My experience with a Macy's salesperson when buying a new bag.

Husband or boyfriend? What does that have to do with what bag(s) you want/can buy? As if, having a significant other is the only way to buy expensive things? Not only is this woman a rude SA, she's also stuck in the 1950s. P*sses me off when a man thinks that way, it's even worse when a WOMAN thinks that way!

I too have had a bad experience with a Macy's SA: I saw this funky bag (CBGB?) and it was hanging with a bunch of other bags that were like an addtional 25% off. Now, I know people move stuff around and that maybe this bag didn't qualify for the extra savings but I thought, it's a cool bag, I will check it out.

So I take it to the counter and this other customer is right behind me--a very conservative, blonde nice looking woman (I had on overalls, chunky sandals, hair in a ponytail--not the fanciest of looks) and the SA looks at the blonde woman first but the blonde nicely points out that I was there first.

I ask about the bag and the SA scans it and says in a nasty voice "there isn't an additonal discount and with tax this bag is nearly $300" like no way could I afford it (I was carrying a $600+ Gustto that day, btw). I said thank you but I wasn't going to buy it--(I should have and then returned it the next day!). And then the nice conservative blonde woman said to me as I was leaving "that's a really cute bag"--she also noticed the SA was a total b****.

Why would any sales person NOT want to make a sale!!?? I don't get it, except they are just unhappy and basically crabs. But recently I did buy a great Juicy Leather Big Fluffy bag (I just love it and I am not a Juicy-type of gal) from another Macy's and it was a really nice experience--the SA even checked to see if I could get more off the bag (but sadly, no).

I didn't complain about the crab because I thought every one has a bad day and I don't want someone to lose their job because of me. And our Macy's used to be a Marshall Fields and isn't doing well anyway.

The SAs in these stories DESERVE to lose their jobs! That sort of talk to a customer is way out of line, regardless of how a customer looks. That is the sort of thing that makes people not want to shop their store, so managers WANT to know when these things happen.

I managed retail for years while I was in school, and learned first-hand that the way a customer looks is NOT indicative of their pocketbook or their taste or their willingness to spend. Any SA who thinks s/he is too good for a customer ought to assess their career decision.

Yes, everyone has bad days, but every manager out there will tell employees that you either leave it at the door or at least keep your mouth shut when you come to work. Customers don't care WHY you mistreat them, only that they are mistreated. All of these SAs deserve to have customers like you guys talk to their manager, preferably in person, because they are doing irreparable damage to their store and their store's reputation.

Sighs, this makes me think of the customers who come to my work place and get all nasty and just plain out rude. Sighs. That kind of stuff happens to the employee and the customer. People who get aggressive, rude, and mean in public just don't understand that if they do that, they won't get what they want. If I was being yelled at, how likely am I going to want to help that person. Same with the SA, how likely can you make a sale if you act like that. Commission or none you still got to have more pride in your work.

I've heard about how in other countries people have alot of pride and are grateful with their work. They have dignity when they are in public.

I probably would have said something rude like "Oh you don't have a husband or boyfriend? I wonder why :whistle:"...

I've had cashiers say things like "WOW! That's expensive!" or "That's fancy!" It doesn't offend me... And if that cashier's rent is really $1000/month and she works at Macys I would feel bad getting her fired. I don't think she meant to offend you, that's probably just a lot of money to her and she felt a little jealous and insecure. I don't think it was a polite thing for her to say, but I personally don't think she should be fired for it :shrugs:...

This is really unprofessional. I think it is ok to say that the bag is expensive, but it is NOT ok to make any comment about boyfriend/husband. It is totally offensive. You really should make a complain. She is bitter. I could get pass that if she only said thing about the rent. I don't care much as people make all kind of different incomes anyway. But the bf/husband part ... this SA is getting too personal. Also, I would think that she sort of looks down on me as if I can't make this kind of money myself. This is not the year 1900, professional women work and get high income!

I'm going to go against the grain and say not to report her.

Granted, she was out of line but let's just assume she really was blown away and basically jealous of the fact that you were able to spend that amount and be happy about it!

She works at MACYS which I would assume is not the highest paying job ever (but still respectable) and maybe couldn't fathom ever spending that amount of money on ANYTHING besides her rent.

We all say stupid things ever once in awhile. Maybe this was her slip up?

But contrary to what I said, I'm sorry you left the store feeling any less than ecstatic. You shouldn't feel that way but you shouldn't let other people get you down. You got a great bag that you should enjoy!

I've had cashiers say things like "WOW! That's expensive!" or "That's fancy!" It doesn't offend me... And if that cashier's rent is really $1000/month and she works at Macys I would feel bad getting her fired. I don't think she meant to offend you, that's probably just a lot of money to her and she felt a little jealous and insecure. I don't think it was a polite thing for her to say, but I personally don't think she should be fired for it :shrugs:...

I'm new on this forum, but I agree with this point, Claire. I feel privileged to be able to afford expensive toys like designer purses or scarves (my particular weakness). And let's face it, $500 is a lot of money for a purse.

I would give a factual report of the experience to a store manager and ask that the employee be counseled. But firing? That's an inappropriate level of discipline. IMHO, of course.

Enjoy your lovely new bag. You'll have it long after you've forgotten all about this incident.

I'm going to go against the grain and say not to report her.

Granted, she was out of line but let's just assume she really was blown away and basically jealous of the fact that you were able to spend that amount and be happy about it!

She works at MACYS which I would assume is not the highest paying job ever (but still respectable) and maybe couldn't fathom ever spending that amount of money on ANYTHING besides her rent.

We all say stupid things ever once in awhile. Maybe this was her slip up?

But contrary to what I said, I'm sorry you left the store feeling any less than ecstatic. You shouldn't feel that way but you shouldn't let other people get you down. You got a great bag that you should enjoy!

I'm in agreement here, I think in this life, it's important to pick & choose your battles & this one doesn't seem like it needs to become a battle.
Just let it go, give your great new purse a big squeeze & be thankful that you can afford a bag you love.:tup:

There is no place or excuse for the unprofessional not to mention judgemental way you were treated. I find Macys usually to have fairly good employees. As far as "having a bad day" sounds like more of a bad life. Not your problem. You were a customer who deserved nothing more than good (at least acceptable) service and received extremely sub-standard treatment. The store would really appreciate your informing them.

I appreciate all of the input. I wasn't hoping to get this woman fired. I just thought that if I mentioned it to the manager, they might ask her not to say these kinds of things to customers because I doubt I am the only one who has had an experience with this woman. If I were to make a purchase at Macy's again, I would intentionally go to another SA.
I live in the mountains, our nearest department store (Macy's) is about 60 miles away, so I do most of my research online before I purchase a new bag. That is where this forum has been so helpful. So, going in that day I new exactly what I wanted.
Maybe online shopping is the better way to go.