my baby has a rash - allergy?

1. for the last few days my baby (11 months) has a red, non-itchy rash on his chest and back - at the top. it goes up to the neck but is really harsh and red on the back.

it doesnt seem to bother him but i worry - i saw this last summer once or twice but not quite this harsh. (then I thought it was me eating mushrooms?)

I have a few explanations but just wanted to see whether anyone has experience:

either strawberries and/or tomatoes, or the sudden heat and humidity? I thought first it was the constant sweating etc but my mum suggested that he ate a few strawberries with her, and he had a problem once before.

I really hope it isn't something serious like Neurodermatitis - although it doesnt look anything like it.

appreciate your input, thanks

2. If it's on the chest or back, it's probably prickly heat. It should look like little red bumps with overall pink/redness around the area possibly ...it happens because of contact with fabric and the babies can't sweat fast enough in the heat to cool down.

Leave him undressed, rub some diaper ointment on it and it should be fine.

If it's food allergies it would be more around his mouth first, I would think. My DD for some reason would always turn red around her mouth and cheeks after eating eggplant which she loved...but we stopped since she seemed allergic.

If it persists more than a couple days..call our Dr.

3. If it's not itchy, it's probably not due to a food allergy. You should take him to the doctor, even if it appears not to be bothering him.

4. Food allergies don't necessarily make kids have bumps around their mouths first. I have food allergies which make me start itching mid torso, and then sweeps down my legs and upto my face. But allergies usually manifest as larger bumps, about the size of half a fingernail. Small red spots, like little red goosebumps are most often prickly heat.

5. Could it possibly be Roseola? My daughter had that when she was 1 yr old. It's not serious at all, and very common.

6. doesn't sound like an allergy. . . sounds like heat rash or roseola.
    My son has a few different food allergies and most commonly his symtoms are rash around his mouth, cheeks, neck, then sometimes he gets hoarse and tired.
    Roseola is VERY common and completely safe, almost every child gets it at some point between 3 months to 4 yrs.
    Did you notice a fever at all prior to it?

7. I would think the heat and humidity. Nicole (4) has also been having these rashes, mainly around her neck, underarms and legs...Basically, where the sweat can get trapped and places that doesn't always get much air.

I'd take him to his doctor, just in case though!

8. ^ exactly how you described it! Thanks a lot - no it doesn't bother him, and it is just overall red. I thought it might be the humidity/heat. I will go to my doc but we have a bank holiday and it has been a couple of days due to constant heat and humidity. Temperatures dropped so I will see what happens until tomorrow.

Thanks again for your response

9. roseola is 3-day fever yes? no, no fever at all actually, teething but that isn't really related I guess?

the reason I excluded roseola is bec there was no fever and the rash lasted longer than just a day or so. the way everyone described it it is prickly heat - red goosebumps. It doesn't seem to bother him so I guess it is ok.

but seeing as I have no experience i got a bit worried - thanks for your responses and at least I can relax a bit.

10. on a separate note:

are food allergies hereditary? no one in my or hubby's family has any but you never know. I know it is off my topic but did you have all the suggestions that babies until they are one year old shouldn't have any cow milk products? recommendations seem doc- and state-related here so I just wonder whether it is safe to just assume based on genetics?

11. Hmmmm, I'm not sure if food allergies are hereditary, but some doctors do believe they are.

I found this through Google, granted it's not the US or UK Babycenter site, the article is still in English:

http://se.babycenter.com/baby/health/allergies/

12. some are genetic, some aren't. . . you never know.
    My DH nor I have any food allergies, but one of my twins does.

13. Some food allergies are hereditary. F.e., if you have peanut allergies, a childhood history of eczema, and asthma, your child is very likely to share this constellation of allergy symptoms (according to my son's pediatrician). But some develop allergies without a family history.