My Cat Has Acne

1. I had no idea cats could get acne, but my calico has it! She developed these awful scabs and bumps under her chin. I took her to the vet and was told that she may have developed an allergy (possibly to her plastic food bowl) that caused her to have acne.

She wouldn't stay still enough for the vet to clean her chin properly so she had to stay overnight so she could be sedated to receive the proper treatment.

She's going to get a steroid injection too and then I'm supposed to clean her chin daily with Clearasil pads.
  2. Okay, I swear that a cat I used to have had blackheads under her chin!!
    Sounds crazy but I used to take them out for her lol. :push::yucky::throwup:
  3. Mine does, too. Most common cause we know are the type of dishware, type of food (e.g. fish), stress, etc. Ask the vet about mupirocin 2% ointment, too. That helped mine clear up a bit. But just like us, it comes and goes...
  4. My calico had blackheads under her white chin which were, apparently, due to her plastic food dish as well. I cleansed it regularly and it went away.
  5. My dog has nasty black heads :yucky:. The vet said its normal and that I should "extract" them for her. I do...but its gross:throwup:.
  6. Wow, that is so weird..I have never even heard of cats having acne.
  7. One of my cats gets acne on her chin at times. I usually just apply a wet washcloth, which she doesn't exactly love. I cracked up when the vet referred to it as cacne.:roflmfao:
  8. ^^^^ :lol: :roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao:
  9. I picked my cat up from the vet this morning. They cleaned her chin thoroughly and sent her home with 14 days worth of antibiotics. She's a mess, though. Her sores are all full of puss and she's scabby and bleeding a little. This is definitely a full-blown case of terrible acne. She's such a sweet, pretty kitty, too. I feel sorry for her.
  10. ^ Yikes! I hope she gets better! I don't think I've ever heard of a cat having whiteheads (the ones filled with pus.. i know.. gross lol) and bleeding from acne. But once again, I hope it all heals and goes away soon!
  11. I hope your kitty feels better soon!

My kitten had mild acne on his chin for a while. It turns out it was an allergy to his plastic food and water bowls. The vet suggested switching to ceramic or stainless steel bowls. Sure enough, 2 weeks after switching to ceramic bowls his chin cleared up with no medication or treatment.
  12. Thank you! Just as you did, the vet suggested switching to ceramic bowls. I'm hoping to see some improvement soon. The weird thing is that after I picked her up today I noticed she has a huge blackhead that I guess the vet didn't see. I don't think she's going to let me extract it, though and it is completely driving me crazy.
  13. I had a calico cat that had acne too! I wonder if it is a calico cat thing? We were advised by our vet to use Clearasil pads too. She hated when we cleaned her face. I felt so bad doing it but I knew it was going to eventually help her out. Her acne cleared up in a few weeks and never came back again. It was just this weird acne spurt she had.

I miss my kitty. She passed away a few years ago. I had her for 20 years! She was a great cat though and I have a weakness for calicos.

Now I have pugs and they get acne all the time.
  14. OMG my two hairless cats have blackheads on their chins...disGUStin! I pop em. Its kind of an obsession of mine. I changed the food bowls to stainless and it did get better, less to pop. You can imagine how it looks on a hairless cat....much more obvious.
  15. ^eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!