My Music: BLENDER does this and I thought it would be fun if we did it, too!

1. Every once in a while, BLENDER magazine has a section called "My Music." It's where famous people go through their music collections.

I would read them and think, "God! I would SO love to respond to categories like that!"

Some of the category are really specific to the person being 'interviewed,' but I went through the lists and picked some general questions we could answer.

. . . . Feel free to make up your own categories! Customize this list so it fits your music collection.

FIRST ALBUM I BOUGHT/STOLE

Michael Jackson's Bad
    Paula Abdul's Forever Your Girl

When I was younger I was familar with Michael Jackson, Madonna and Cyndi Lauper and that's about it. For other types of music, I would hear about it visiting my cousins.
    When my family and I travelled, my brother and I weren't interested in souvenirs, but we loved the variety of music available. On Kwajalein, it didn't really occur to us to get music there, because what was the point? We lived there. An advantage of living on Kwajalein was that it was really easy for us to travel. We started equating traveling with possibly getting a new cassette tape, which was exciting.

Bad was the first album bought for me. I remember being in Hong Kong at the time. My mom got it for my brother and I to share and we took turns listening it on our walkmans.

Forever Your Girl was the first album I bought with my own allowance. I remember being in Hawaii at the time. My cousin had the exact same tape, and I loved it so much that I wanted my own copy and got so excited when I found it in the Ala Moana Mall in Honolulu.

(I don't have either of them anymore, because they're on cassette, but I do have Michael Jackson's Greatest Hits, HIStory, Volume 1, which has a lot of the same songs that were on Bad.)

SONGS THAT BRING ME BACK

Oh, GOD! Um, that would be songs, plural: Rump Shaker by Wreck N Effect
    Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice
    Baby Got Back by Sir Mix A Lot

off the album Monsters of Rap.

Ah, sixth and seventh grade dances!

THE ALBUM THAT BRINGS THE DRAMA

Hole Live Through This

In eighth grade, whenever I got REALLY pissed off, I'd mostly listen to the song Violet. The c.d. used to be my brother's, he didn't want it anymore and he gave it to me.

I loved the idea of getting out your aggression that way.

THE ALBUM THAT BONDS ME WITH DAD

The Monty Python Instant Record Collection

My dad and I would often drive to Vermont to visit my sister, and I remember listening to this with him during one of our road trips.

ALBUMS THAT GIVE ME A LITTLE CRED

Take your pick:

Journey's The Essential Journey
    Guns 'N Roses Greatest Hits
    Queen Greatest Hits
    Lynard Skynard Extended Versions: The Encore Collection

I picked these to show the variety of my collection.

I wouldn't say I'm mostly drawn to one specific type of music. I like whatever moves me. (And bonus points if I can sing along.)

ALBUMS THAT ARE LIKE SOOO DEEP

Kanye West Late Registration
    Kanye West College Dropout

His isn't the typical stuff about bling and *****es and hos.

He raps about religion, racism and the violence involved in getting the bling that rappers talk about so much. It makes you think.

THE CD FOR OBLIGATORY HEADBANGING

Guns N' Roses Greatest Hits

Paradise City, Baby!

(Oh, and Bohemian Rhapsody off of Queen's Greatest Hits.)

ALBUMS THAT BRING OUT MY INNER BURLESQUE DANCER

Pussycat Dolls PCD

Tease! The Best of Burlesque

Before I found this cd, jazz never really interested me. I heard this and realized I LOVE burlesque jazz. My favorite is The Stripper by David Rose. The entire cd is not 'spin around a pole in a thong' it's 'strut around in high heels.'

ALBUMS I JUST LOSE MYSELF IN

Bond Born
    Bond Remixed
    Bond Classified

Often times, when I at home listening to music, I just stop what I'm doing, lean back and close my eyes. I'll do that with any music, but more often than not I find myself doing that with Bond.

Epecially with The 1812 off of Born.

I love what Bond does with classical music. It's this cool rock/classical fusion.

CDS THAT CONVINCE ME THAT, IN ANOTHER LIFE, I'D BE ON BROADWAY

Chicago
    Monty Python's Spamalot!
    Rent
    The Phantom of the Opera
    The Producers

I know the songs on all of these and I do not hesitate to sing along.