My sister was diagnosed with PCOS - advice?

1. My sister was recently diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). She told me all about her condition and the symptoms that it causes. There is no cure but apparently there are different way to treat the individual symptoms. She seems really depresseda about it and it makes me incredibly sad too. :crybaby:

Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks.
  2. I was diagnosed with this last March. I've had lots of problems with my weight and with my period for the past few years. My OBGYN and nutritionist said the easiest way to improve it is to control your eating (low sugar and glucose, etc.), and to go on some kind of birth control. Some women go on medication for life, but this just doesn't sit right with me. There are several forums online that offer advice and support, I really like My heart goes out to her!
  3. heya, I have it too. I have IR and PCOS. I went to an endo who put me on Metformin and low GI diet. Im still trying to lose the weight. I also am a member of I highly recommend it. I learnt so much about PCOS and even though each day is a struggle, im feeling alot better about it. PM me if u want more info, I have so much!
  4. Ah I know how she feels. I was diagnosed when I was 20 and I will be 40 in April. For all these years It has been a huge struggle on lots of things, weight gain (and hard to lose it) hair loss, infertillity. But my biggest worry was not being able to conceive since like you said no cure for PCOS (recently tried Metformin though) so my reproductive endo put me fertility drugs etc etc and lo and behold I was a few weeks from starting the treatment again when I found out I was pregnant with my little miracle who is now 4. I know how lucky I am to have him even though it was a difficult pregnancy since I ended up getting gestational diabetes bcuz of PCOS my docs said. I recommend you and her to look up online the many support groups you can find . I know my family learned about it with me for support. I still have my good and bad days but I will not forget how lucky I am!
  5. My best friend was diagnosed with this a few years ago....she lost a bunch of weight and it really helped her and she was able to conceive!!

She told me that losing the weight was what helped her the most!!
  6. I have it and so does my mom, but she didnt know it until we went to the endroconrologist together in 2003. I control it with BC, because I have a mild case. When I wasn't in BC in high school- I was a train wreck in the female department. I also had to loose weight and go on a diet. For the most part, I have kept the weight off. I also come from a family who is "at risk" for type 2 diabeties. I really just have to monitor what I eat and excerise.

Oh and my sister, 21 does not have it. Comes from my mom's side of the family- grandma has it too. Somehow it missed my sister.
  7. I was diagnosed with PCOS several years ago. I take Spironolactone to control my symptoms. For me really the worst part about it is that I can't get health insurance because of it. I learned a lot on the website.