Moving to Vancouver, BC - need advice!

1. hi everyone,
    i'm moving to vancouver next month...
    any advice on where to eat, shop, etc.? also, would i need a car to get around, or is the bus system adequate?

thanks! :smile:

2. I prefer having a car in Vancouver, but it all depends on what area you live in!

3. where are you moving from? This way I can give you the best advice...if I know what city you are in now, what type of environment you anticipate living in - I can provide more info.....

4. I just came back a few weeks ago and I loved it! I was recommended to go to Amarcord (italian restaurant) in Yaletown and the food was GREAT (think lobster pasta!) I had a car when I was there so I didn't get to try out public transportation. Is the move going to be permanent? Vancouver is such a lovely place =)

5. Vancouver is an absolutely beautiful city, with many neighborhoods that have their own personalities. I agree with the other posters that having a car really depends on where you'll be living. Parking in the downtown area is bad, but the public transportation system is pretty good. Shopping there is also pretty good, Holt Renfrew is one of my favorite stores. The only thing that you can't get in Van is Balenciaga. But that's ok, you can come to Seattle for that! We're your best friend, 2.5 hours to the south.

6. Lucky you.
    Bus system is OK in Vancouver. It has improved a lot, but the transit system is not like Toronto or Montreal. No subway or streetcar and bridges to deal with. Skytrain was gross when I lived there.
    Don't live far away from where you want to hang out. Pick an area that you love with everything that you need and live close by, even if it costs you an arm and a leg and your first born child. ( cause it will, its Vancouver!)
    You don't want to have to drive too far to go anywhere. I only had a car to get out of town.

7. i live in japan right now, but i went to school in the states.. and now i'm transferring to ubc! ;)

8. You will probably want to live in Kitsilano. Its close to the university campus and has all kinds of bars and shopping. Mostly independent stores and very nice. Its not far from there to go downtown to Robson St. where all the money stores are. Some people that live in Kits never leave the area- you can get everything there.

9. thank you everyone for your comments! i'd rather not have a car, just one more thing to worry about... but i thought it might be nice since it rains alot. maybe i'll try living without a car for a few months and see how it goes. :idea:

10. thanks! i heard that kits is a really nice area.

11. It will cost more than other areas but it will be worth it - and there is a beach there too:biggrin::biggrin:
    There are some older apartment buildings in Kits with lots of character. Lots of people have revenue suites in their basements too. Also some houses are completly converted into apartments!!
    Good Luck and keep us posted.

12. If not Kits, consider living in Downtown, Coal Harbour or West End.

For good food - True Confection (cake) + Guu (snack style Japanese rest.

Richmond nightmarket is something to check out on a lazy weekend night during the Summer..not much to buy but nice to walk around and eat the "street" food.

If you're going to UBC, it'll be good to find Point Grey, University Area or Southlands...close to campus

also, if you decide you need a car - your lucky, cars in Vancouver are relatively cheap!

13. I just wanted to say how lucky you are!

I love Vancouver...my granny and cousin live there...I agree, I think Kits is a nice area.

The food is great too!

14. Kits is a great area especially if single. Welcome to the best place on Earth. Feel free to pm me if you want more informtion re: Van. Good luck with your move!

Spectacular by Nature!!!!!!

15. Vancouver is a beautiful town. I've been a few times. I recall Kitsilano, Richmond and spent time on Robson street lol!!! I remember driving to this really cool gelato place that had something like 500 different flavors. I tried about 10 the one I liked the most was wasabi it was cold and spicey:yes: Congrats on the move!!