My worst LV nightmare! Help!

Wow, so sorry to hear of your bad experience. Try to look for the first SA that sold it to your fiance. She might be more helpful. Once in the store, take your time picking out the best bag. I had to return to Neiman's a total of three times because I was not paying attention to the minute details in store. I am very picky about state of vachetta, alignment of the logos and so forth. They do tend to vary, it being handmade but yours seem to be manufacturing flaws. Fortunately, the SA's at Neiman's are really nice. Lastly, there are lots of snooty SA's that I have encountered in the several LV boutiques I've been to. Just remember that you are there to buy something that you've always wanted and that you will enjoy for years to come. Goodluck and keep us posted.

Sorry for the belated reply. It has been busy leading up to July 4 :smile:.

It helps to realize that I'm not alone when trying to select a well made bag. This being my first experience buying a LV product, I assumed that product problems were extremely rare and that two exchanges in a row might explain the grief they gave us.

UPDATE…

The good news is, my fiancé talked to the boutique manager today — not to be confused with the fellow who identified himself as the leather goods manager. The store manager said he had not heard anything about the situation from his staff, and came across genuinely apologetic.

At one point, the manager asked my fiancé if there was "anything he could do". My fiancé put him on hold and asked me what I wanted, but I was afraid it would be tacky to ask for it: I feel that a 10 percent discount in compensation for the four 60-mile round trips this whole hassle has caused would be the best form of resolution — basically to cover our gasoline or the sales tax, depending on how you look at it — but I have never heard of LV discounting anything even as a form of apology for the lost time or trouble with their staff or products. So I came up with a lame suggestion about asking the manager what they normally do for customers under these circumstances, at which point he offered to sell the bag over the phone and have it delivered. Well, we didn't want to chance having another bag that was a problem so we turned down the offer on the basis that we didn't want to make a "sight unseen" purchase. So rejecting that offer, it left us only with an apology and an offer to help us make a new purchase.

Question: If it were you, would you have asked for a modest discount when asked by a manager what it was that could be done to resolve the situation? Or do you feel that a verbal apology is reason enough to return to the store to make a new purchase? :confused1:

Thanks again for all the supportive posts. This is a great blog with a lot of fantastic LV-loving people, and I appreciate the help! :smile:

Hmmmm.....I dont think i've ever heard of LV giving anyone a discount based on bad treatment, but then again, if someone has expd this, please tell me....
As for returning to the same store, I personally would NOT do it, but thats just me....Im surprised they didnt throw in some freebie gifts that they give to their VIPs, but it doesnt sound like they wanted your business, so I'd take it elsewhere....

It's very, very unlikely to get a discount - it would just degrade the brand "image", as Vuitton is never discounted. However, it's possible that the manager may give you a vip gift.

This is in reply to some random questions:

The boutique is in CA. That's why I couldn't go with eLuxury for a break on sales tax. They charge tax to CA residents, too. It seemed like a safer bet to go to the store, except that we got unlucky. I would still like to believe that the "third time is the charm", LOL.

Also there was a question about whether we might have tipped the scales out of our favor by being too picky or saying things about the quality not being up to to our standards. I wasn't there when the gift was purchased, exchanged or returned so I didn't say anything about quality to anyone in the store (or later over the phone). My fiancé is Mr. Diplomatic and never speaks impulsively or with foot stuck in mouth. I've been with him for what seems like forever and I have never seen him rub anyone the wrong way. So there wasn't anything he said or did other than the mere fact that we needed a second exchange. The employees we ran into were just throwing their weight around for no other reason than the fact that they *could* (that the head manager and the original SA wasn't there when my fiancé made the third trip probably didn't help either. Let's just say we've learned our lesson about calling in advance in the event of returning a product!).

About the piping on the second handbag my fiancé was not permitted to exchange: The corner I mentioned was sewn into the seam so that less than 1/8-inch of leather piping was exposed in a a roughly 1" area. To see the piping cross that corner at all, you had to physically pry open up the canvas edges to see down into the seam. So it wasn't just slightly off, it was waaaay off.

Before my fiancé decided to surprise me by making the long drive to the boutique, I had been going through the eBay listings for about a month trying to educate myself. Some of the LV bags sold by powersellers such as Fashionphile, provide tons of close-up pictures, far more than on eLux. These were used LV bags that didn't have the problems I've described. So while it is true that every purse differs because it is handmade, I would not include what my first post described as being anything like what some of the other "normal" speedy bags look like.

Handmade vs. defective: Partly, I can be confident because in the late part of high school and early college I worked weekends keeping a handbag sales and repair shop open (since mall stores can't close for the owners to take off). Most customers only brought quality items in for repair and not the cheap stuff from KMART. As a result, I ended up with five years of experience and on-the-job training giving repair estimates, telling customers whether an item was possible to repair, observing how products wear with time and use, and how they sometimes fail long before the manufacturer intended because they were defective begin with. So with respect to the leather being wound too tight and fraying on the first speedy's handles — it really was. And with respect to the stain — it was a blackish-brown scuff just like you might see on a brand new pair of white leather shoes. (It's no fun on a new shoe let alone the vachetta on a brand new LV!) Lastly, with respect to the piping it, too, was sewn incorrectly, but only on one corner so that's why my fiancé didn't catch it. On a normal speedy, the piping may dip in and out somewhat, but I would guess that most would agree that the piping shouldn't be swallowed up so that you cannot see the leather at all unless you pull apart the canvas to go looking for it in the depths of the seam!

The reason why this is just a sad story is because my fiancé really DID have bad luck, not through anything he might of said to set anyone off. I'm sure that if they would have spent the time they are paid for to help rather than to argue they could have helped him locate a bag that didn't have scuff marks, frayed leather or the like.

Hopefully, I answered all the questions I missed over the holiday. Once again, I do appreciate the understanding, and the realization that I am not the only one who has had a bad shopping experience. Have a great weekend (coming up)!

No, I would not have asked for a discount, nor do I think they would give you one.

So what are you going to do? You gave the speedy back, and you don't want to order from Elux. What are your other options?

Actually there is a slender hindi lady who works at the US flagship store on 57th street location with the same attitude.

I thought the alignment on my poppincourt was uneven around the zipper area and she said that the bags were hand made and it's not perfect. She refused to help me out beyond that and I was also within my return period.

In my case it was just knit picking on my part so I let it go.

There was another one who told me that the strap splits on the epi pochette because it's not supposed to be worn as a shoulder bag but as a cosmetics type bag, placed within my larger bags. This was when i asked if the split can be fixed. But obviously my bag was in completely new condition, I've used it at most 5 times and kept it in my closet the rest of the time. She gave me the go ahead to take the elevators up to repairs. However I was later told by other friends that they do not repair straps that splits. I don't know.

I really hate the LV SAs....especially when you have a problem with the bags. I had complaints on three bags and two of which was sent to repairs. THey were not very nice about it. They are only nice to you at point of sale. Make sure you check the bags over at point of sale. Don't let them pack them away w/o looking.

I don't think LV makes consistent quality bags. I'm just helplessly in love with the design and style.

It's very, very unlikely to get a discount - it would just degrade the brand "image", as Vuitton is never discounted. However, it's possible that the manager may give you a vip gift.
Ayla,

I love that picture you have of the hamster stuffing his furry face with carrot! Too cute!

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a VIP gift? Might that be an LV key FOB or something along those lines? That would be nice…

No, I would not have asked for a discount, nor do I think they would give you one.

So what are you going to do? You gave the speedy back, and you don't want to order from Elux. What are your other options?

Yeah, that's why I stopped short of asking for a discount. I just didn't know how to answer when the boutique manager asked my fiancé over the phone what he could do for us. In the places where I used to work retail we offered a one-time discount when customers had had a poor shopping experience… so I couldn't think of anything besides a 10 percent discount to cover tax or the cost of having to drive down there four times (which is almost an hour each way).

As it turns out the mall, which we were not at all familiar with because it is so far from our homes, has a Bloomingdale's with a LV boutique inside. It came up on the LV Website when we did a search earlier this evening. They also have one inside Neiman Marcus. I would have never have guessed that they had three LV boutiques in a single mall, but that just shows you what a newbie I am to LV shopping, LOL.

I'm probably going to go back over the weekend (not sure which boutique yet). I will post a photo when I finally get my first speedy!

I have never heard of LV discounting anything

FYI - and maybe for relief - even Ernesto Bertarelli (Alinghi's boss -> Louis Vuitton Cup and America's Cup winner) did not get any discount at LV!

My boss's wife used to be a LV store manager. Mr Bertarelli was invited to one of the LV stores opening and selected several LE bags (worth KKK $$$, believe me!) and then.. asked for a special price! :wtf:
He was answered that the Maison NEVER allows any discount, even to VIPs! :P

Anyway.. did you get your Speedy yet? At least, they could have suggested offering you one of their LV goodies..

Whew, OP, you've made me glad I live too far away from a boutique to shop there. I live 6 hours away roundtrip so I shop at elux.

Which means I can't pick mine out in person either. So far, so good.

