My Knee Hurts......

1. Now what? I am used to doing either the Step Mill for 45-60 minutes 5 times a week or running 4 miles 2 or 3 times a week! What cardio can I do that won't hurt my knee?
  2. Do you have access to a swimming pool? Swimming is good exercise, and won't hurt your knee. I
  3. Oops, sent it before I was finished. :o) I hope you feel better.

Also, make sure you're wearing the proper shoes for the type of exercise you're doing. And be sure to replace them, for running you really need a good pair of shoes.
  4. Do you have access to an elliptical machine, stationary bike? Or maybe you're doing it too long? I also suggest exercising every other day rather than day-after-day. You need to rest those muscles! I hope you feel better as well!
  5. Thank you. I will try the elliptical and the bike and give myself days off instead of consecutive days. I am good with alternating my shoes all the time but now I have a boo-boo on the outer left toe so I need to wear mole skin no matter which shoe I wear.
  6. Sorry about the knees. I gave up running and started spinning about eight years ago. Now I spin 5 days a week and love it -- just as good cardio as running -- may-be better --and totally safe, and even fun.

Once your knees start to hurt, you really should consider giving up exercise that involves impact.

Also, glucosamine / chondroitin supplements really do help.

Also, Cho-pat knee braces.

Hope you're feeling better soon!
  7. heat before work out ice afterwards

and pool therapy is amazing
  8. i blew out my knee about two years ago, and the best stuff for a sore knee is swimming, since it has zero impact but stretches and strengthens your muscles. if you can't do that, stationary bike - since you sit, your knee doesn't have to absorb the shock of your body weight. i'd only step up to elliptical after it's been feeling better for a few days.

this may also be a sign that you need to vary your workout. since you do that much on the stair stepper 5 times a week, you're probably putting a lot more wear and tear on your knees than the average person. try switching it out twice a week with elliptical or swimming if you can and you can probably ward off a lot of future soreness.

i hope you feel better! sore knees are about the worst thing ever.