More anorexic victims........

it's really hard not to have an eating disorder. from personal experience when i was 13 weighed 88 lbs my mom was calling me names, i was ugly, fat, she called me piggy she pinched my stomach so hard it hurt. i used to eat nothing all thru highschool except for sour peach gummys. i was depressed for so long. if your own mother thinks you are fat and ugly, who could possibly think i was pretty?

12 years later i'm 25, 90 lbs and my mom doesn't call me names anymore.

Look people... as weird as this may sounds we are ALL contributing to this social dysfunction. We buy the ridiculously-priced bags by the ultra-luxurious manufacturers, we buy the magazines like Cosmopolitan (Helen Gurley Brown, Helen Gurley Brown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, have you ever seen her, she is a shriveled old stick, a victim and a perpetrator of an entire culture's perceptions of "beauty,") and we IDOLIZE the models for their beauty, not for their intellect. Does anyone even KNOW (or care) that Cindy Crawford was her high school's valedictorian?

Same thing goes for things like diamonds, (which I had an enormous debate about on another thread earlier this year,) which are sometimes mined by questionable practices.

Same thing goes for pretty much everything consumable in our culture. There are victims for everything. Why should a model be held in higher regard than say, animals for testing drugs or anonymous children exploited by child labor?

Sometimes we hold the wrong things in esteem in our society. You can either buy into it, or not.
Yeah it's sad she died, but she was brainwashed by an industry. Even organized religion is brainwashing. People just have to be smart enough to listen to their own moral and ethical compass to make their own informed choices.

It will be a great day when women begin to believe that curves are sexy and embrace their bodies. In college I lived with girls with eating disorders, and it is really sad to live with and see- and it is ADDICTIVE (from a psych perspective). I moved out and away from them because it took so much for me to remain 'normal'.

It will just be great when everyone can discover it's OK just to be YOU and not aspire to be a stick-figure. I think self-confidence is by far the most sexy attribute in a person, no matter what they weigh or how they look. It's a shame we as a culture allow ourselves to be brainwashed to thinking we're somehow 'not good enough.'

Hey Jane.... It's a great website, but you can't just narrow it down to bag manufacturers, this is something very deeply embedded in our culture's subconscious. It's the fashion magazines, it's media in general, it's peer pressure... It's even BARBIES from when you're little.

To change this is to completely overhaul our culture, starting with kindergarten and emphasizing things like art and culture and even the way we raise our children, which is a REALLY complicated factor, with latchkey kids and two parents working, and solving behavioral problems with meds.

I wish I knew where to start.

It will just be great when everyone can discover it's OK just to be YOU and not aspire to be a stick-figure. I think self-confidence is by far the most sexy attribute in a person, no matter what they weigh or how they look. It's a shame we as a culture allow ourselves to be brainwashed to thinking we're somehow 'not good enough.'

It is a problem of our culture, yes, but much of this stems from home life too.

Really, you are right- the answer is no where near simple. But it is our society and the strive for 'perfection'. It is not even about being healthy- it is about fitting a mold.

I must admit, talking about this after Thanksgiving makes me feel a little :s

:roflmfao:

I have a 12 year old daughter and she is probably considered overweight, I know she thinks she is. I pick her up at school and see all of the skinny little girls running around. It is only made worse when we go clothes shopping. No matter where we go she had a hard time finding clothes that fit her. I have to buy her the largest size in the junior department and I've had to go to the misses department for jeans. She wears a size 10 comfortably, just has curves. I try to make her feel okay about herself but she constantly talks about dieting. It really worries me that it will only get worse as she gets older.

^ so sorry to hear that. No child should have to feel like they need to diet. My little brother was always kind of huskier... around 14 he leaned out soo much! Sometimes it just takes time.

Just make sure you keep being how you are with your daughter- is she in any athletic programs? That will help her out and help her self-esteem. :heart:

classwhore: You hit it on the mark. This is a bigger problem than just anorexic models. Our culture is a throw-away culture, and models are to most deigners just walking clothes hangers. Most women will bemoan the state of self-image and eating disorders and then go merrily on their way, doing the same things, believing the same things and buying the same things.

luvshopping90: If your dd hasn't been overweight for very long, you should know that it is normal for girls to go through phases where they gain weight before growing in height. So a very normal and slim child can be overweight for a while and not actually be overweight at all (if that makes sense...). I had a friend in middle school and high school who wore "pretty plus" sizes almost every other year. Then she would shoot up in height and be quite slim again. Today she is quite healthy, tall and slim and is a ballet instructor.

I think that having our kids involved in sporting activities and engaging in exercise and healthy lifestyles ourselves are the best things we can do to influence our kids to be healthy.

I have a 12 year old daughter and she is probably considered overweight, I know she thinks she is. I pick her up at school and see all of the skinny little girls running around. It is only made worse when we go clothes shopping. No matter where we go she had a hard time finding clothes that fit her. I have to buy her the largest size in the junior department and I've had to go to the misses department for jeans. She wears a size 10 comfortably, just has curves. I try to make her feel okay about herself but she constantly talks about dieting. It really worries me that it will only get worse as she gets older.
I feel sad for your daughter. Let her know and learn how important it is to eat well and try to get rid of the sugar and fat, there is way too much crap out there. Exercise is key, it is all about lifestyle. You don't want her to have a lifestyle of dieting. Megs may be right, she could totally thin out in a couple of years, just keep her active.

It's terrible

I'm glad Spain has done something with the fashion runway culture. I'm hoping Milan and the other fashion cities will do the same its ridiculous that some designer pacifically only use stick thin girl to showcase their collection. Its just disturbing.

my 10 year old is going through this now... its so hard and its a losing battle.. i just tell her that she is so beautiful and i love her the way she is..i rub on her belly and lay on it like its a pillow and she just smiles- i tell her that she is stil mamas lil girl. and beautiful she is... but in her school these lil girls are so thin there pants fall off them-i dont think their parents feed them.. they wear low riders and their but cracks are hanging out at 10- i mean cmon- i wore highwasted pants until the day i left home.. grandma was not having it and i ate 3 healthy fatty meals a day and i am just fine..
and by the way everybodys comments were right on point !!!!!!
society...

Great article in today's NY Times Magazine about one family's struggle with their 14 year old daughter's anorexia. The family employed the Maudsley approach, and through persistent cajoling and high calorie meals/snacks, they were able to restore their daughter's weight to healthy levels. Moreover, the daughter's cognitive skills were restored along with her body weight.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/26/magazine/26anorexia.html

It's quite long, but worth reading. It also goes into the neurological consequences of anorexia, which addresses why Dr. Phil's anorexic twins are so intractable.

Jane