More ethical choices than "I'm not a plastic bag"

I was reading this article: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=419792&in_page_id=2

It's about how the "I'm not a plastic bag" is made under dubious conditions and not organic or anything. It's supposed to be eco-friendly, but they have to ship them from China and they don't carbon-balance or anything. I just wondered if the people clamoring for this bag realize that buying it might do more harm than good.

There are other options for stylish earth-friendly bags that do make a difference.

There's this bag the "friends of al" eco tote by Hayden-Harnett. It's $55 but $35 of it goes to planting trees and global warming charities.

HH_ecotote.jpg

There's this bag called the "feed" bag that's put out by the world food programme: It's $60 dollars, but that money will feed a schoolchild for a year in a developing country. You can get this one through Amazon.
51AcWvxlkzL._AA280_.jpg

I know the "I'm not a plastic bag" bags are cheaper, but there are ethical concerns with that bag.

Very cute and great ideas!!

Are there "not a plastic bag" bags going to help any org?

No, her goal was to raise awareness of how many plastic bags we use. She never said she donated to charity. Additionally, she has a refutation for the charges that they were made "under dubious conditions" on her website under FAQ (according to the company they were not).

I don't know what it is about the "I'm not a plastic bag" that rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's because it's become this huge status symbol instead of actually encouraging people not to use plastic bags. I've heard of people who will carry the bag and then get plastic bags because they don't want their bag to get dirty!

I've heard this trend referred to as "greenwashing," where something appears eco-friendly but when you look closer, it's not.

I don't know what it is about the "I'm not a plastic bag" that rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's because it's become this huge status symbol instead of actually encouraging people not to use plastic bags. I've heard of people who will carry the bag and then get plastic bags because they don't want their bag to get dirty!

I've heard this trend referred to as "greenwashing," where something appears eco-friendly but when you look closer, it's not.

I understand what you are saying. However, I think that at least for some people, it does raise awareness; the end result is more people than before the product came out are aware of the issue. There will always be people who are selfish and miss the point. But look at all the media coverage. And people lining up demonstrates that there is a market. Lots of designers were convinced that only "weirdo vegans" cared about things like that. Now more traditional, European shopping bags aren't quite as 'weird' in the US and other places. I have more of a problem with people like Stella McCartney charging eighty bazillion dollars for something that isn't leather, and designers who are hopping on this trend and making each bag $300 or more. It's the price point, it helps Anya Corporation, true. I, though, am a fan of letting the market do what it does - and this demonstrates that customers are interested in being green. Of course it is people's responsibility to do research, but just in case they don't, does it really MATTER whether the person in line using one does it for status or ideology? The same number of plastic bags are not being used. The environment ultimately doesn't care what is in the mind of the consumer.

I use plastic bags from the grocery store as garbage liners instead of going out and purchasing (thick, heavy) Hefty bags, which is just as benign towards the environment. I also don't believe saving the environment involves fueling a consumer frenzy, when the issue itself is consumption, but I do like the concept behind those two bags you posted. :smile:

I also don't believe saving the environment involves fueling a consumer frenzy,

First let me say I have no idea why I'm defending this, it doesn't matter that much to me. :wtf:

BUT... actually I do believe that a frenzy of some kind is often the hallmark of significant change in a society. We wouldn't have had the space race and the resulting widely applicable technology if it wasn't for competition with Russia, and that was a MAJOR frenzy and was wrapped up in a kind of patriotism, etc.

I guess I just believe in using people's selfishness in a positive way. But then again, I'm a behaviorist. :rolleyes:

People that just want reusable grocery bags without the hype should check out http://www.usa.envirosax.com/index.php.

As an American living in London, I use a cheap J. Crew knockoff of the Longchamp Les Pliages tote to carry my groceries. One bag is enough here because groceries tend to go bad faster, so you usually have to make 2-3 trips to the market per week.

The Envirosax are nice because they're actually geared toward American-style grocery shopping, since you get 5 bags that are each supposed to hold as much as two plastic bags. I plan to order some for when I get home.

I understand what you are saying. However, I think that at least for some people, it does raise awareness; the end result is more people than before the product came out are aware of the issue. There will always be people who are selfish and miss the point. But look at all the media coverage. And people lining up demonstrates that there is a market. Lots of designers were convinced that only "weirdo vegans" cared about things like that. Now more traditional, European shopping bags aren't quite as 'weird' in the US and other places. I have more of a problem with people like Stella McCartney charging eighty bazillion dollars for something that isn't leather, and designers who are hopping on this trend and making each bag $300 or more. It's the price point, it helps Anya Corporation, true. I, though, am a fan of letting the market do what it does - and this demonstrates that customers are interested in being green. Of course it is people's responsibility to do research, but just in case they don't, does it really MATTER whether the person in line using one does it for status or ideology? The same number of plastic bags are not being used. The environment ultimately doesn't care what is in the mind of the consumer.

Very well said Bitty Monkey :tup:, i really hope my english will be very good so i could write something like this.

I know some people would think that the hype is just ridiculous, or anything, but i just dont get it, we are all the bag people.... we love bag, we love brand, and if with our love to bag would bring something better for the environment, what is wrong with that? The thing is, status symbol or not, the awareness of the people had rebuild, and that is good.

I live in London and have seen a number of the Anya bags being carried around as handbags and not as a replacement for plastic bags. In fact, I have yet to spot one being used for any other purpose apart from as a handbag. Therefore, I'm not sure it has actually raised awareness for these people. Although I can see BittyMonkey's point of view, I have yet to spot any evidence of this on the streets of London.

What difference does it make to the environment if they are still lugging around their groceries in plastic bags while they use their Anya bag as a main handbag? I am not trying to generalise here and will therefore limit my conclusion to the people I have observed so far, but in my opinion, for those people it is still a status symbol and they don't intend to change their behaviours or habits as far as plastic bags are concerned. To them, it has just been a cheap way of buying an Anya Hindmarch bag...