My cat is ok!

1. Last Saturday I took my 18 yr old cat, Rockie, to the vet for her annual visit and they called last Tuesday with the results of her bloodwork. My vet said the bloodwork indicated that she was in the beginning stages of renal failure. I was pretty devastated and didn't know what I was going to do! I posted here about feline renal failure to hear about other experiences, and people were very helpful! Thank you!

Anway, my vet said to do a urine sample test to verify the bloodwork results, I guess there can be multiple causes for certain things to be elevated. Getting the urine sample was not easy! However, the results were great! Her kidneys seem to be working fine, and while it doesn't mean she won't have kidney failure in the future, as she's quite an old girl, and it is fairly common for cats as her age... she's fine for now:smile: And my vet gave me some tips to keep her as healthy as possible. Also, I think if she is diagnosed with it later, I've learned so much that I'm better prepared to handle the diagnosis.

I know I'm lucky to have her companionship for as long as I have, but I was just so happy to hear the news today from my vet.

Just wanted to share my good news!

2. Good good! Chronic renal failure is something you just have to learn to manage. If you manage well, cats can have good long years ahead. I currently have one 16 year old kitty and this is her 2nd year since diagnosis. Started managing earlier than my other cat whom I lost in 2005 due to renal failure. It depends on each kitty. You know her the best, so be educated ahead so you can make decisions when you have to. I don't think it hurts to consider diet changes and supplements, etc.
    Good luck!

3. That's great to hear!! I am very happy your kitty is okay!

4. Glad your cat is okay :smile:

5. Delighted to hear the great news!

6. Glad your cat is ok!:smile:

7. Yay!!!

Sending good vibes to you and your kitty!

8. Thanks for sharing your good news.

9. That's fantastic!!! I'm glad your baby is okay.

10. :dothewave: :party:
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!

I'm so glad to hear that! Would you mind sharing the tips from your vet with the rest of us, who have kitties who are increasing in age?

11. Thats great news! I hope to have my babies for as long as you have your cat! Congrats and I'm sure you have many years ahead of you!