most effective exercise?

1. To those who work out regularly...what do you find to be the most effective way to reach your fitness goals? Stairclimber for 45 minutes, then pilates? Running 5 miles?
    Just wondering...I reached a plateau and have stepped up my cardio to 60 minutes. This usually jump starts my weight loss.

2. I have a fear of bulking up, so every workout I try to work out all the muscles of my body. I personally dislike machines like stairclimber or treadmills, because they're boring and seem to only work my legs. The cardio you get out of it isn't worth that, in my opinion.

Have you tried taebo? It's GREAT cardio, and it works all the muscle groups in your body while not tiring out any specific ones. I usually do 30-40 minutes of weight training, and then one hour of taebo. My college roommate used to do this routine ('cept she did 1-1.5 hours of weight training), and then add on an hour of yoga or pilates....and she had a rockin' envy-worth body.

3. is it like some kinda tae kwon doish thing...:confused1:mixed with boxing? i remember someone mentioned it to me before, i do Tae kwon do myself, and really enjoy it(exclude the beginning) and i wouldn't mind try this one:wlae:

4. For me adding a daily walk of 45 minutes to an hour really helps. I work out all the time and eat right, but that extra bit of exercise, especially after dinner makes me feel a little lighter.

5. Do you lift weights? If not, read this post - http://forum.purseblog.com/health-and-fitness/best-exercise-for-losing-weight-61944.html

Most of the time, people who are only doing cardio and who reach a plateau will see the most changes in their bodies after incorporating a solid weight lifting routine.

Just in my opinion, there really is no single exercise that is better than the other. It's all about having a challenging, balanced workout plan including both weights and cardio, and eating right.

6. make sure you're "shocking" yourself still.
    Just incresing time won't help much as you'll have to increase it again later.
    If you usually walk, then try jogging for 2 minutes every 5 miinutes or so, if you usually jog, try sprinting.
    I agree w/ Cristina, adding some weight training, even if a little will make big changes.:yes:

7. for me it has always been low impact aerobics and treadmill.

oooh yes, just read the swankster above, weights, weights, weights!

8. I don't know what your eating habits are, but I usually zig zag my calories to get out of a rut. My plan is lose about 3500 calories (1 lb) a week. To do this I have to exercise and eat between 1600-1700 calories daily. When I get sick of it or in a rut then I will drop one day down to 1200, 2000 the next, and 1600 the next, etc. By the end of the week I will still even out for the week. And if that doesn't work, sometimes it helps to just take a few days off from exercising, and just pig out to get the metabolisim started again. Hope that helps and isn't too confusing! :yes:

9. For me it's walking for 60 minutes on the machine + dancing for 20 or 30 minutes + Swimming for an hour..

I try to fit those in everyday at the moment ..and it's going great. but if you have less time of course go for the walking :smile:

10. Wow! How does one manage time for all of this?

I'm a first year college student, so I'm still trying to get used to the studying and everything. I just (yesterday, actually) started lifting some light weights, but every night after dinner I go on a walk, for about 20-30 minutes. It's just a light walk, definitely not a leisurely stroll, but not exactly high-impact, either. Should I start incorporating more high-impact activities in my day?

11. ^
    Good for you! There is a balance between the ideal and the practicality. An after dinner walk is great. If you have time for more high-impact activity during the day, that's a plus, but if not, c'est la vie. We do the best we can!