My hair started falling out!

Dec 14, 2006
Recently my hair has been falling out and thinning alot! I had a lot of stress and a poor diet recently so I think it's due to that. I didn't think it was that noticable but today my bf asked me if I was balding :cry:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can thicken my hair and stop it from falling out???

Maybe try taking supplements like Prenatal vitamins...also, Bumble and Bumble makes a new line that is specifically formulated to help with thinning hair.

Good luck :smile:

I would actually see a doctor too just to be sure. I know that I lost hair due to stress and diet change (I became a vegetarian) but only I ever really noticed. It wasn't a significant amount of hair.

I think hair thinning can also be due to thyroid problems (which are very easily remedied by medication.) I strongly encourage you to visit a doctor just in case, as it sounds like you're losing quite a bit. Good luck!

I was going to mention the thyroid thing too. I was diagnosed w/underactive thryoid and when researching info about it , it does mention hair loss. Luckily that wasn't one of my symptoms. Good luck!

You need to see a doctor and have some blood work done. In the mean time, I would suggest some multi vitamins and using a system called Nioxin. It is a shampoo (to cleanse the scalp) a conditioner (to condition and ready the scalp) and a Bio-nutrient Treament (to nourish the scalp). It is a system for balding men and simply helps to slow down your natural regeneration process. It will, quite frankly, keep more hairs in your head! It works very well, too.
I experienced Alopecia Areata during a stressful time in my life and I went to the dermatologist who simply said, "What you have is Alopecia Areata, it's when your hair starts to fall out. We don't know why it does but it does. Fill the script for some drops and if it doesn't help in 3 months, come back and see me. blah, blah, blah....)
Well, I thought, "Durh, I'm a hairstylist I know it's Alopecia Areata and quite frankly I could BE BALD IN THREE MONTHS!" So I threw the script in the trash, went and got on Nioxin and never looked back!!

But again, I would stil have the bloodwork done as losing hair from all over the head and not just in patches could be signs of something more serious than stress. So, do get that done and run out today and get the Nioxin System. Make sure you use all three, shampoo, conditioner and treatment!
Get everything in check and it will come back!
Good luck!

This happened to me too about 9 years ago when I was under serious, serious stress.

I wish I'd had the sage advice of Ilikemike65 back then!

My hair did grow back, in fact, even after losing some hair after pregnancy (which is entirely normal) My hair is thicker now then it ever has been.

Go see a doctor, like everyone else has suggested, but unless it's indicative of a larger health problem, it should grow back.

Good luck, I really sympathize!

I had massive hair loss last year as well due to stress & poor diet, it went on for months even after the stress was gone :sad: I looked after my diet seriously since then and it gradually improved. Eat healthily & increase your protein intake by drinking soy milk everyday. Having your hair cut shorter helps too when it is thinning. It's also worth a visit to the doctor as everyone else suggested, just to make sure there's no bigger problem behind.

I think you should see a doctor, just to be on the safe side. If nothing's wrong, try vitamins or the treatments they have mentioned here before.. But seeing a doctor right away is my advice!

hey i just had lost lots of hair these past few months but my friend took me to an african store and they had a shampoo for everyone that would make your hair grow thicker and after using it for several days, i saw massive results. so my advice is that you go look for african stores and i guarantee you that they have products like that

Between stress and a new medicine I'm losing a lot as well. Its driving me crazy, I feel like I'm going to have no hair left after this!! Luckily I have a lot of thick hair so its not visually noticeable, but I can feel it and its so depressing.

Don't try anything until you speak with your doctor! It could be just the stress/poor diet, but it could also be a serious disease/condition. So please please contact your doctor before doing anything that you may regret later.

Hope you get better!! Good Luck.