My First Speedy - Mono or Damier?

1. I'm planning to get a speedy as a Christmas present for myself. In another thread, I was confused on the size but now I have decided to get a 30. I was sure of getting the damier but on 2nd thought, maybe the mono.

Here's the thing:

I love the mono but its just EVERYWHERE! Plus, I'm scared of the vachetta hehe

As for the damier, I was soo sure it was the perfect one because it wasn't too common and it didn't have vachetta. However, when I was trying it on, a friend of mine said that the checkerboard pattern looked too masculine.

Now, I am utterly confused!! :confused1: :crybaby:Please help! I really want to get this bag before the price increase.

2. The damier does have vachetta just like the mono. I am confused about your concern. The bags both have vachetta handles. Is that what you mean?

I would buy the mono. I love mine and while it is copied, it's not hard to know what's real and what isn't. I am sure you won't regret it! Good luck!

3. oh sorry, i meant the damier ebene :smile:

4. I don't think the Damier is too masculine. the Damier speedy 25 was my first bag and I still love it! Don't let what your friend said affect you...if you like it, then go with it!

5. both are great choices so u really cant go wrong... get what YOU love though.

6. How about the Mini Lin Speedy? No Vachetta to worry about and you still get the LV logo and not that many people have them. It is my favorite.

[​IMG]

7. I love the mono. I have the damier but I hardly ever use it. It does feel a little more masculine. I use the damier if I have a job interview or something like that. When I want to look more femine and pretty I use the mono. I have the speedy in both 25 and 30 in mono, and the 25 in damier. I almost always use the mono one - just love it more. Once it starts to get a patina - it's SO easy to tell real from fake. I kind of enjoy carrying my real one around people who are carrying fakes. I always notice they look at mine and then put their eyes down and look away - must be embarassing to carry a fake.

Get what you love. The damier is nice in the winter. It doesn't have vachetta handles - not sure what the other poster was talking about - they are dark brown leather.

Realize too - you can get your leather replaced on the mono speedy a year or two out if it bothers you. When my speedy 25 got dark, I had the handles, chads (where the handles attached) and tabs replaced. It cost me $140.00 and the bag looked brand new. The piping hadn't darked much, so you couldn't even tell it was any different. The bag was gorgeous!

Don't be afraid of the vachetta on the mono bag. Once it gets that gorgeous honey color - it's very obviously real compared to the fakes. You'll just make the fakers jealous. ENJOY!

8. I prefer the size 30 in the mono more, but if you want something more subtle so people will not know it is LV right away and something that is low maintenance, I would recommend damier.

9. I had that dilemma this summer, but I chose the Damier Canvas so I wouldn't worry about the vachetta. I feel the same way you do about the Monogram Speedys - they're everywhere! I probably will get one, someday, and a Damier Azur, haha.

Get what you LVOE!

10. I won't choose both. I prefer MINI LIN.

11. You won't wrong with Damier ;)

I personally prefer Damier Azur but since you've a 'problem' with vachetta, I'll say for Damier, not Azur. I'm not too keen Mono unless it's Manhattan, Mizi, Theda or Leonor :p

12. My votes goes to Damier as you were initially attracted to it and it will be more worry-free for you. I am a little tired of seeing mono speedies on every other person's arm, fake or not. But that's JMHO--you need to get what you love!

13. You can't make a wrong decision, really. My Damier Speedy 30 was my first LV, and I love it! It is so practical, even in bad weather, that I get a lot of use out of it. I don't think it's too masculine, although it is more understated than the mono. You can always dress it up with a scarf or charm, too.

14. I just bought my first LV, a Damier Speedy 25 on my trip to Hong Kong (o/t the SA's there are SO nice). I chose the Damier because I too, was also afraid of the patina turning color. I disagree with what your friend said about the style looking too masculine. If you like the Damier, get it! You won't regret it!

15. Mono