Mystic Tanning

1. Hey! Can someone help out a super pale TPFer??

I really want to try Mystic Tan, but I guess there are several other brands out there....which one is the best?

I know there is Hollywood Tan, for example.

I have spray-tanned before, but the results were kinda streaky. I don't know what brand it was but I know it wasn't the two that I mentioned above.

Any tips/advice? Thanks!:heart:
  2. I do Mystic and in between I use Neutrogena's gradual tanning lotion. This is what the booths look like where I go:
    Here's a little info on it...
    Question:[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] What is the Mystic Tan Booth?[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Answer: The Mystic Tan™ booth is a full-body, DHA tanning process that utilizes MagneTan™ technology, a revolutionary process that allows the booth to apply a uniform amount of tanning solution to all parts of the body. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When the special Mystic Tan™ solution passes through the booth’s nozzles, the particles of solution are polarized, taking on the characteristics of “tiny magnets. ” MagneTan™ technology uses the body's own magnetic properties to attract the solution particles to all surfaces of the skin.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When the tanning process is finished, the consumer simply steps out of the booth, towels-off any excess mist, dresses, and exits. The result is a uniform, natural-looking tan in under five minutes.[/FONT]

Question:[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] What is MagneTan technology?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Answer:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] MagneTan tanning services are featured in the revolutionary Mystic Tan™ tanning booths. MagneTan tanning services offer a unique, revolutionary process that allows the Mystic Tan™ booth to apply a uniform amount of tanning solution to all parts of the body. When the special Mystic Tan™ tanning solution passes through the booths nozzles, the particles of solution are polarized, taking on the characteristics of tiny magnets. MagneTan technology then uses the body's own magnetic properties to attract the solution particles to all exposed surfaces of the skin. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The end result is a uniform and natural-looking, golden brown tan![/FONT]

Question: Will it turn me orange?
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Answer: [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NO! In the past, self-tanners gave many individuals an unnatural orange glow and caused streaking. Most of these undesirable results were caused by improper or ineffective application techniques. Applying creams and lotions by hand usually results in excessive amounts being absorbed in the skin. Excessive amounts applied in a single application can give an orange glow to the skin. Unnatural dark spots may also appear in dry or thick skinned areas such as elbows, knees, and knuckles because these areas have a tendency to absorb more of the cream. Hand held spray-on applicators tend to run and cause streaking. The MagneTan™ technology used to apply the Mystic Tan™ tanning solution assures that all areas of the body get a uniform coating of the solution in the exact quantity required to produce a golden brown tan.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Question:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] How many times do i need to tan with the Mystic Tan tanning process to achieve the color I want?[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Answer:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You will be tan after one session, but it may take a additional session or two to achieve your desired color. Once you reach the color you desire you should be able to maintain it by tanning every four to five days.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Question:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] If I tan in the Mystic Tan tanning booth, can I also tan in tanning beds and in the sun? [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Answer: [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]YES. There is nothing in the Mystic Tan™ tanning solution that would prevent you from tanning in tanning beds or the sun. In fact, a number of customers have found that tanning with UV rays and the Mystic Tan™ tanning solution actually gives them a better overall tan. If you do plan to use a tanning bed and the Mystic Tan booth in the same day we recommend that you tan in the tanning bed first. Remember however, that the Mystic Tan tan does not give you any protection from UV rays.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Question:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Because of my fair skin, I have never been able to tan before. Will the Mystic Tan tanning booth give me a tan? [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Answer:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]YES. The Mystic Tan™ tanning booth was designed specifically for individuals who can't or don't want to tan conventionally. A Mystic Tan user is not only getting a great tan, but a great skin treatment as well.[/FONT]

3. ^Thanks! Very helpful :smile:
  4. Whoa, thanks jenarae :tup:

Now I just need to overcome the fear of being trapped in the booth. :lol: i kid.

