my first Chanel: The East-West flap (lots of pictures)

1. Hi all! A recent fashion dilemma lead to my very first Chanel purse. Brevity is not my strong point, so please excuse this if it gets long-winded. :smile:

A couple weeks ago I asked the Balenciaga forum for recommendations on an evening bag. My boyfriend was performing at a party thrown at the Hayden Planetarium the next night, and I needed something small (but not too small), practical for dancing or moving through the crowds, and not too casual.

After a ton of dedicated searching through the forum and visiting the BalNY boutique, I did not find anything I liked. I was on Fifth Avenue, and Chanel was closed for the night. Luckily, Bergdorf Goodman was open for another hour, and I met a wonderful SA who took me up to the Chanel mini boutique. After all my research, I through caution (and fiscal responsibility) to the wind, and found something that worked for me, the East-West flap.
    [​IMG]

It hurt a little realizing I could have gotten the largest Balenciaga bag for the price, but out of all my collection, I think this little bag has the most staying power. It's a classic style, the caviar leather seems very durable, and it holds just the right amount for an evening out. I did not know previously that the strap length is so versatile, I like the idea of shortening it to clutch length.
    [​IMG]

The full strap length has about a 10 inch / 26 cm drop, which fits nicely against the body. Visually, I preferred the double strapped medium flap, but the higher price and extra flap inside dissuaded me.
    [​IMG]

This is one of the new ones which means it was the new price ($1760 :crybaby:) and has a pocket on the back. Here it is sitting on an H scarf, which a Chanel glossimer for size reference. I don't know how functional the pocket is; it would fit my MetroCard, but I'd be afraid of it falling out. For that night, I just stuck my drink tickets in there while waiting on line.

[​IMG]

By the way, does anyone else's E/W not fit in the dustbag? This is the most I can close mine:
    [​IMG]

IMG_0334.jpg IMG_0307.jpg IMG_0310.jpg IMG_0304.jpg IMG_0301.jpg
  2. continued!
    Size was a huge consideration for me, and the smallest flap barely fit my wallet. That night I carried my essentials, but when I (eventually) get a smaller wallet, I'll be able to fit more. For now, wallet, phone, camera, and lipstick is good enough!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, I did not get a lot of good pictures from that night. (Oh look, a blurry Chanel bag!) The party photog took a couple pics of us, here's me, standing behind my boyfriend and my head. Sorry I can't show you properly, but I loved the way it looked -- not terribly conspicuous but definitely stylish. Fortunately, it had a seat of honor (and safety) next to my boy's rig.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading! I'm delighted with my new Chanel, hopefully I'll be able to splurge again sometime in the future. For now, I'm enjoying all of your gorgeous posts! :flowers:

DSC03947.jpg DSC03948.jpg
  3. Congratulations! That's a great bag. And she does look very stylish next to your bf........You'll find the e/w really useful for daily run arounds too!

4. YAY for you!! :yahoo: Nice pics!!!!! I'm glad the e/w worked for you....Ya, you can't go wrong with Chanel that's for sure. You'll be able to use it for years to come......very classy!!!!!!:tup:

Congrats n' Enjoy!!!!!!!!! :wlae:

5. lovely! congrats on your first chanel! and enjoy!

6. lovely first chanel~! congrats!

7. Congrats!! Such a pretty bag. :amuse:

8. very pretty purse indeed, congrats!

9. congrats! what a great classic piece! about the dustbag..I believe that's how they all are...my med/large fits the same in its dustbag (like it's about to burst out!)

10. cOngrats !!! Perfect choice for a small evening bag!

11. it's beautiful! perfect bag for the evening and even for the day!

12. Cute bag and good Chanel in Action shot :biggrin:

13. Congratulations! That's a great looking bag and I loved all your photos.

14. congrats on selecting a very lovely and functional chanel bag! :flowers:

15. very nice! congrats