Nail Fungus (too much information, sorry!)

1. I think I recently got this from an evil manicurist whose plan it is to ruin my holiday season. Or maybe she didn't know that she's infect my poor little toes. Yet here I am with a gross, gross nail infection. So far, I have purchased a Dr. Scholl's nail fungus cream. I've been using it for 2 days ... how long will it take to clear up? Or should I go to the doctor and get a prescription for something stronger?
  2. I'd TOTALLY go to a Doc, the last thing you need is for it to turn into or be a staph infection.
  3. Go quickly to a dermatologist or podiatrist!

I too had a run-in with a nail technician who should have her license pulled! I let it go for a couple of months, until it was about 4mm above my cuticle. I didn't go to the doctor because people told me nothing could be done.

However, there are two mainstream treatments (and a TON of unproven home remedies!) First is lamasil, a drug that is taken orally for a few months and is very effective. The thing is, it's very hard on the liver - you won't be able to drink or take many other medicines including over-the-counter drugs. My doctor says she only prescribes it for people with extensive fungal infections.

The second is called Penlac, and it's applied just like nail polish once a day - usually just before bed. It's viewed as an ineffective drug because the company's own trials showed that only 12% of patients were cured after a year or so. BUT it worked like a champ for me and I recommend it.

The trick to good results is strict compliance with the instructions, and patience waiting for your nail to grow out. The instructions are pretty simple

(1) prepare your nail by cutting it rather close, and then file down the top as far as you can stand it so that the lacquer can penetrate the nail.

(2) put a THIN coat of the lacquer on your toenail before you go to bed at night. Do this every evening. Remember to keep the coat thin.

(3) remove the accumulated lacquer every seven days, and file down the nail a bit more. Use a new emory board each time so you don't reinfect yourself.

That's pretty much it. Measure the distance between the infection and your cuticle each week to see if you're making progress. If you aren't, consult your doctor again. It took me nine months to get rid of an infection that was about 14 millimeters from the top of my nail down. And it was so worth it!

Btw, if you have an infection, be careful with the tools you use at home. Cut and clean that nail last, and dip your tools in alcohol to clean them. I accidentally started an infection in two other toes by using my clipper on them afterwards. Of course, i just used Penlac on them for a couple of weeks and they cleared right up.

I suspect most of the people it didn't work for either had long-term infections below the cuticle, had other health problems like diabetes, or did not follow the directions strictly.

Good luck!
  4. I've never had occasion to try this, but the doctor's column in our newspaper always talks about using plain old Vick's salve for toenail fungus. You might want to give that a try.
  5. Get to a dr. or podiatrist. If an infection gets established in there, it will take longer to get rid of. Hit it in its early stages!
  6. Thanks for all the advice. I went to see my dr and got a prescription.