money order of cashier's check

1. so i have been wanting to sell my flute for quite a while and finally someone wants to buy it. it's quite a big amount that he is paying for. $600 or $700 and he asked if I wanted a money order of cashier's check. i'm not sure about the difference but which do you think is safer?
    also he has a shipping company that is going to pick up the flute, do you think that is safe?
  2. bump?
  3. I would tell him only a USPS money order and as long as it's reputable company picking it up, I don't see the harm.
  4. thank you.
    is there a difference between mc and cc?
  5. oops i just saw. in the title it's suppose to be
    money order OR cashier's check
  6. Money orders come from the post office, and cashier's checks come from the bank. In either case, you should wait until the payment clears because with both it is possible the instrument has been forged. I don't really know of any practical differences for the seller between these two methods, though.
  7. After doing some researching for's what I found.

However, in addition to their details, I think anything under $500 is a Money Order, and anything above $500 automatically becomes a cashier's check. (Or at least something close. I know that I bought something on eBay with a MO/CCheck and they were like "Well, you can't have one of those because they start at $500...) Can't seem to remember which is which.

Cashier’s Check

A cashier’s check is a direct obligation of the bank. Therefore, the company to whom the check is made payable is guaranteed payment. This type of check is drawn on the bank itself and is signed by an officer or employee of the bank. It may also be called a “bank check”, “official check”, “bank official check”, or “teller’s check”.
    Essentially, a bank withdraws the value of the check (plus a fee) from the purchaser’s account and deposits it into a bank escrow account at the same location. When the check is cashed, the funds are drawn from this escrow account. (A ‘teller’s check” is a cashier check drawn on an account at another bank.)
    Several court decisions have held that a cashier’s check is the equivalent of cash and, as such, payment on it cannot be “stopped.” However, a bank may refuse to pay a cashier’s check if it believes it has a defense against the entity presenting the check. A defense might be an affidavit from the purchaser stating that the check was stolen.
    Money Order

The term “money order” is not well-defined by the UCC code; however, UCC §3-104(f) does state that “an instrument may be a check even though it is described on its face by another term, such as ‘money order’.”
    There are actually two types of money orders: bank money orders and personal money orders.
    Bank money orders are a form of cashier’s or teller’s check, and subject to the same regulations. They are sold by banks and signed by a bank official. They are usually fully completed (including payee and remitter information) when sold.
    Personal money orders are more common and sold in a variety of venues. The purchaser signs the money order, and remitter or payee information is often left blank for the purchaser to complete later. Personal money orders are subject to “stop payments” just like personal checks.