Morning Sickness Cures? Help!

1. Hello ladies,

I've recently found out that I'm expecting my first baby in May(or there abouts) It was a total shock & its still not really sunk in yet.

I'm suffering from horrendous morning sickeness, it lasts all day & I can't stomach most things. Everything makes me sick, anything rich & creamy, anything that has an artifical smell (air fresheners, anti perspirants, perfumes etc) and so much more. Not eve ncoffee or tea anymore. :sad:

I've tried getting up slowly, eating some plain toast before getting up, sucking on ginger, motion sickness bands, eating on the hour every hour (to keep blood sugar levels high). not drinking with meals, drinking more than 2 litres of water a day.

Can anyone suggest anything else? I'm getting to the end of my tether with this, I'm really not sure how much more I can take. I'm 7 weeks & know this normally goes on til around 10-12 weeks.

Please, any & all suggestion are so gratefully received you wouldn't believe.

thank you so much
  2. Awwww, I'm so sorry about the morning sickness! So far I've been feeling great, just a little bit grumpy :sad:

The only thing that I could really suggest if it's really bad is to go to the doctor and see if they could prescribe anything?
  3. Sounds like you're doing all the usual things. If it's totally unbearable, there are some prescription meds your OB can prescribe. I'd suggest talking to him/her about it, especially if you are vomiting, because you don't want to risk dehydration or depriving the baby of nutrients that both you and the baby need.

By the way, I don't want to sound like a pessimist, but sometimes morning sickness can last the entire pregnancy, so the sooner you chat with your OB, the better.
  4. thanks guys. yeah, Prada, I heard that :sad: Not hoping ot be one of those poor ladies!

I really didn't want to take any mes for it, what with all the health problems that raises( the formildhyde?sp? that deformed tha babies for example)

Lami I was just fine until about 1 & 1/2 weeks ago & since then its just been constant. Maybe you'll be really lucky (like every woman i speakto ) who doesn't get it?

I asked my doctor about it & she said as long as I wasn't dyhrated, in the first 12 weeks it didn't matter if I wasn't able to eat much, providing I was still able to take my folic acid & drink liquid.

I'm not being physically sick as much now, its more a constant feeling that I could easily be sick at any moment. & I quite often find myself retching at things. I seem to have that under control abit now though.
  5. 1.) Eat anything that you can tolerate, generally you will hunger/crave items that you will be able to keep down.

2.) Try to keep you stomach somewhat full as you will feel more nauseous when it's empty.

3.) Ask your doc about the Unisom/Vitamin B treatment, as that is something that helps a lot of people.

4.)Sleep as much as you can because you won't be sick when you sleep :smile:

5.) Stay away from citrus drinks and very acidic foods that will upset your stomach.

If you get to the point where you can't tolerate anything- you may have Hyperemesis Gravidarum and you should ask your doctor. I was hospitalized for 10 weeks with it and had to have Total P. Nutrition through a Catheter in my Bicep. It is a severe form of morning sickness. I was down to 91 lbs and had pyrtelism and very low albumin levels.
  6. Congrats! first of all
    There isnt anything you can do except wait it out :sad: a Dr. wont give you an rx unless you are throwing up constantly to where you are in danger of dehydration or not gaining weight. It should be gone by your 2nd trimester. Hang in there.
  7. Also wanted to add....

Just remember that it WILL end. When your hormone levels plateau and stop the rising (12 weeks or a little after), your body will feel better. Yes, some women do have nausea/morning sickness throughout their pregnancy but it's never as bad as the 1st part.

Also know that your baby is just fine as it's taking away all your stored nutrients and you are getting the leftovers. The baby that caused all my agony and $200k hospital bill is now a wonderful, lovely healthy 4 year old. :love:
  8. Congrat!! I wish you all the best. If it's any consolation, I hear that bad morning (all-day) sickness is a good indication that the baby is doing well and is very healthy. My morning sickness wasn't as bad as what you're describing, but I always kept plain saltine crackers at my bedside, and in my purse b/c they were the only thing that calmed my stomach. For me, it did pass once I was out of the 1st tri. However the aversion to smells lasted the full 9. Best of luck - hope it gets better!!!!
  9. Have you started taking prenatal vitamins? That could be another cause of nausea.

My morning sickness was triggered by smells. To cope, I carried a baggie with a few baby wipes or a lemon wedge. Would open the baggie to get rid of the offending smell.

You may also want to try saltine crackers, ginger ale, ginger tea, or ginger capsules.

Hope something helps you out. Congratulations!

10. I hope you aren't as well, but when you mentioned it ending around weeks 10-12, you sounded fairly certain it would end then. Again, I hope it will but if it's still going on past that time, don't think it WILL last the entire time.

Pregnancy is a crazy time. You just never know what your body will do! I hear so many women with more than one child commenting how different all their pregnancies were from each other. I had my daughter and I was done with kids, so I can't speak to that. In fact, I am one of those women that women LOVE to hate: I never had any morning sickness at all, not even from day one! I had two short waves of feeling queasy: once before I even knew I was pregnant and once when I was in labor. That was it for me in terms of morning sickness!!

OK, I'm running now! :wlae:
  11. Congrats! You've gotten great advice already. I will just scond the crackers and listening to what you are craving, those were the two that worked the best for me.
  12. Just to add a funny story... my mom had bad morning sickness with my youngest brother. The only way she felt better is if she was eating- not 'had eaten' but was constantly EATING. She put on 90 lbs with my brother!!!! She got all of the weight off and she always tells the story about how she would eat about 14 hours straight a day!!

I hope you start feeling better and start finding some foods you can stomach! Keep us updated!
  13. Congrats!! The only thing that helped me with morning sickness during both my pregnancies was 2 digestive biscuits first thing in the morning even before I got out of bed.
  14. Hmm, I wonder what the nutritional needs my body was undergoing when I was preggers. Here's my list of cravings (and I did eat this stuff too):

First trimester: two Oscar Meyer hotdogs with slaw, relish and mustard

Second trimester: a HUGE sticky bun from the local bakery every single morning

Third trimester: a Hershey's Golden Almond bar every single afternoon around 3:00.

Funny thing about this is I normally rarely ever eat hotdogs or sweet bakery goods of any kind. I'll plead the fifth on chocolate!:shame:

I gained 50 pounds when I was pregnant. Given I had a 6lb 13oz. baby girl, you can reckon how much of the rest of that was to be found in the list above! I did lose it all by my 6th month post-partum, thank you Jane Fonda!!