my dog bit me

First of all, I would NEVER advise anyone to put down a pet because of biting, that's incredibly inhumane. The only reason why I would ever advise anyone to put down a pet is because the pet is in intolerable pain that can't be cured and the pet is just suffering everyday. But besides that, never.
I have read about cat(might be the same for dogs, too) that they are very sensitive with their stomachs, meaning if someone touches their belly unexpectadly or quickly, chances are you will be bitten.
My cat, when she was only about 3 years old, she was sleeping, and I put my head by her stomach, and next thing you know she gets freaked out and I ended up with a black eye. Like the situation with your son, I blamed that on me. The cause of me getting bit wasn't my cat, it was me.
Another thing is that my cat does not like strangers, only her family. Anyone else, including the vet(it's a field day everytime we go to the vet), she will bite ANYONE who touches her or comes close to her. I don't think much of it since she doesn't do it to me. But I figure she just likes and is comfortable with her own family.
Your little doggy is cute, and I am sure she loves you. :smile:

My cat, when she was only about 3 years old, she was sleeping, and I put my head by her stomach, and next thing you know she gets freaked out and I ended up with a black eye. Like the situation with your son, I blamed that on me. The cause of me getting bit wasn't my cat, it was me.
Another thing is that my cat does not like strangers, only her family. Anyone else, including the vet(it's a field day everytime we go to the vet), she will bite ANYONE who touches her or comes close to her. I don't think much of it since she doesn't do it to me. But I figure she just likes and is comfortable with her own family.
Your little doggy is cute, and I am sure she loves you. :smile:
a black eye!!! i'm sorry, but that's pretty funny... i can just imagine you having to explain to friends and co-workers how you got your black eye. sounds like one of my kitties. they had to knock him out just so they could microchip him. he also got kicked out of the petsmart grooming center, he was there to get his nails trimed... people think he's evil, but he's super sweet to the hubby and i (he's the best cuddler in the house)

I am with those who suspect she might have been in a little pain and got scared. That's the only time my guys have snapped. (Moose has a "black mark" on his file at the vet's because he snapped at the vet when getting innoculated and caused the vet to give himself the shot. He was NOT happy.)

hehehe, I guess the vet didn't think that was funny but I sort of think it is. My Maltese bit a tongue depressor in half that the vet stuck in her mouth. She's normally a pretty sweet dog but she didn't like him doing that! She also squirted her anal glands on him once.

My lhasa will snap at me occasionally when I pick her up if she doesn't want to be.

What I do, is I immediately say NO, and roll her to her back gently, but hold her firmly with my one hand. Once she is calm, I allow her back up, then will pick her up again. I repeat this until she is not snipping.

I know the "alpha roll" is highly disputed, but I don't use it to show I'm alpha. I truly do it for the calming effect. It's kind of my dogs signal to calm down. It has always worked for me.

My lhasa will snap at me occasionally when I pick her up if she doesn't want to be.

What I do, is I immediately say NO, and roll her to her back gently, but hold her firmly with my one hand. Once she is calm, I allow her back up, then will pick her up again. I repeat this until she is not snipping.

I know the "alpha roll" is highly disputed, but I don't use it to show I'm alpha. I truly do it for the calming effect. It's kind of my dogs signal to calm down. It has always worked for me.

Totally agree. It is a behavioral issue and the dog needs to know it's place. YOU have to be pack leader. In nature, a submissive dog would NEVER bite the pack leader - whatever the situation. Your dog has to be at the bottom of the pecking order and you and your family have to be dominant over him!

Agree with this. A dog should never bite you, whatever the circumstance - don't leave it until it gets serious! The fact that this isn't the first time it's happened is not good... it's really hard because we all love our dogs and sometimes it's difficult to be firm with them, but trust me, dogs prefer to know their place. :yes:

I certainly dont think you need to put your dog down, that's pretty drastic. I'm sure there's an answer, in training, reconditioning, or someother way. It may not be easy and it may not happen over night. But whatever it may take, it should definitely be worth it...especially if you think the only other option is euthanasia!!! Have you talked to a trainer or your vet?

Agree with this. A dog should never bite you, whatever the circumstance - don't leave it until it gets serious! The fact that this isn't the first time it's happened is not good... it's really hard because we all love our dogs and sometimes it's difficult to be firm with them, but trust me, dogs prefer to know their place. :yes:

Excellent Point~!!!!

I also find the black eye pretty funny! And Zophie's maltese that squirted her anal glands to the vet, LMAO! I agree, cats can be vicious sometimes, those sharp nails can really hurt you. I have 10 myself, so I know what it's like. There have been numerous occasions where I bleed and scratched all over my body.

My 7 yr old maltese/shih tzu mix never bites. He only did playful bites every once in a while, when we're pretending to play rough with him and the ball. He knew it's strictly playing.

I am glad that you're not considering putting your cocker to sleep. She's an old lady, she has given you years of love and joy and she deserves to live. Whatever problem she has with her biting, I dont think it warrants any extreme decision, such as euthanasia.