MY Boss called me a Ni%%a!!

I'm sorry this happened to you. It's absolutely intolerable.

Here's the course of action I would take:
1) Inform HR. They may ask you to file a formal complaint.
2) Inform your superior that you have already documented this with HR.

Your superior will probably ask you to sit through a mediation with the person who caused the offense. There, you'll be able to tell your boss that his use of the term is offensively and that it makes for a work environment that is negative. In this way, everything is documented with the department, with your boss and with HR. You get a way to confront your boss in a fair and safe manner, and the department cannot cover for him.

Good luck, and keep us updated!

I should add that most companies will not fire someone based on 1 incidence, or 2 or 3 incidences... unless everything is documented, and the accused has had proper warning and a way to confront the accusers and defend or explain himself. Your boss will most likely receive a warning. If they establish a trend (with others repeatedly reporting the same over time, even after warnings), the company would be forced to take action.

Short of these DOCUMENTED steps, your boss will face no repercusions.

Oh, man... in this day and age? UNREAL!!

If you want money, sure get a lawyer. But in my honest opinion your best bet is get this little moron fired. Heck, do both!!

Either way, I wouldn't let it go. Sounds like he's a kid who needs his mouth reined in properly. Get em!

I agree with Speedy... I mean was he trying be funny... some men should just know their boundaries... its 2008, like seriously get a clue.. talk to HR or his bosses and let him know its not appreciated..

I would complain with your HR, and ask them if you should file a formal complaint. It's not your responsibility to teach him how to act in the work place, he's an adult! I would also keep a log of what he's said to you, dates times, etc

good luck, I can't believe people are acting like this in a workplace, makes me sick

^^^
Maybe I missed something in the thread, but if she has not asked him to stop (and although this may make her "uncomfortable," trust me, it is FAR less uncomfortable than sitting in a courtroom or paying attorney fees) or not yet spoken to his superiors -- how does he know to shape up?

As far as I can tell, the corporation hasn't condoned anything. Again, perhaps I missed a vital post in this thread. But it seems to me that an individual should have the opportunity to right his actions before being slapped with a lawsuit, or slapped from above by his superiors. I find it a little immature to be unable to face someone who is doing something so unethical that you want to sue them. Let's all be grown-ups and have a mature conversation.

There's a difference between (a) wanting someone to stop acting in a racist manner (b) wanting to take revenge or lash out on someone who one thinks is a racist.

I'm really not into wasting time, especially when it comes to things related to my profession. I think it is a big, big waste of time to blow things out of proportion. What he did was beyond wrong -- I'm a minority myself, I think it's terrible to use bigoted words.

The only reason I said anything about suing was because she indicated she was worried about retaliation from the company- in which case, yes, she would have grounds to sue. I very rarely think that suing is appropriate- but being retaliated against because she reported someone like this to HR would be inexcusable.

I don't think she needs to tell him to stop before the company does something about it. If some random person at work walks up to you, grabs your breast, and walks off- you shouldn't have to tell him to stop in order to report it- it's clearly inappropriate. To me, this is the same thing. Someone in a position of authority should and in all probability DOES know that calling someone an offensive, racially insensitive name, even in jest, is absolutely unacceptable. In many companies, you have to sign a "code of conduct," especially if you're management, that says you understand and agree not to behave like this.

Law suits are really no joke. They're a big hassle on all sides, it's a lot of money, and as unfortunate as it is, being a whistle-blower is really risky for your future: it can either benefit or harm your professional career, depending on how far up a corporate ladder you want to climb.

At 50 years ao age, I have seen nothing but professional harm come to the plaintiffs. the money they won was next to nothing after attorney fees. They never recovered an as good or better position. The money was gone in a short period of time as they had no income coming in. Of course attorney's encourgage them to file, they were going to be paid & it wasn't their careers on the line.

I'm sorry this happend to you. There's a jerk born every minute. You need to so something NOW about it. go file with HR immediately.

