Muse Bag Article in LA Times

1. can you copy and paste the article? the link asks for registration and log in. thanks!!!

2. The cachet's out of the bag
    With 'It' purses and their lookalikes widely available, savvy fashionistas dump the trend.

By Monica Corcoran, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    January 20, 2008

THE "it" bag, a status purse that costs more than a round-trip ticket to Paris and a favorite among stylish affluent women, is officially dead. "It" always refused to reveal its age but first hit the scene in the early '90s and was most prominently seen swinging gleefully from toned arms in the last five years.

The "it" bag was often known for its vibrant hides, large-toothed zippers and flamboyant hardware. Designers like Louis Vuitton, Chloé and Fendi all vied for the prestigious title with seasonal offerings of hobo bags and zaftig satchels -- all gifted to celebrities, of course.

The species did not die of natural causes. Fashion authorities suspect that a recent "it" bag -- the Yves Saint Laurent Muse -- is mostly responsible for wiping out the trend of women coveting one brand of designer bag ad nauseam.

The Muse, a jaunty and haughty take on a bowling bag, was the Palme d'Or among accessory addicts. Like a slain stag slung across the roof of a pickup truck, the Muse signified that a woman had bagged the right bag. Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton and other starlets reserved the cozy crooks of their arms for the popular purse.

These days, life pales for the Muse. The newest gray-felt version of the YSL handbag was last seen sheepishly lurking on discount retailer Bluefly.com. It was priced at 20% off. (Muse's distant cousins -- the Burberry Edna and a patent leather satchel by Fendi -- are currently selling at Costco.)

Much like the popular pretty girl who always dies first in a horror film, the "it" bag was a victim of its own ambition.

"A bag is only an 'it' bag when it's not accessible to everyone," says Christos Garkinos, the co-owner of local designer consignment store Decades Two, who admits that he is currently harboring a few secondhand Muses in his shop. "When Banana Republic and Forever 21 came out with a version of the Muse, it was suddenly everywhere."

Not to mention the coy Muse clones sold by Guess, H&M and almost every counterfeit purse hustler from Canal Street to Santee Alley. Muse-carrying studio execs and talent agents were horrified to see their assistants rifling through their very own Muses. Beverly Hills socialites mistakenly grabbed the wrong white Muse after a few mimosas.

"I ordered one when I was in New York, but then came home and saw everyone carrying it," says Jessica Wu, a chic Los Angeles dermatologist with an A-list clientele. "I sent it right back without even opening the box."

The Muse's noxious ubiquity has spurred the most fashionable women to stray from the retail herd mentality. A purse touted as the next "it" bag holds as much cachet as a VIP Blockbuster membership.

"There's a backlash because women feel betrayed by the fact that a company calls a bag 'limited edition' and then makes 100,000 of them," says Milton Pedraza, chief executive of the Luxury Institute, a retail research firm in New York. "That's deadly."

The "it" bag -- in all its incarnations -- will be fondly remembered. The Muse is survived by its sister, the YSL Downtown bag, and offspring including the Muse charm bracelet, Muse wrap sunglasses and Muse sandals.

3. I understand people want exclusivity.

Maybe the answer is custom-made leather pieces.

4. :shocked:

It's Ok. I'm happy knowing MY Muse is the real deal, and will always love it !!! :love:

5. The difference between the real Muse and the cheap fakes is that I know I will never tire of it and will carry it to death. As for the fake one, people will just carry it for a while before they chuck it somewhere at the back of their wardrobe. The fake muse wont be around for too long before they decided to copy some more current IT bags.

6. "I ordered one when I was in New York, but then came home and saw everyone carrying it," says Jessica Wu, a chic Los Angeles dermatologist with an A-list clientele."

wow, is the Muse really common in the US? i'm in singapore and every other designer bag i see (if any at all) is LV, Gucci and Coach. i've only seen a couple of Muse-es out and even less of the Downtown. i must say i do get excited when i spot them though.

7. Gosh that article is harsh! I think it's a cheap shot to point out that the Muse is available on Bluefly. But to address that point, I've seen the mother of all HG bags listed on Bluefly as well (the Hermes Birkin), and I've seen it with my own two eyes! IMO that doesn't make it any less coveted/liked/exclusive.

I don't care what the media or anyone else says...I love my Muse! If people are only happy to be the only ones (except a celebrity) carrying their purse, then let them be. I, for one, can appreciate that other people appreciate the beauty of a bag besides me.

8. I'm going to have to agree that the muse has lost some of its luster for being overdone. But I find this to be true not so much because of the many inspired-by styles, but more because within the designer bag buying segment of the population it is saturated. I was eating at Bergdorfs the other day and the almost empty room had 4 women with muses in it. I felt like I had walked into a YSL ad.

I'll still use mine though when I need a bag that big that is a workhorse. My muse looks pretty used at this point and that's a characteristic of it that makes me like it more.

9. hmm, reduced to $1100 on Bluefly? shameful - and obviously so OVER at that price.

ha, well I'm not A-list, celebrity or whomever they think are the only people deserving of the Muse. Just someone who thinks it's beautiful and saved for one. Sorry I (and people like me) ruined it for them.

;) LOL ;)

10. "I ordered one when I was in New York, but then came home and saw everyone carrying it," says Jessica Wu, a chic Los Angeles dermatologist with an A-list clientele. "I sent it right back without even opening the box."

Oh Thank YOU Jessica ...... LOL!

11. Well, it comes down to whether you buy a bag because XXX celebrity carries it or you buy it for yourself. I have never followed any celebrities nor do I care to know who they are or what they wear. I set my own standards of what I wear. If I like it, it is made well and serves my purpose I buy it, whether it is ysl or a no name bag.

12. Ok I could care less what people say and what that article say about the Muse. I got an os patent leather muse for Christmas and I was the happiest girl. The fact that the La Times devoted a whole article re the Muse makes it not lose it's luster but makes it more highly coveted. As for me I love my muse!!! I think it's a classic!

13. I have always felt that the Muse is far too classic a style and far too lovely for the likes of Lindsey L. and other such asst. celebs. Let the true baghistas have the Muse and any of her kin, and make the celebs buy their OWN bags for once! Nothing cheapens a lovely piece like seeing Hollyweridos wearing them for free. :boxing:

14. I found it a bit ironic that the writer of this piece on IT bag is strongly focused on Muse, which is BTW has been around for years. By definition, how can a bag that stays popular after all these years (classic) be considered as representative on IT bag (trendiness, a la mode, right? CMIIW?)? Or is it now classic = trendy?

I do love Muse and plan to buy one (Large, khaki) later this week. It has nothing to do with me aspiring to be LaLohan, trust me :roflmfao: It's just the Muse itself is classy, classic and well made, so I know that I can use it for years. And the durability is the attribute that I don't think I will get from Muse wannabes.