Moissanite vs. Asha vs. CZ

I have several moissanite rings, and IME they only look less than white when put next to a CZ or a spectacularly white diamond (which my real diamond e-ring is not). So I am happy with them, and get lots of compliments.

Question - are there different qualities of CZs which do not cloud, or take much longer to look cloudy?

_Anyone? Chaz, perhaps?

^I have some earrings and a couple of rings and I think cz's look better if you don't clean them a lot (something in the jewelry cleaner may have clouded mine) and if you do not wear them constantly.
Also a jeweler told my friend to make sure to use lotions before sparingly before putting a ring on.

^I have some earrings and a couple of rings and I think cz's look better if you don't clean them a lot (something in the jewelry cleaner may have clouded mine) and if you do not wear them constantly.
Also a jeweler told my friend to make sure to use lotions before sparingly before putting a ring on.

-interesting!

since my moissanites are super sparkly, i rarely clean them...that makes them look more diamond-like

moissanites don't cloud up like czs, i have been wearing my earrings daily for a couple of years...they act like diamonds in the sense that they don't change composition or appearance, i imagine they will look the same in 10-20 years

since my moissanites are super sparkly, i rarely clean them...that makes them look more diamond-like

moissanites don't cloud up like czs, i have been wearing my earrings daily for a couple of years...they act like diamonds in the sense that they don't change composition or appearance, i imagine they will look the same in 10-20 years

-Yes, I have a few moissanite rings and I really love them! Can't beat that sparkle. I don't think they cloud up like CZ, but hopefully the experts will chime in.

I still am curious as to whether there are different qualities or 'grades' of CZ.

I buy CZ earring studs so I won't cry if I lose one or both.

Question - are there different qualities of CZs which do not cloud, or take much longer to look cloudy?

There are definitely different qualities of CZ, and then CZ coated in diamond like the Asha is another thing altogether. Most of the cloudiness and discoloration in the past was from poor polishing on stones as well and binders/stablizers holding molecules together. High quality CZ will not become cloudy and now pretty much all of them will not discolor.

As for the Asha I have owned several. Seven to be exact. They are the closest thing to looking like real diamonds. I have also owned diamonds and mossianite and CZ but once I saw Ashas there was no turning back.

Moissanite with it's higher refractive index looks more sparklie but not as diamond like. The cut is slightly different to compensate for the double refraction which makes stones look slightly blurry sometimes. It does have some body color though you can find ones that are not as green or warm. It does look better when dirty than CZ but Asha stays quite clean with the diamond coating. Diamonds do not get cloudy over time and neither does the Asha. Asha and moissanite are both pretty durable but Asha can scratch and moissanite is chip prone and even diamonds can be damaged.

I can see the difference between diamond and moissanite with the naked eye, and oftentimes with CZ with close inspection but I have the hardest time distinguishing diamond from Asha.

These are just my personal experiences as a consumer and jewelery fanatic so take it for what you will. I hope that was helpful.

Here is my InterLap CZ ring!

I'm pretty pleased with the stone -- it's a 7mm princess or quadrillion brilliant InterLap. I paid mainly for the airline palladium setting; the stone itself was about $50.

I'm not sure if I captured the CZ clearly enough with my old camera... the last picture is a stock photo of the stone.

Haven't had it long enough to know about clouding... I'll keep you posted!

Attachments

• interlap1.jpg
    interlap1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 9,715
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 3,830
  • quad-b.jpg
    quad-b.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 3,350
Last edited:
Thanks, mlbags! :flowers:

Here are my candid observations:

The InterLap CZ has a nice icy depth than most czs. The brilliance is amazing outdoors and under fluorescent lighting it is an icy white. It does not shoot as much brilliance indoors as I would like; the brilliance appears contained just under the table of the stone, perhaps due to the flat table of the princess cut. I hope this makes sense.

I had my pick of stones in a "color" range. They offered colorless and something considered "G-H" range. Since my original .71 diamond e-ring was "G", I went with that color range. I'm not sure if there is any formal color scale for czs and moissanites tho.

If I think of anything else, I'll add later.

^^blingaholic, can you post some pics of your rings? Is the CW a warm looking stone?

Actually I had mentioned I was looking for the chinese white interlap on another thread here (but decided on the G-H)! I will probably order the CW soon to have a look personally. You've got me curious now. Thank goodness I'm playing with czs and not diamonds or I'd be in big trouble$$...

Thanks ashsin, I've always liked cathedral-style settings. My original e-ring was in a cathedral (diamond sat in a basket). The setting was the main consideration for this particular purchase actually. I wanted a reasonably good quality palladium setting - with mega oomph :P

My worry about the Asha when trying to decide between Asha and Moissanite was that I read on another forum that the coating can come off the Asha after a while and that rather put me off.