MTV.com Presents: MTV Video Music Awards Highlights

1. The MTV VMAs have been going on since 1984. Um, I've only started watching them in 1993, so that's where I'm starting the highlights.

9.2.1993, Los Angeles: Delinquent darlings Beavis and Butthead torture a Moonman before presenting it... to their butts.

1993_presenters_beavisandbu.jpg
  2. 09.08.94, New York City: The kiss that rocked the entertainment world: Michael Jackson and then wife Lisa-Marie Presley share a smooch as they open up the 1994 MTV Video Music Awards.

1994_kiss2.jpg
  3. 9.7.1995, New York City: Best Female Video-winner ("Take A Bow"), Madonna presents an award in full fembot regalia at the 1995 VMAs.

9.7.1995, New York City: CrazySexyCool soul sistahs TLC light up the stage with mid-nineties knockout, "Creep."

1995_presenter_madonna_02.jpg 1995_tlc_03.jpg
  4. 9.7.1995, New York City: Posh Spice, aka Victoria Beckham, croons along with Scary, Sporty and the girls to the song, "Say You'll Be There."

9.7.1995, Diddy sings, "I'll Be Missing You," in a moving tribute to his fallen friend, Biggie Smalls.

9.7.1995, New York City: Sting joins P. Diddy and Faith Evans in commemorating the loss of the Notorious B.I.G. with an update on a Police classic called "I'll Be Missing You."

9.7.1995, New York City: Shock rocker Marilyn Manson closes out the evening with "Beautiful People," a stroboscopic collage of leather, make-up and bare butt cheeks.

1997_spicegirls_01.jpg 1997_puffdaddy_05.jpg 1997_sting_01.jpg 1997_marilynmanson_04.jpg
  5. 09.10.98, Los Angeles: Divas Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston seem to have shared a stylist as they appear in matching gowns.

09.10.98, Los Angeles: Ever-shocking Marilyn Manson performs "Dope Show" in his neon transgendered costume.

1998_mariah_whitney_dress3.jpg 1998_manson_perf1.jpg
  6. 9.9.1999, New York City: Original diva Diana Ross skips the formalities and goes straight to second base with Lil' Kim. Mary J. Blige doesn't look particularly surprised.

1999_lilkim_dianaross_02.jpg
  7. 09.07.2000, New York City: Britney Spears sheds her youthful image along with most of her clothes as she performs "Oops, I Did It Again" in a studded, flesh-colored bra.

09.07.2000, New York City: Video of the Year-winner Eminem performs with an entourage of clones outside of Radio City Music Hall.

2000_britney_perf1.jpg 2000_eminem_slimshady1.jpg
  8. 9.6.2001, New York City: The increasingly naked Britney Spears gets sexy with a major python while performing her 2001 hit, "I'm a Slave 4 U."

9.6.2001, New York City: The crowd is hushed as a video tribute to Aaliyah plays on the big screen.

2001_britneyspears_snake_04.jpg 2001_aaliyahtribute_01.jpg
  9. 08.29.2002, New York City: A revamped Guns N' Roses deliver a surprise grand finale performance at the 2002 VMAs.

2002_gnr_perf5.jpg
  10. 8.28.2003, New York City: Who can forget 2003's infamous kiss between Britney Spears and Madonna? Christina Aguilera waits her turn, just outside the frame.

8.28.2003, New York City: Things always heat up when Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, and Madonna perform together.

8.28.2003, New York City: Rev Run and DMC of Run DMC remember their friend, Jam Master Jay (1965-2002).

2003_madonna_britney_kiss_0.jpg 2003_madonna_britney_christ.jpg 2003_revrun_dmc_01.jpg
  11. 8.29.2004, Miami: Best Male Video-winner Usher warms up the Magic City crowd with a soaking wet solo performance

8.29.2004, Miami: New soul crusader Alicia Keys honors the great Ray Charles' life and career.

2004_usher_04.jpg 2004_raycharles_04.jpg
  12. 08.28.2005, Miami: M.C. Hammer performs 'U Can't Touch This'

8.28.2005, Miami: Eva Longoria wears her bathing suit

21.jpg 25.jpg
  13. Here's In Style Magazine's take on The VMAs Most Memorable Moments:

Britney's Snake Dance

2001: Britney Spears wowed viewers at the 2000 VMAs with her seductive strip tease. So what's a girl to do when faced with topping her own performance the following year? If you’re Britney Spears, you dance in a tiger cage and use a 7-ft Albino python as a prop. The pop sensation’s unforgettable performance of her hit "I'm a Slave 4 U" was an instant highlight. "She hated me for that," said choreographer Wade Robson, who came up with the idea to drape the snake over Brit's shoulders. "She broke out in hives." Spears, who donated her snake charmer outfit to charity in 2003, told People, "I'm never gonna wear that [again]."

