BEY" down. I had the help of my wonderful DH (who I woke up from his sleep mind you!). Oh, and he's never really seen ALL of my hair in it's natural state either.
So... My intention was to make a U or L part wig from some new hair I bought this week and install it tonight, or have my stylist install it this week if I was unsuccessful at my venture. It was never to leave my hair out.
.... Well... After about about 3 hours in the bathroom (yes 3 hours or more) of cleansing and trying to do a curly girl method, I became incredibly frustrated. I had a lot of hair loss too... So, I cut...NO, I chopped off any scraggly ends I found (i had about 4 ins of ends) and yet I still couldn't get any definition. I decided to get back in the shower and start over...
I cowashed with Tresemme conditioner and tried to put ECo style gel... That combo didn't work either. I went back into the shower, rinsed it out and started again. This time i put conditioner in and tried the Shea Moisture.... Still a NO GO at this station! What did I do.... I got back in the shower... At this point, I look like a damned prune! Well I just put the conditioner in, used olive oil from the kitchen to seal and twisted my hair.
Let me tell you... Date night is tonight and church is in the AM... I am scared!!! Not to mention, how the heck am I going to fix this hair for work on Monday?

I think he was thinking of braids or a blowout. I haven't been using much heat lately. I usually use my caruso steam rollers. I'm not real comfortable with the keratin treatments. I don't know much about them. Are they safe?

IMO, keratin treatments aren't safe and you also have to grow it out like a relaxer.

I see Caruso rollers during my transition, they were a life saver.

HELP!!! Why can't I love my hair???

This morning, at O Dark Thirty I went for a run and went to wash my hair/ my "BEY". I really don't know what happened to me, i got inspired and decided to take my "BEY" down. I had the help of my wonderful DH (who I woke up from his sleep mind you!). Oh, and he's never really seen ALL of my hair in it's natural state either.
So... My intention was to make a U or L part wig from some new hair I bought this week and install it tonight, or have my stylist install it this week if I was unsuccessful at my venture. It was never to leave my hair out.
.... Well... After about about 3 hours in the bathroom (yes 3 hours or more) of cleansing and trying to do a curly girl method, I became incredibly frustrated. I had a lot of hair loss too... So, I cut...NO, I chopped off any scraggly ends I found (i had about 4 ins of ends) and yet I still couldn't get any definition. I decided to get back in the shower and start over...
I cowashed with Tresemme conditioner and tried to put ECo style gel... That combo didn't work either. I went back into the shower, rinsed it out and started again. This time i put conditioner in and tried the Shea Moisture.... Still a NO GO at this station! What did I do.... I got back in the shower... At this point, I look like a damned prune! Well I just put the conditioner in, used olive oil from the kitchen to seal and twisted my hair.
Let me tell you... Date night is tonight and church is in the AM... I am scared!!! Not to mention, how the heck am I going to fix this hair for work on Monday?

Why not just do a blowout/flat-iron until your appointment?

DC-Cutie said:
Why not just do a blowout/flat-iron until your appointment?

Unfortunately, my hair reverts at the 1st sign of sweat and humidity. I run almost every day and it curls/frizzes right up.
My twist out didn't tun out as well for my date w/DH so I dampened and put some shea moisture curl gelee in it, a comb on one side and headed out. It's feeling too oily right now so I'm going to do a co wash in the AM and see what happens :smile:

I think your hair looks cute, it frames your face very well.

Dont get frustrated trying the curly girl method. you need to give it a good 2 weeks of following the method to a "T" to start to even see a change and the more you continue the more you will see a difference on the condition and texture of your hair. But, one thing to keep in mind - your hair needs to haves curl pattern, in order for it to curl on its own. That's one of th frustration that some people have, they think because it's curly girl that their hair will start to curl.

DC-Cutie said:
I think your hair looks cute, it frames your face very well.

Dont get frustrated trying the curly girl method. you need to give it a good 2 weeks of following the method to a "T" to start to even see a change and the more you continue the more you will see a difference on the condition and texture of your hair. But, one thing to keep in mind - your hair needs to haves curl pattern, in order for it to curl on its own. That's one of th frustration that some people have, they think because it's curly girl that their hair will start to curl.

Thanks for the encouragement :smile: . I tried the CG this morning with another conditioner: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted (purple bottle), a bit of Knot Today detangler and a bit of Talia Waajid sealant (got sample from BSS). Also cut some more ends... Feel better about the result today, especially since I got compliments from family and church members.
Here 7 hours later:

image-1707575900.jpg

image-1034021512.jpg

Natural sista here and lovin it! I will never go back to the crack! Been natural for 5 years!

Currently rocking a super, super short twa.

I did my own BC after a 7 1/2 month transition. Enjoyed loose natural hair for two years. Then I got sisterlocks and hand them for 3 1/2 years and just recently cut them off in May. I then cut my hair again in July! I think I will let my hair grow some now.

I keep things simple. I use Shea Moisture products. My hair doesn't define me. I will be natural for the rest of my life. Natural hair isn't rocket science like some would have you believe. I love it, its unique, versatile and natural lol

At the same time im not some natural nazi, I realize its not for everyone and to that I say to each his or her own but over here we keeping it kinky! lol

Thanks for the encouragement :smile: . I tried the CG this morning with another conditioner: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted (purple bottle), a bit of Knot Today detangler and a bit of Talia Waajid sealant (got sample from BSS). Also cut some more ends... Feel better about the result today, especially since I got compliments from family and church members.
Here 7 hours later:

View attachment 1848015

View attachment 1848017

Your hair looks great!

Your hair looks nice!

I totally understand your frustration, though. Leaving behind any type of chemical straightener and working with new hair texture has a learning curve. I transitioned for 11 months and when I finally snipped off the the relaxed ends in February, I felt like I was still experimenting because that was the first time that I was fully dealing with all of my hair.

Once you find what works for you and your lifestyle, it'll be amazing!

LADC_chick said:
Your hair looks nice!

I totally understand your frustration, though. Leaving behind any type of chemical straightener and working with new hair texture has a learning curve. I transitioned for 11 months and when I finally snipped off the the relaxed ends in February, I felt like I was still experimenting because that was the first time that I was fully dealing with all of my hair.

Once you find what works for you and your lifestyle, it'll be amazing!

Thank you... I am motivated to give it a go. No relaxers... But I will still be rocking some weave in the future.