Mouth guard for nighttime grinding/clenching?

1. Has anyone here used one?

Both my dentist and my ENT doctor suspect that I clench or grind at night, because I have developed sensitive teeth/receding gums and also have TMJ symptoms. Both suggest getting one of those custom-fit mouth guards to wear at night. But wouldn't it be reeeeeally hard to sleep with a big huge plastic chunk in your mouth?? I shudder to think of the drool puddles I'll wake up in.

If anyone can share their experience with night mouthguards, please let me know. (i.e. how long did you use it, did it work, were you able to sleep with it, etc) Thanks so much! :p
  2. I have been a 'grinder' for years and have recently been fitted with a custom-made mouth guard. The first night I wore it I remember thinking 'how the hell am I going to sleep with this in my mouth' but after a few minutes I forgot it was there and fell asleep. I have to say, the next morning when I woke up, the tension/stiffness in my neck had gone and it was the best night's sleep I had had for years. Please give it a try, I really don't think you'll be sorry. (Um, just to let you know, it doesn't exactly make one look 'sexy'). Good luck.:smile:
  3. Dallas, thanks so much for your input! Yeah, I'm thinking it's not gonna do much for my sexy quotient but this ear pain is driving me nuts!
  4. As someone who has tried both the custom one (done by the dentist) and the over the counter ones, I would strongly suggest you get the custom one. The custom one is usually very thin and will feel more confortable then the store bought ones. I was able to sleep with both of them but it was much easier with the custom one. I haven't replaced my custom one because I've broken it and that's how I ended up getting a store bought one.
  5. I just got one. No drool but not very sexy either. It took a few nights to get used to it and now no problem. My jaw is relaxed when I wake up and no more pain.
  6. Oh. Good to know! I must have been clenching lately because right below my ears have been killing me!!!! I must be so tense lately. I'm surprised that my dentist didn't notice anything this last time I saw her. Maybe I'll mention it. Is it expensive to get a custom one?
  7. If your dentist is recommending you get one, you should. It takes a night or two to get used to but once you get used to it, it is very conformtable and lends to a good sound sleep. Insurance covers it but they run abot $500 - $650. I tried the store bought one after I broke my original one and I hated it, I went back to the dentist and got a replacement.
  8. I had the same experience as dallas. It really can make a difference for the better.
  9. I've often wondered about getting one of those. I know I grind my teeth and sometimes my jaw pops. I'm scheduled to see the dentist in September (unless an earlier appt opens up) so I'll ask him about it.

Is the cost $500 - $600 without insurance? I don't have insurance. If it really makes a difference I'd be willing to get one though. I have a very hard time getting a good night's sleep.
  10. Zophie -- that's a good question. My dentist quoted me $600 but I don't know if that meant with or without insurance. I'll find out in a few weeks when I go in for my appointment. My jaw clicks too -- my doctor says it's a very mild case of TMJ, but the ear pain (from pressing on parts of my outer ear, or from suddenly changing head positions) has gotten so bad that it affects my sleep. I can't wait to get the dang mouth guard and take care of this.
  11. well please keep us posted on if it helps. My left jaw clicks when I open my mouth too wide sometimes.
  12. Thanks for the input you all! I've been needing to do this for years, :s. I'm sitting here right now clenching. Do any of you wear it during the day? :shrugs:
  13. I got mine years ago before I got braces and I wore it for about a year or so. Once I got braces I stoped grinding bc of the pain from braces. I dont have to wear it anymore bc that broke the habbit.
  14. I'm about to get my third mouth guard. My first one went over my bottom teeth and I ended up grinding through it. My second one fit over my top teeth and I HATED it. I found that I had more trouble talking, my jaw was more sore, and I had more drool (so sexy). I have refused to wear it and ordered another one for my bottom teeth from my dentist at an out-of-pocket cost of $400.

The truly bad part is that while I haven't been wearing a mouth guard during the past few weeks, I ground my teeth so badly that I chipped a back molar. Now the share edges are cutting my tounge. Fortunately, I am scheduled to be back at the dentist on Monday for my new lower guard. I hope it fits well...