More help needed on my recent "fake" marcelle

1. Okay...just an update and some help needed about my recent fake marcelle purchase from my SIL.

She has recently found out that the girl that she bought it from is no longer working there and no one knows where she works now... not a surprise.

She has agreed to start paying me back the money that I gave her for the bag. She however doesn't want the bag either and asked me to sell it on eBay for her.

Now obvisouly I won't sell it as authentic, do you think it is worth it to sell it as a "similiar" marcelle to help her get back some of the money that she lost? If so, how do I word it correctly to not make people think that I'm trying to pass it off as an authentic. We did find out it is real pebbled leather they used to make the bag (she took it to Saks in the city yesterday to find out what they had to say) / just not obivously the quality they used and or smoothness of real Koobas.

Also, what can she hope to get for a bag like this, is it even worth to try?

Thanks again.

2. Yikes. Tough question, because I think technically you will be selling something that was created in order to deceive buyers and/or rip off designers (because we know that there are buyers out there who deliberately buy knock-offs). I don't know if you can remove the label and sell it just as a leather bag? I think I'll just leave that to the others here. But at least for the prices check out iOffer. That should give you an idea. Of course, those prices include a "premium" for the possibility that people might think those bags are the real deal.

3. I agree, that is a very tough question. Removing the label is probably an option I myself would look in to. Then try to sell it as just a leather bag as Katscorps said.

4. Honestly, I would not sell it. It's not just one of those 'similar in style' bags you see but one purposefully labeled to be passed off as a Kooba... which is illegal. I can't tell you how many times folks have related stories here in the various forums (eBay, specific bag forums, etc) about receiving fakes and how they've been instructed to destroy them, etc.

I know it's hard for both you and your SIL to be out of that money, but for me.... I honestly wouldn't take that chance legally or on principle. I wish I had a resource to point you to for more info. Unfortunately, I don't. Perhaps you can do a search and see what comes up?

I hope this works out for the best for you! Keep us updated.

5. Brimack, I agree with KoobaMe, I wouldn't try and sell it on eBay. I mean, how much would you and your sister hope to achieve? If you type in "Marcelle" into eBay it comes up with fakes. There's a black one that's a fake and even though it might not be quite as good a fake as yours (only you can tell), I think the price is telling as it's only selling for BIN $39.99.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LG-BLACK-LEATHER-LK-WHIPSTITCH-MARCELLE-HANDBAG-TOTE_W0QQitemZ180170680970QQihZ008QQcategoryZ63852QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

I would discourage you from selling it at all. Remember, if you sold it as a fake, who's to know the buyer won't try and sell it and pass it off as authentic to someone else and cause more upset? I'm sure you'd hate for that to happen to another person.

6. Thank you for your honest opinions.

7. I was going to say something but changed my mind.......:shrugs: oops

8. Just my opinion, but I would not try to sell it. It's a very expensive lesson learned, for both of you, but as stated above, it just wouldn't be right to sell it to someone else.

9. I agree with KoobaMe, listing it on ebay is not a good idea..you might have to cut your losses and put it down to experience. This bag was made to intentionally deceive someone (which the seller succeeding in doing), you don't want that to happen again..the less Kooba fakes in circulation, the better IMO..

10. Bad Karma selling it on eBay...
    Don't re-sell it....STOP THE INSANITY!!! :hysteric: FAKES STINK!!!! :girlsigh:

11. Hi,

Since you will recoup the money, how about donating it to Goodwill or Salvation Amy? I'd remove any tags first. Someone will find value in it and enjoy carrying this bag, and a charity will receive the proceeds, while you get a small tax deduction. It's a win-win.

Selling it on eBay seems like it would just continue the madness a bit and expose the fake to someone else.

12. Oh wow. i am so sorry this happened to you. I have a fake bag I bought long time ago off ebay sitting in my closet. I've though about selling it but I do not want to get in any trouble, so here I am, out of all the money I saved to buy this bag. At least you are getting your money back. I am sorry for your SIL. The salvation army is a good idea.

13. I second that.

14. I agree with the ladies, I don't think it's a good idea to sell it on eBay. Perhaps ripping off the tag and giving it away is an OK idea, but personally I'd feel bad putting a fake right back out there for someone else.

15. Wow - that's an excellent idea! :tup: