My cat loves strawberries! Weird

1. DH gave me the first of my Valentine's day gifts. Some luscious chocolate covered strawberries. My cat was sitting there longingly watching me eat them so I held one out for to him. The cat went ape over it. He sat and licked the strawberries for 20 minutes. How weird is that?

So I googled it and turns out some cats react to strawberries just like catnip. Haha my cat hates catnip btw.

Has anyone ever heard of this before?

2. Wow, that's so weird! I have a container of fresh strawberries in my fridge..I'll try it out tonight!

3. I am going to have to see if Snoop likes them. He looooves catnip so maybe this will be another little treat for him.

4. I read it's the greens on the strawberry the cat is after.

Be careful with the chocolate part, though. Chocolate's bad for cats.

5. Aaaah! He has good taste!

6. my yorkie lovessss cucumber:tup:

7. I didn't know that. I'm going to have to test it on my cat, especially since he loves catnip so much!

8. Chocolate is poisonous to cats, so be careful of that!!

As far as strawberries-- you should know that cats were born without "sweet taste" receptors. They can't taste anything sweet. However, the citric acid in strawberries is both sweet and sour, and cats CAN taste it, and your cat probably loves it because he/she has never tasted anything like it.

9. she love fibers...:p

10. How funny! I had a cat that used to love cantaloupe! If I cut one up she'd pace the floor and cry and cry until I gave her a couple of chunks.

11. No worries. I ate all the chocolate part!!! LOL :p
    But thanks for the heads up. I didn't know that.

12. One of my dog's favorite foods is avocado!:smile:

13. Avocados: The fruit, pit and plant are all toxic. They can cause difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart `http://www.starbreezes.com/11/foodsafe.html

I remember something about this regarding Avocados and most animal, there weren't many links about it for dogs, but maybe you should just ask your vet first.

14. Wow! I never knew that!

15. LOL my dog loves apples, pears, strawberries, melon, pawpaw, blueberries, bananas, peaches, nectarines, etc

All given in moderation of course (and definitely no grapes)