My cat's new INSANE behavior! Any suggestions?

1. Alrighty, lol, I don't even know where to begin on this! Suffice it to say, I have a spoiled little cat who is used to getting what she wants WHEN she wants it. I work from home most days so I'm here almost all the time, and she spends a good portion of the day on my lap. She's not by any means a neglected kitty. But this is her newest trick...

The other day my cat wanted to jump on my lap while I was working on the computer, but I needed to type and having a 12 pound cat begging for attention on my lap makes that a little hard (reading I can do with her on my lap, but typing, no!). So my cat meowed a few times to express her displeasure, then she went to the corner of the room and started making her throwing up noise. Any cat owner knows that noise, the disgusting gagging sound. Well, I turned around and said: "Oh no, is kitty sick? Is kitty ok?" She stopped immediately, ran over, and hopped on my lap. Yes, that's right folks, my cat has learned to fake vomit for attention. And now she's doing it frequently! If she meows once to get my attention while I'm at the computer and I don't respond, suddenly I hear gagging!! It can't be healthy, and it's more than a little embarrassing to think that my cat feels the need to vomit for attention, but like I said, she gets pets and cuddles all day long! Lol, is there something I should do?? I have no idea how to break her of this and spare my carpet (I live in a rental).

FYI, this isn't the first time she's tried to use vomit to manipulate the situation to her advantage. She used to vomit on my boyfriend's stuff to express her displeasure with boyfriend. AND when he started spending the night she started throwing up on the nightstand next to his face at night. She is a ROTTEN cat, she is lucky I dearly love her! :upsidedown:
  2. Interesting.

All the advice I can think of is to simply ignore the behaviour as, if she is not getting the reward she is after, she may stop. Kinda like with kids. Also like with a cat that will scratch and meow outside a door to get into a bedroom. If you keep letting them in, they learn that the scratching and meowing will get them what they want.
  3. Another technique which would be easier to do than ignoring would be to react in a manner kitty doesn't like. Kitty retches and gets put into the bathroom for some privacy - for example. Don't choose anything mean and don't be mad, just if kitty does this then that happens. And you do have to interrupt, have the consequence and back to normal quickly or kitty will start up something else! Since kitty luuves you so very much, what about putting another chair next to you so she can get some loves between paragraphs?

Good luck!
  4. Ok, your kitty is sort of amusing! But there has to be some way to train her not to do that. I definitely think she can't be rewarded and needs some side effect to show her that it isn't acceptable. Maybe if you hear her making that noise squirt her with water? That is one way my cats realize things aren't ok, like, one used to have a major issue hissing and attacking your legs if you walked away from him, I'd go for some water and squirt it in his direction. For the most part, he has stopped that behavior.
  5. That's really funny! Unfortunately, I don't think I would have the heart to discourage this cute yet disgusting behavior. Maybe squirt her everytime she pretends to vomit? But then again, if she really is vomiting, that's quite mean... No suggestions, but funny story!
  6. lol! that's just so darn cuuute! but yes, will become a huge nuisance if it's not somehow corrected. I have no advice but wish you the best of luck!!
  7. that's a good technique...eventually she'll stop, my male cat had the tendancy to jump up really high and dig his claw into door frames, I guess he liked sliding down the door frame:confused1:. I locked him the bathroom everytime he did it, and it stopped.
  8. unfortunately i dont have any suggestions. but that by far was the funniest kitty story i've ever heard. sounds like your cat has "only child syndrome" lol
  9. i dont have any solutions, i just thought that was too funny!
  10. I don't have any solutions for you either, but I just found this really funny!
  11. I'd say squirt her with the water bottle when she does it. That's too funny!
  12. I couldn't help but laugh somewhat because of how spoiled your kitty is....our kitty is just about as bad. I hope she doesn't learn the gagging trick though:p
    Maybe you could squirt her with a water bottle like razorbackbelle0 suggested. That seems to work with our kitty when she is being a bad girl!!
  13. LOL, that's too funny, very smart cat!

Yep, works for me and my sweetie :yes:
  14. No advice, but I can relate. Phaser, our "insane" cat likes to sleep in the recliner. If someone is in it, she'll go into the bathroom and knock over the trash can. Whoever is in the recliner gets up to pick up the trash, she races back to the livingroom and jumps into the chair, which is all nice and warm.

Whoever said animals are dumb doesn't know our pets, eh?
  15. I found that very funny. I was laughing while reading. I also have a cat whom i love to death, ruxpin shes my life! And she is pretty crazy. The only thing i can say is there is absolutely NOTHING you can do to change or stop her. They have their own crazy, wonderful personalities and there is nothing we can do about it. As annoying as it can be sometimes, or naughty, we deal.