At 50 years ao age, I have seen nothing but professional harm come to the plaintiffs. the money they won was next to nothing after attorney fees. They never recovered an as good or better position. The money was gone in a short period of time as they had no income coming in. Of course attorney's encourgage them to file, they were going to be paid & it wasn't their careers on the line.

I'm sorry this happend to you. There's a jerk born every minute. You need to so something NOW about it. go file with HR immediately.

Vegas Long Legs, seems like I always agree with what you have to say... I tend to lean on the side of "harm your career," but put "benefit" because I can imagine (key word: imagine) this happening, too...

Before having me, my mother was higher-up in a major corporation and ended up suing her company over some ethical issues. It was quietly settled out of court, but it's a good thing she decided to become a SAHM because who knows if she'd find work in a major company again. And no, it was not a lucrative settlement, and after the attorney fees, it was practically nothing. It was something she felt like she had to do, however, and it's a good thing our livelihood didn't depend on her income.

Did you say anything to him when he said it? I would have let him know right away that not only was it unprofessional, but extremely vulgar and offensive. I can imagine you were in shocked though.

Document everything he said, and contact HR ASAP.

If you make a complaint to management and your boss later fires you, you would have grounds to sue because it would be a retaliatory firing. He has stepped way, way over the line. No matter how great an employee he is, no company can afford to condone the use of the n-word. Report it to management ASAP and keep a record of what you said and/or wrote. Written is best so there is a paper trail.

I agree that lawsuits are not the way to solve everything - I am in a high-risk medical specialty myself and could get sued at the drop of a hat. But this woman's corporation needs to take action against an employee using racially derogatory words against a subordinate. If she reports this
and the behavior continues, or he treats her badly because of her complaint, she should sue, to set an example that this whole situation is totally unacceptable. Society doesn't change if people just go along with this kind of thing. You have to get people's attention.

Go to HR. If it's a big company - they should have an HR division who would be willing to hear you out. I've had to deal with this - trust me it's not fun. A coworker humiliated me one day in front of customers and I walked into the HR office, cried, and he got called in and they told him his behavior toward me was/is completely unacceptable.

It might seem scary going to HR - but please do - that's the only way to make them realize that this snake is crossing the line with more than one person. Document things - take a day to try and recall everything and then go in with your proof.

Best of luck - you are so much better than him.

I am sorry this has happened to you. I agree with balihai88, you should report what happened. You should also start to document everything. Don't give this person any reason what so ever to report you, put you on notice or anything. Be punctual, professional, pleasant, perfect at all times.

Based on what I have seen in my years in corporate, there is not alot that actually makes it to court. We had a case like this in my company with a racist, sexist male manager, the first offense the people filing the complaint were removed from his supervision, the second offense he was put on leave with pay, I know HR was informed of a third offense but nothing happened. He finally left when a payout was offered to group of employees. It was an easy way out.

Law suits are expensive and for complaints like that, lawyers usually like to do a class action with a large group. If the person is found to be in violation of corporate policy you can say that it is uncomfortable to work under him and request to be removed from his supervision. People are always filing suits on TV but it is not like that in corporate America.

Intel is right, you have to pick your battles. There is no excuse for your boss using that word and something should be done about that. Please keep us posted and let us know if you need help with anything. Is this your first job out of college? What is your industry?

So sorry this happened to you. My advice to you: Don't become embittered by the ignorance of one person. It is mind boggling that there are still people who act that way. I, for one, am waiting with bated breath for these idiots to die off. Ugh I hope he gets what's coming to him.

Intl - these lawyers make people think they are one lawsuit away from being filthy rich. Almost never is this true. Glad it worked out that your mom became a SAHM.

These companies are run by waspy white men who stick together. (I am a waspy white woman.) They will do eveything possible if they are given the "head ups" the OP will complain. They are masters at knowing how to make it sound like the complaining party is a trouble maker.
You have every right to complain, his behavior is appalling. I think I would recommend not only going to HR but the EEOC. They can not fire you while the EEOC is investigating. It will take the EEOC a LONG time to do their investigation, I'm talking months. This will give you time to get a resume together & start looking for something else. Good luck,