My first Chanel bag... OMG!

1. hi everyone. im kinda new to the forums, usually just lurk and look at all the pix.

buuuut i just got my first chanel bag. a black satin melrose cabas. and as much as i love it, im iffy about it because of the satin. im afraid it will get snagged easily and wont be as durable as a leather bag would be.

my question is, for my first chanel bag, should i go for something more classic? preferrably leather? like a gst or medallion? actually i love the coco cabas but according to all the threads ive read here, its impossible to find! :tdown:

please help! :woohoo:
  2. The satin cabas has a great price (for a Chanel). For your first Chanel though, I would personally pick something more classic and durable. Something that will stand the test of time not only style-wise but in terms of durability as well.

A GST, Medallion, or classic flap (I personally love the jumbo) made of caviar leather will last for ages. :yes:
  3. I think the Melrose Cabas is cute, but if you're already iffy about it, then perhaps you can take it back and put it towards something more classic (as missisa recommended and put so well).

IMHO, your first Chanel should be a definite classic whose looks will not only stand the test of time, but the durability will too (i.e. caviar!).

Anyhow, when it comes down to it, you should just do what's right for YOU. If you LOVE the Melrose Cabas (and it IS a lovely bag) then stick with it. BUT, if you feel that you will UNDOUBTABLY love something else (that is more classic) even more... then definitely do it and don't look back.

You should 110% love your first Chanel because it's special. -All Chanels are special, but you always remember your first! Good luck!
  4. I love the look of the melrose cabas but I think satin is quite difficult to take care of.
    If you really want a baby cabas, there are quite a few on eBay....authenticate it here first.
    As for the classics, don't buy a Chanel just because it's a classic, get something you really LOVE!!!!
  5. Congratulations on your first Chanel!

Your first Chanel should be a bag that you like, not necessarily a classic. Choose one that will suit you the best, IMO.
  6. doesn't necessarily classic, it have to be something u love the most from all the options. i think my first chanel was the baby cabas, i bought it about the same week with my vintage jumbo caviar classic but i don't remember which one first
  7. where is the pic? how am I going to feed my visual addiction?
  8. Whatever your first Chanel is, classic or not, you should love the bag. If you adore the satin Cabas than stick with that and use the heck out of it. However if you're worried about taking it out, then exchange it and go for a leather Chanel that you feel you can use in more circumstances. But pick something that makes your heart leap! Don't worry about classic or not.
  9. I went for a classic for my first Chanel!
  10. Most people go for a classic for their first Chanel, but if you're not the type of person who's really drawn to a classic, then definitely go for something else. It doesn't matter if you buy the quintessential "first Chanel bag" if it doesn't fit your needs and your personal style. All you'll wind up doing is lusting after another bag and not truly enjoying your first Chanel purchase. Make sure you love the melrose, it's a bag you will wear alot and one that "speaks to you". If it does, then you should keep it and enjoy it. If it doesn't, then you should wait and try on a bunch of different bags until you find the right one for YOU. Good luck and congrats!
  11. ^ agreed with many of the above.. if you love it, keep it and enjoy it. There's no "correct" choice for a first Chanel bag. No worries, you can add a "classic" to your collection later. I think the cabas is a very cute style that can be worn for years to come just as well as a classic. Congrats on the 1st!
  12. awww thanks for all the advice everyone.

so far i think im going to keep it. its a fun bag and although its not classic, i figure ill just get a classic bag when i get a bit older. im still in college right now so after i graduate and get a "real" job, then ill prolly invest in a classic bag.

besides, the whole price increase thing kinda pissed me off. i was looking into getting a bag a few months ago but i didnt. if i end up with a classic then i should have just gotten it before the increase! haha
  13. I love the satin cabas, its a fun bag, enjoy it and go for a classic later!
  14. :tup:
  15. Kinda late but...

Thanks to all the opinions and info on the forums, I returned the satin cabas and got the medallion in black w/ silver. i looooovvvveeee it!!!!

the satin i was too paranoid to take outside the house! haha