My Pet Passed Away

Hi, everyone!

It has been a week since I last visited the forum. It has been quite an ordeal but I am getting through it one day at a time.

In the meantime, I would like to thank all of you for your responses. I am so overwhelmed by your openness and sincerity. My heart is greatly touched by your kind words of compassion, encouragement and support. I wept as I read each of your entry. I want you all to know I have taken some of your great advice, including but not limited to the Marley & Me book suggestion (I am only on Chapter 3 and it is a great book so far).

Thank you again. Your words have really been a great source of comfort during this time.

Baglady

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your pet. I lost my friend 2 1/2
years ago. A friend sent me this poem and it brought me great comfort. Perhaps it will do the same for you. (petloss.com)

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author Unknown

I am really heart-broken for you. I have 2 beloved pets in my life and it can be really devastating. Even though I am a cat person, I love all animals, including my husband's German Shep.
I think (and this may be goofy), but I feel that they are probably waiting for us somewhere in the afterlife.
I have definite beliefs in there being an afterlife and that it is a pleasant place to be.

Baglady,
So sorry to hear. Like many here, I can empathize with your pain. A terrible terrible loss. My dogs are 10 and 7 and the pleasure of seeing them every day is always mixed with the bittersweet of knowing they are with us for only a short time. My heart goes out to you.

Five years ago, in Buenos Aires, our very old dog passed away. He was very sick and there was no cure... he was around 20 human years old (don't know how many "dog's yrs" that is!!). The thing is I left him 5' alone and he died. I cried my eyes out and buried him in our garden. I really cried for a couple of days.
One year later, I was already living in the Netherlands and our other dog (his daugher, actually) also passed away of a heart attack... My mother was in tears, I was on the phone in tears, everybody was crying in both sides of the Atlantic.
Now I have a cat and even when I'm travelling I miss her loads... I had pets all my life, and every death is really painful... That's why I cannot understand how there can be people that "enjoy" hurting animals (or go seal-hunting!!)... I'm always about to cry every time I see even a picture of an animal "in need"....
Sorry for such a long post... It's just my heart melts when I talk about animals....

I don't know how I missed this thread. Sorry to be coming in late on this but please know that hearing about your loss makes my heart very heavy. Your little doggy was very fortunate to have you for a mama. He sounds like he had an incredibly full, happy, loving life and thats the best thing any animal can hope for. Your pain will eventually turn into really wonderful, happy memories in time.

And when you're ready, there will be another happy little critter out there just waiting for you to love him/her too!
:love:
hugsxoxohugs

Baglady I am so sorry :cry: :cry: :cry:. I don't even know what to say other than I believe that God does not give us more than we can handle. So my prayers are out to you. I am so happy that you were able to have 14 amazing years with your doggy, I hope that our are with us that long too.
Lots of Hugs...