moms w/more than one child- how imp. is it to be 'hands free'

1. i am expecting my second child soon and i am imagining myself out with a toddler and a baby and a large bag. i was thinking that a cross-body strap so that i could be hands free wouild be important- what do you think? does it matter? or will a large purse do? i'd rather avoid having 2 bags ( a purse & diaper bag).

the newborn will either be in a baby bjorn or a stroller all the time when out doing errands (i'm a sahm so errands happen often).

thanks for your help! :smile:
  2. Hands free when you have small children is so important. I used a leather backpack when my oldest was 4 years old when my youngest child was born. Sure helped me out a lot. I still had a diaper bag but it was stashed in the stroller basket.
  3. Hands free is important - at one point i had 3 under 3yrs and had to be hands free at times.(they are now 5yrs-twins and my youngest is 3yrs) I used a crumpler bag with an adjustable strap so it could go cross-body, on my shoulder- or the strap shortened further and hung over the buggy. Not glam, not designer or expensive but very functional. It was also made of waterproof rip stop fabric so totally indestructable!!!
  4. We have a lot of kids and have found a few different things that worked...if you have a stroller, it doesnt matter what kind of bag you have b/c it can just go on there...if not, a backpack or messenger style worked well. I also wore the baby in a sling or meitai so I had hands free for the other kids
  5. I have three kids, now ages almost 2, 3.5 and 6. Hands free bags are a NECESSITY for me. Ive tried the pretty bag stuffed in the stroller route, but its a pain to dig it out and get into it when you have a screaming baby on your hands. And you dont always have the stroller with you, either.

I highly reccomend that you use a cross body bag thats soft and squishy with a zipper closure and and some outside compartments. It has to be big enough for 2 diapers, a slim package of wipes, a bottle, a pacifier, a new outfit (in case of a diaper leak) a changing pad (I use use a piece of rubberized cotton sheeting, its very compact and you can throw it in the wash) and a snack, plus your own wallet, cell, keys, brush, glasses, makeup. So that means a pretty good size bag, but not necessarily huge. Best of luck to you!
  6. I feel your pain. I wore all 3 of mine in a sling, so a messenger or backpack worked best for me. Since my 3rd is 5 yr younger than his sister, it's just the 2 of us most of the time, so I was able to bypass the diaper bag this time. I just used a tote bag which I kept in my car. I live in the suburbs so I drive everywhere.

I think a backpack night work best for you since you are carrying in the bjorn, the weight will be balance, kwim? and you will still have hands free to hold your toddler's hand.

I got my sister a Coach backpack the (Sonoma) on eBay (since it's an older style) for $60 in excellent condition. I wore a Prada nylon backpack with my older girls but it was a bit of a pain witht he sling since it would slide off one shoulder.

Congrats on your pregnancy and best of luck!
  7. I HAVE to be hands free w/ my little ones:yes:
    When I carry a bag for my kids, I just put my wallet and phone in it, foregoing my purse that day.
  8. You all are very brave. I have a 4month old, 2yr old and 6 yr old and have not even attempted to take them all out with me, unless I am with DH or dropping them of at their grandmas so I can go run errands. If I need to go somewhere like grocery shopping I order peapod or wait until DH gets home from work.
  9. I bought a diaper bag that hooks onto the stroller. It is a wonderful and I have a backpack purse...
  10. i was the same way arireyes....i had twins, and i hardly every took them anywehre when they were infants....waited for dh to come home, or my mom...i had a great kipling bag when my kids were in diapers; they are so fantastic...lightweight, washable, cute, and if you can find the right one, pockets galore...i had to be hands free, still the look of cross body and its so pratical...
  11. I have 3.5 yr old twin boys and a 6 yr DD. My DH travels A LOT and I can't stand to be home, I'm quite sure we annoy people, but I take them all out alone a lot!
  12. i like several bags. the Hayden Harnett Ibiza Tote, the lv palermo gm, miu miu bags, and then there are the more diaper bags/less purse styles like fleurville. all i mentioned can go crossbody. the price ranges are all over the map, too.

i also don't like changing my bag too often, so i want it to be 'packed'. new baby stuff, plus as my daughter potty trains, i'll need extra changes of clothes for her, too! i do figure i'll need to have a fair amt. w/ me. i'm hoping to nurse, so that will eliminate the need for bottles and whatnot. thanks for all your help! i don't think i can pull off a backpack, so i am def. leaning towards a sling-option bag. any other ideas?
  13. If you wore your baby in a sling or mei tai, that would help. I've found that to be one of the most important things in the baby care arsenal, even now with our DS at 8 months and our DD at 2 years 8 months. If your hands are free while holding the baby, it leaves them open for so many other things (including occasionally carrying a nice handbag ;)).

ETA: Just saw the Bjorn comment. Please research before purchasing. Bjorns suspend children by their crotch, which can be harmful to their spines and development. If you want a soft structured carrier, I highly recommend the Ergo Baby Carrier. I have one and use it all the time, even used it on my 2 year old last summer.
  14. ^^^ thanks so much- i will check that out- i'm also interested in trying a sling. i've never used one before.
  15. I think you will be surprised how having 2 kids won't be as hard as you think. I feel like the transition was easy. I used the baby bjorn A LOT for errands, or a double stroller, used a normal purse/bag. Good luck!