Mother leaves kids alone...goes to Nigeria to wed *update*

1. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5426587.html

When I saw this on a local news station...I could only wish to be the one to slap the cuffs on her.

***It may not have been Kenya...I was reading something else when I saw this****....the facts are still that she left them alone.

2. It was Nigeria, but same continent! I'd love to just slap her myself!

CPS: Harris County mother leaves brood to wed in Africa

By LINDSAY WISE
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
    A Harris County woman could face child endangerment charges after allegedly leaving eight children home alone while she traveled to Africa to marry a man she met on the Internet, authorities said Thursday.

Charges are pending against the woman, whose name was withheld Thursday. She reportedly flew to Nigeria on Monday, leaving the children with little food and no money.
    Veteran Harris County authorities said the children's case is one of the saddest they've seen.

"It's just terrible," said Lt. John Martin of the Harris County Sheriff's Office.
    A deputy making a welfare check at a home in the 11000 block of Barker Grove Lane in Cypress about 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday found six children between the ages of 1 and 9 alone inside, Martin said.

"At first the children would not answer the door, but the deputy managed to persuade them to let him in," he said. "What he found inside the house was just deplorable conditions. There was trash everywhere, roaches everywhere. He said every item of clothing in the house was dirty and there was very little food."

The children told the deputy their mother had left several days ago and they didn't know how to reach her, Martin said.
    "The children were given no way to contact the mother, even if there was some kind of emergency," he said.

Later on Wednesday night a 15-year-old girl arrived at the house and told authorities her mother had flown to Nigeria on New Year's Eve.
    The teen said her mother left her in charge of four siblings — a 1-year-old boy, a 7-year-old boy, an 8-year-old girl and a 9-year-old boy, said Estella Olguin, a spokeswoman for Child Protective Services. The teen was also caring for a neighbor's 3-year-old boy and 4-year-old girl, Olguin said.

Investigators spoke with the neighbor, who said he regularly left his two toddlers at the woman's house while he worked. The man said he didn't know the conditions inside the home were so bad, Olguin said.
    The neighbor, who authorities did not identify, told investigators he had driven the woman to the airport for a one- to two-month trip to Africa, where she planned to marry a man she'd met online.
    The neighbor said the woman had told him that her sister was due to arrive by bus from New Orleans to look after the children.The sister, however, had not arrived by the time deputies discovered the children alone three days later, Olguin said.
    Investigators are in the process of contacting the sister and other relatives to confirm the story and find out what happened, she said.

CPS is also investigating the neighbor, Olguin said.

Meanwhile, the children have been placed in foster homes, she said.
    The children's situation first came to authorities' attention after the 15-year-old crashed her mother's van into the garage on Monday, Olguin said. The teen called a volunteer child advocate, terrified.

"She wanted to run away because she was afraid how her mother was going to react," Olguin said.
    She said the teen was simply overwhelmed by the responsibility of caring for so many other children.
    "There was no food in the home and mom didn't leave them any money," Olguin said. "The 15-year-old said she had to steal food and diapers."

The burden of caring for the others fell on the teenager because her older sister, who is 16, spends most of her time out of the house with friends and her 14-year-old and 18-year-old brothers are serving time in juvenile detention and prison for robbery and aggravated assault, respectively, Olguin said.

The family apparently evacuated to LaPorte from New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina and then evacuated to Houston from LaPorte after Hurricane Rita, she said.
    Hungry and scared, the children are otherwise healthy, Olguin said, although the 1-year-old baby appeared to be malnourished.
    "They're little survivors," she said.

3. NO problem, I do that all the time! That's why I do a preview before I submit, gives me time to re-read the article.

Here's the second one you linked. I wanna slap the carp outta this woman!

HOUSTON -- Eight children were found left alone in a northwest Harris County home and were placed in the custody of Child Protective Services, KPRC Local 2 reported Thursday.

CPS officials said the children are 1, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 15 and 16 years old.

The mother of six of the children may be in Africa getting married, according to authorities. She could face charges of child endangerment.

The children were found Wednesday night in a home in the 11000 block of Barker Grove at Barker Cypress.

Investigators said the mother left her 15-year-old daughter to take care of her other five children, along with two other children left in her care.

Harris County officials said the children had no money and barely any food, and said the mother was not planning on coming home any time soon.

"According to the children, the mother had been there two, three days ago and she left to go to Africa where she was supposed to be getting married. And she's supposedly going to be gone for the next one to two months," Sgt. Dana Mackey with the Harris County Sheriff's Department.

A CPS spokeswoman said the situation was uncovered after the 15-year-old crashed the van into the home's garage. Officials said she wanted to run away, fearing that her mother would punish her.

Instead, investigators said she called her counselor who contacted the sheriff's office.

"Pictures reflect there was an infestation of roaches crawling on the ceiling, crawling on the wall, crawling on the floor, food on the floor, dirty clothes throughout the home," Mackey said.

Officials said the children appeared to be malnourished.

"The 1-year-old was lethargic -- just unresponsive and we were able to get that child needed medical attention," Mackey said.

Neighbors said they had no idea.

"It just doesn't make any sense for a child to be treated like that -- malnutrition," neighbor Ruthie Thomas said. "It's sad. It's a sad situation. I believe if she needed help, she could have called someone."

"I just hope that something good comes out of this for everyone -- for the entire community and them," neighbor Jimmetta Coleman said.

Investigators said a man left his 3- and 4-year-old children in the care of the 15-year-old while he went to work. They said he knew the mother was out of the country. It has not been determined if he will face any charges.

4. Disgusting! I hope they find proper love and care for the children. That mother needs to be LOCKED AWAY!

5. Oh. My. God.

That is absolutely horrible. I just cannot believe that....I hope she rots in jail...but what I really want to say is totally not appropriate for this forum....

6. I wonder if someone will tip her off and she'll stay in Africa? If she could do this, I wouldn't put dodging the law past her, either.

7. This really pisses me off. Why are these morons having kids, when clearly they lack the mother instinct. Um, yeah, let's go to Africa, no worries or care in the world....Just gonna leave my babies at home to fend for themselves.

8. OMG, a 14 and 18 year-old in juvenile detention, a 16 year old who parties all the time, and a responsible 15 year old who tried to care for all of her siblings PLUS the neighbors kids?! wow

what's the point of being unwed and having SO many children to neglect? boredom, welfare benefits? :rolleyes:

9. This is appalling! I hope this woman gets what she deserves! :mad:

10. I'm thinking the American Consulate will know where she is, since she's an American citizen. However, it does concern me that she'll slip into obscurity if she is tipped off. I also wonder if she actually met this man face-to-face before planning on marrying him. That's just unreal.

11. :wtf: This reinforces my point about people overbreeding... absolutely ridiculous. She should be drug out into the street and-- :cursing:

12. ugh..... this woman should not have had children!
    I hope the state will find good homes for this children.... they deseve better.

13. A disturbing example of a career welfare mama. Have the babies and collect the checks. To heck with the kids once they serve their financial purpose.

Seems she had to go to Africa to find another man to breed with her.:tdown:

14. Seriously, why do all the wacky stories have to come from Houston?

Btw, I have a lot of respect and admiration for the 15 year old. It breaks my heart to know that she had so much responsibility placed on her.