Birth of an Icon

1984: During the first-ever VMAs, Madonna stunned the live audience with a controversial performance of her 1984 hit "Like a Virgin." Dressed in a white-lace bustier, fingerless gloves and a “Boy Toy” belt, the singer popped out of a wedding cake before writhing around the stage at New York’s Radio City Music Hall. Though relatively tame by today's standards, the performance pushed the envelope and made the then 26-year-old a bonafide star. "People were gasping in the audience," said Madonna’s longtime publicist, Liz Rosenberg. "Madonna took it so much further than anyone knew she was capable of." The performance marked the start of a 20-year relationship between MTV and the material girl.

Fashion Faceoff

1998: Call it the battle of the divas. At the 1998 VMAs in Los Angeles, singing sensations Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston poked fun at their rumored rift by wearing look-a-like chocolate brown dresses by Vera Wang. In an attempt to outdo each other, the singers tore off pieces of their dresses to reveal minidresses then staged a faux catfight that left the audience in disbelief. "People thought Whitney and I had some kind of beef," explained Carey of the gag. The pair, who had recently worked together on a duet for The Prince of Egypt soundtrack, were all smiles when they revealed their hoax and presented Will Smith with the award for Best Male Video

Odd Couple

1997: "Anything goes" is the motto for MTV’s Video Music Awards and it was no exception at the 1997 VMAs, hosted by Chris Rock. Domestic diva Martha Stewart and rapper Busta Rhymes were one of the award show’s classic unlikely pairings as they walked the red carpet then presented the Best Dance Video award to the Spice Girls for their hit "Wannabe." "I could teach you how to sew," Stewart told the rapper backstage at Radio City Music Hall. Who would have thought that less than a decade later, Stewart and Rhymes would be able to compare rap sheets?

Head Over Heels

2003: In 2003, Beyonce made one of the most memorable on stage entrances in VMA history. Descending upside down from the rafters at New York’s Radio City Music Hall, the singer performed her single "Baby Boy" as she was gently lowered to the stage. Dressed in harem pants and looking like goddess, the singer was later joined ny beau Jay-Z as they performed their duet "Crazy in Love." The performance marked the solo debut of the former Destiny Child’s front woman. "I don’t know how I’m going to top it," said the singer of her over the top performance.

082907_spears_400x400.jpg 082907_madonna2_300x400.jpg 082907_carey_400x400.jpg 082907_stewart_300x400.jpg 082907_beyonce_300x400.jpg
  14. VMA PDA

1994: Before Nick and Jessica, the most infamous MTV newlyweds were the king of pop and his newly blushing bride. In 1994, the recently betrothed couple received a standing ovation as they hit the VMA stage hand-in-hand. After turning to the audience and proclaiming, "And just think, nobody thought this would last," Michael Jackson grabbed Lisa Marie Presley and viewers got to witness one of the most awkward kisses of all time. Presley, who divorced Jackson in 1996, would later claim that Jackson’s PR team insisted on the kiss.

Mr. and Sister

1993: In 1993, legendary comedian Milton Berle—who used to wear dresses as part of his shtick—and 7-foot tall drag queen RuPaul took to the VMA stage as co-presenters. The mismatched duo, who reportedly fought backstage, caused headlines when Berle famously groped the RuPaul for a laugh and singer icily retorted "So you used to wear gowns, nut now you’re wearing diapers." The comment became one of the most talked about moments of the night.

Three's A Crowd-Pleaser

2003: It was only fitting that MTV would celebrate its 20-year anniversary with a mind-blowing performance at the 2003 VMAs. And who better to help out than the reigning VMA queen herself—Madonna. With a little help from pop princesses Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera—who both paid homage to the icon’s 1984 VMA performance by wearing white bridal attire—the trio belted out an unforgettable rendition of "Like a Virgin." Not one to be outdone, Madonna—clad in a Marlena Dietrique inspired tuxedo—ended the performance by kissing both Spears and Aguilera in the most infamous lip lock of all time. "I didn't know it was going to be that long and everything," Spears later told CNN

082907_jackson_400x400.jpg 082907_rupaul_300x400.jpg 082907_madonna_400x300.jpg