Couturegrl - have you thought about getting an airbrush tan? I find that the application is much more even since someone applies it for you.
  5. ^yes I had that done a few years ago...maybe it was the formula the girl used but it came out splotchy :sad:

My hair stylist always has a great faux tan...maybe I should ask where she gets hers done.
  6. aww, really? :sad: Perhaps a really good exfoliation session before you do your next selftan? It might help :shrugs:

ahh, yes, ask your stylist! Always agood idea to ask someone who has an awesome faux tan!
  7. I found the Mystic tan gave me a bit of a orange glow so I wasn't really pleased with it, just my opinion.
  8. Now I just need to overcome the fear of being trapped in the booth. :lol: i kid

I'm scared of it! I won't dare close the door all the way! haha...
  9. Me too.
    I am extremely fair and haven't found anything that doesn't give me an orange tinge.
  10. I use mystic tan when I need a jump works well for me, with no orange, but then again almost all the self taners do. My theory is if you tan easily (as I do) it is easier for the lotions/spray to work. If you don't tan easily normally the sprays and lotions are always going be a tad orangy.

Also, I exfoliate and moisturize like crazy for 2 days before, and always make sure I get a little sun to help it look more natural. JMHO
  11. Thanks everyone!

I will definitely exfoliate the *#$&#* out of my skin before I go next time...

anyone have any good recommendation for exfoliators?
  12. for legs...shave...really! For the rest one of the scruffy ball things and anything with beads etc. Be sure to moisturize too, or any dry areas (knee, elbows, ankles as well as any just dry patches) will retain more spray and be darker.

Good luck!
  13. I tan usually twice a week in a tanning bed (I know, it is so bad:tdown:) and I do the Mystic tan with bronzer at a level 2 once a week. I have found that if I don't tan in a bed or in the sun and have good color, Mystic can look orangey. But, that kinda defeats the purpose of achieving a "healthy" tan with the Mystic.

At my tanning salon, they have the option to do Mystic with an immediate bronzer with a vanilla scent to cover up the DHA smell or a clear version in which your "tan" appears later. I think the one with a bronzer gives much better results and you can see it much sooner plus it does not stink. I used to hate Mystic tan because I felt like I had that stinky self tanner smell for around 4-5 days! The added vanilla scent really kills that issue.

I also recommend buying the Mystic Moist lotion that is sold by tanning salons who have the Mystic tan machine. If you use it prior to Mystic tanning, you will have much better results.

I have only had the streaking issue once and after you have done the Mystic a couple of times, you will figure out what works for you. Also, make sure to exfoliate and shave prior to going in the Mystic and do not use any lotion other than the Mystic Moist prior to going in the Mystic. Regular lotions can totally ruin your results.

Mystic makes their own exfoliator but I use KP Duty which is sold at Sephora and I LOVE it.

I hope this helps!:p
  14. ^Helps ALOT! I was just on their website and was wondering if their products really worked. Based on your review, I will have to check out their moisturizer.

Right now, I have that "Hemp" stuff that they sold me before my last spray tan...not sure if its the best stuff??
  15. I have really become a believer in at least using the Mystic Moist. They sell all sorts of stuff for the Mystic line, but that is the one that I think really does something. I also do something called the "Hydration Station" prior to Mystic tanning. It is like a tanning bed, but no bulbs and has aromatherapy, moisturizers, and steam instead. It is AWESOME for your skin. They have them at most "Planet Beach" tanning salons (Planet Beach is a nationwide company so you might try to find one near you). I have found that the employees and especially the owners of Planet Beach salons are highly educated on tanning and spray tanning. I have been tanning since I was 18 and most people who work at other salons "just work there" and know nothing about the effectiveness of products and how your skin reacts to certain things to get the best results for your hard earned money (no offense to anyone who works at a tanning salon, it is just a generalization).

I would definitely not use the hemp lotion as any kind of oils in a lotion will sort of repel and diminish your Mystic results. I hope this helps you out even more :yes: