My thoughts about this.

here's my opinion. . .
thank goodness there's a few girls who are knowledgable enough and generous enough w/ their time to give their unbiased opinions! LOVE the girls that check the Authenticate This! Chanel often, they
Most definitely! I was able to buy a 'hard to find' bag because the ladies quickly answered my authentication questions. Time was of the essence!

So, when you write:
On a safe guard, I suggest that to avoid hassels, simply go to your local Chanel Boutique to purchase one.
My bag was no longer available in stores, but more importantly, there are students here and women who are not willing to go into debt to buy a handbag and eBay is a great alternative. :smile:

Shouldn't we all exercise our own discrection... <snipped>

I agree and I don't think anyone ever said the word of the ladies who donate their time was the absolute final word BUT I would hope (and I'm sure most would agree) that anyone who is buying a $$$ bag via ebay would care enough to do their own research in addition to the opinions given.

Scams and fakes have been going on way before ebay and will continue to go on when we are all able to teleport ourselves to the nearest Chanel boutique so I don't think we should put down any opinions simply because they come via the Internet. I look at the help here as relying on the kindness of strangers and most of the time, thanks *to* the Internet, the advice they give can be backed up on several other groups and through several other online outlets in minutes.

A big :tup: to everyone who takes the time to give their unbiased opinions.

I agree with this statement. It's the only way to be 100% sure. Unfortunately for many people there isn't a Chanel boutique nearby they can simply pop into to buy whatever their heart desires and so eBay is the only option. Or some people are looking for bags that are retired and no longer sold by Chanel, again eBay is the only option.

Are the opinions of the authenticators on this forum biased? I don't think so. However, it is an OPINION based on their experience as collectors of Chanel and the people requesting an authentication should consider that it is an opinion (based on experience) and not a fact of authentication.

I agree with this statement. Of course, buying Chanel Directly into the boutiques is the best option of all. But if it's out of stock, nowhere to be found, the best options is ebay.

Thank God for the authenticators of this forum! Or a lot of us will be scammed on ebay! :biggrin:

Let's us agree that the intention was to help those who are newbies (who has not own chanel bags) & needed help to authenticate it, so that they will not be scammed

Firstly, the ladies that do offer their assistance on the Authenticate thread kick ass! :smile: It's not a job that everyone is willing to do and they've helped many members avoid purchasing fakes!

Yes, buying at a Chanel boutique can give you peace of mind but there are also many authentic Chanel items on eBay. I browse eBay often and have found bags from past seasons that are no longer available in stores. Not all of us can afford to purchase the bags that we want as soon as they're released and I often find myself falling in love with particular bags of the past only after a year or two after their debut. :love:

Where else am I going to find these 'vintage' bags if not on eBay? There aren't many designer consignment stores in Melbourne and even if there were, the range would be tiny compared to eBay's global marketplace.

With Chanel's ever increasing prices, I find myself turning more to eBay for purchases. Even if I absolutely LOVE a bag and think that it's worth the $$$$ that I paid for it, it still stings to see the same item on sale on eBay for a much lower price after only a few months. :sad: When I consider that the difference could have gone towards the purchase of something else, buying online sometimes feels like the more feasible option. :girlsigh:

I agree. With prices increase continuously, it's hard to avoid ebay and consignment shop and not taking big risk of buying fake. I do appreciate the girls here contribute their time to help authenticate. They offer their best advice based on what they know. That is good enough to me. When Chanel prices pass 4k limit, I'll turn to ebay. Then, I accept all the risks and hopefully the girls here help minimize the risk I take.