My cat was hospitalized

Melly

O.G.
Dec 3, 2006
I am so upset! :sad: My cat stopped eating and lost a bit of weight so I took him to the vet. It turns out he has liver failure (hepatic lipidosis) caused by mediated hemolytic anemia. :crybaby:The vet told me it's likely caused by stress but I'm not sure what is stressing my cat out.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Melly, I'm so sorry! What is the prognosis? With my cat it developed after an extended time boarding while I was up in the air pre-moving and couldn't have her where I was staying, what a nightmare. The boarding exacerbated it I later read, it is not uncommon in cats, and by the time I realized it was too late.

I send you my very best wishes and a (((((HUG)))))

I have another question...

How do you feel about transferring a recovering sick cat from one vet to another? According to them he is eating and drinking on his own (yay!!!) but he needs to be kept another night.

The reason I ask is that the particular vet he is at now has been nothing but rude. He was admitted last night but when I called the vet this morning to inquire about the specific name for his disorder (to research it) she was evasive. She asked if there was something wrong with my memory because she had already told me it when my cat was admitted the night before. :shocked: You'd think I was asking for super secret classified information or something! She did eventually give it to me but now I'm questioning if that is the right place for my cat.

I'm sorry to hear that..hopefully your car gets better. The same thing happened to my old cat...the signs he showed were he'd drink lots of water and pee outside of his litterbox. Sadly, he was really advanced into his liver failure and when we took him in he died the next day at the vet. :sad: Good thing you caught on quickly.

Melly, I'm so sorry! What is the prognosis? With my cat it developed after an extended time boarding while I was up in the air pre-moving and couldn't have her where I was staying, what a nightmare. The boarding exacerbated it I later read, it is not uncommon in cats, and by the time I realized it was too late.

I send you my very best wishes and a (((((HUG)))))

Thank you very much, I needed a hug! I am so sorry about your cat though. That's horrible! :cry: Luckily my BFF pet/house sits every time I leave so my animals have never had to spend time at a boarding facility. As for my cat's prognosis, the vet has been very noncommittal. All she told me was this is not something that can be cured. IF my cat recovers I will have to closely monitor him for the rest of his life.

I'm sorry to hear that..hopefully your car gets better. The same thing happened to my old cat...the signs he showed were he'd drink lots of water and pee outside of his litterbox. Sadly, he was really advanced into his liver failure and when we took him in he died the next day at the vet. :sad: Good thing you caught on quickly.

Thank you! I am sorry to hear about your cat though. My cat is relatively young (3 years old) so I hope that works in his favor. According to the vet he has started eating and drinking on his own which I think is a good sign.

I don't think I would move your kitty if he is only going to be there for one more day. I definitely wouldn't take him back to that vet though. I can't believe she was rude enough to ask if there was something wrong with your memory!!!???? Yes there was, you were in shock. She obviously has no compassion. I might even have told her off after my kitty was safely back home and I had found another vet. Does she forget you pay her for her services???? :cursing:

Oh, no...that's terrible news about your cat. I'm so sorry to hear about his liver failure and hope that he will be perking up soon. That is a surprise and quite upsetting to me that stress can cause liver failure in a cat. The reason is that I'm taking Amy (in my avatar) on a plane from Florida up to Boston in a couple of days. She has never been on a plane and seldom leaves the house. I have been worried about this trip but leaving her is not an option as that I will be gone too long. Now to hear that stress can cause liver failure is very scary. Gosh, I sure hope that your little guy and my little girl will be ok. I'm sending Connor healing thoughts and wishing you both the best.