I've read a lot here how many of the SA's can be very snobby and unhelpful. I hope when I make my special birthday trip to the boutique I get a nice one.

So good luck to you and I hope you get the most marvelous bag, and that you feel the boutique made it up to you.

Good afternoon fellow LV lovers!

I'm here to post a weekend LV shopping update (sorry it's so long; this is a real shocker, so read on though). As I mentioned in my previous post, I found out there are three LV boutiques in the mall where my fiancé originally went shopping looking to surprise me with a speedy 25. So after my fiancé and I somehow ended up with some initial bad luck (defective duds) that you've read about previously on this thread, I ended up at one of the other locations in the mall earlier today where the atmosphere was much, much better and the sales associates were all smiling and friendly.

The SA we spoke to saw that there was a tear/puncture where the needle had apparently slipped while stitching the leather on the handle of the bag (the latest exchange my fiancé made with the help of the store manager at the first boutique he shopped at).

This time I was smart enough to take a photo that showed a leather flap sticking up, which I noticed only because of what appeared to be a brown spot (the brown color turned out to be the darker-colored interior of the handle showing through the lighter outer layer). There was also some dents on the handle and a blackish smudge on the other side, but we wouldn't have bothered with yet another exchange just to fix a cosmetic issue (not after everything else we've been through, anyhow).

The SA at the "new" boutique was very nice and in response to the problems that we were still experiencing with the merchandise from the other store, he immediately brought out a new speedy, with the plastic still protecting the handles (none of the other purses my fiancé had seen at the first boutique had the plastic sleeves protecting the handles).

I gave the zipper a pull, looked closely at all the stitching, saw that the leather and piping were in excellent condition (due to nobody having handled it). Everything looked good, so we did an exchange, paid the SA a lot of compliments and left (but not before finding out which items my fiancé was interested in, which included a wallet and a business card case that I will be returning to purchase in order to surprise him — he deserves no less after all this!). Anyhow — and you won't believe it — I arrived home and noticed that the leather tabs on either end were not centered and were sticking off to the left of the zipper. At this point, I didn't really consider this observation worth the trouble of trying to do another exchange. It wasn't really a defect like the first problems described in previous posts, so I was going to ignore the lopsided leather tab placement. BUT — and this is where it gets really strange — I turned the leather tab over to see the number printed on the underside and instead of reading "25" it said "30"! On a speedy 25 there are three "LV" monograms in a row on the long side of the bag and two in a row on the short ends. Checking the measurements and the pattern, I confirmed that my so-called "30" was, in fact, a "25"! I also checked the tag with the bar code, and it too said "25"! (We paid for a 25 so this is what we were expecting.)

My fiancé called the store a few minutes ago and spoke to the SA, and the SA said that he had never encountered an incorrectly labeled bag. He encouraged us to return it right away. He said it was too bad it was not a baseball card or it would make it extra valuable. I have heard that sometimes when a manufacturer goofs it does add to the value. One time I was channel surfing and learned about a coin from the US mint that came out wrong, which made it valued at over $20,000 (to collectors, anyhow).

At first my fiancé and I were just laughing — it is so "our luck" with these handbags since this all started with his first trip to a boutique on June 27.

After I got to thinking about the implications of a mismarked speedy, my guess is that if I were to someday sell my vintage speedy on eBay that I may have my listing removed on the false assumption that it is a knockoff, or the would-be bidders who send the pictures to MyPoupette.com to have them authenticated or who start discussions on forums like this would most likely be told that the bag is a replica due to the wrong number being printed on the tab (the number "30" is also printed in larger type than the "25" imprints that were on the other bags — not sure why).

I'm leaning toward keeping the speedy 25 bag that is marked as a 30 because I'm getting to the point where I am doubtful our luck will change, and because my fiancé has presently spent something like eight hours on the road trying to resolve these bizarre issues (not counting the initial trip/purchase).

On the one hand, it is kind of a novelty to see a mistake like this. On the other hand, it occurred to me that if I come back in 10 years asking for new handles to be put on my vintage bag, the boutique may not have the same employees, they won't have my name on file since it is a gift, and on top of all that it wasn't exchanged in the same store where it was bought. For all of the above reasons, the staff at that time might assume I'm bringing in one of those 7-star replicas for work, if only because nobody will ever believe that a mislabled speedy 25 ever got past the factory doors and into the boutique where I found it earlier today.

I should have checked the imprint on the tab when I was in the store, but I was too busy trying to rule out the first issues we had, not thinking a new problem would pop up.

I'm still shaking my head. This is just unbelievable!!!!!! I am just as shocked as I imagine most everyone else is!

Well, gotta run… I'll keep everyone updated.