Modest dressing doesn't have to be boring

this post made me laugh out loud! This lady is Mallika Sherawat, a bollywood actress and if you google her you will see she and modest don't go together!

I dress fairly modestly not particularly for religious/cultural reasons but beuase that how I am comfortable, but I was wondering what is considered to be modest dressing especially in terms of length of clothes or is that subjective to the individual? I am genuinely curious and if I have offended anyone I am sorry.:flowers:

Hi ladies! What exactly do you mean by modest dressing? Not provocative/revealing?

Genuinely curious :smile:

I dress fairly modestly not particularly for religious/cultural reasons but beuase that how I am comfortable, but I was wondering what is considered to be modest dressing especially in terms of length of clothes or is that subjective to the individual? I am genuinely curious and if I have offended anyone I am sorry.:flowers:

For me, dressing modestly means never showing cleavage (not that I have that much :biggrin:) and wearing clothing that does not reveal too much skin. I also shy away from tight clothing and anything that accentuates my chest or butt.

In the summertime I don't wear shorts or tank tops out in public -- I do wear them at home though. At work I wear pants and long sleeved shirts or a maxi dress with a cardigan. I'll sometimes wear a knee-length skirt. For casual clothes, out in public I always wear long pants and a long sleeved shirt during the day time as I want to protect my arms from the sun. If I'm going out after the sun goes down, I will wear a short sleeved shirt.

I mentioned before that one of my main reasons for dressing this way is to set a good example for my young daughter. I want to show her that women can be attactive and stylish without showing off their bodies. Another reason I cover up is to protect myself from the sun. I've had several biopsies and moles removed over the years. I don't want to risk getting skin cancer.

For me, dressing modestly means never showing cleavage (not that I have that much :biggrin:) and wearing clothing that does not reveal too much skin. I also shy away from tight clothing and anything that accentuates my chest or butt.

In the summertime I don't wear shorts or tank tops out in public -- I do wear them at home though. At work I wear pants and long sleeved shirts or a maxi dress with a cardigan. I'll sometimes wear a knee-length skirt. For casual clothes, out in public I always wear long pants and a long sleeved shirt during the day time as I want to protect my arms from the sun. If I'm going out after the sun goes down, I will wear a short sleeved shirt.

I mentioned before that one of my main reasons for dressing this way is to set a good example for my young daughter. I want to show her that women can be attactive and stylish without showing off their bodies. Another reason I cover up is to protect myself from the sun. I've had several biopsies and moles removed over the years. I don't want to risk getting skin cancer.

Same here :biggrin:

Here are some more:
Screen+shot+2011-04-12+at+8.37.02+AM.png

Screen+shot+2011-04-12+at+8.38.04+AM.png

Love this colorful skirt! I love skirts that flow this way :tup:

This is a bit tangential to this thread, but 'modest blogging' seems like such an oxymoron to me. Dressing conservatively and then posting pictures of yourself all over the internet for people to look at... um, that doesn't seem modest. At all.

^ Perhaps not, but I think it is fair for modest dressing to be represented on fashion blogging as well as other styles of dress. And modest dressing doesn't necessarily equal a modest individual, KWIM? In other words, we don't know any of these people, and some of them may discuss very immodest topics with their friends! In other words, modest dressing doesn't have to equal a person who is modest in every area of his/her life (thus blogging and posting pictures online).

Likewise, there are many people who genuinely want to help others with no thought to recognition. But these people rarely turn down an invitation from, say, a president for an award for the work they've done. I think even Mother Theresa was recognized. They didn't do it FOR the award, but they wouldn't turn it down. So I think many people blog about fashion modesty in order to provide a positive example to others and not simply to have themselves stared at or have their picture public. We never know someone's intent, so I figure it is best not to judge.

^ Perhaps not, but I think it is fair for modest dressing to be represented on fashion blogging as well as other styles of dress. And modest dressing doesn't necessarily equal a modest individual, KWIM? In other words, we don't know any of these people, and some of them may discuss very immodest topics with their friends! In other words, modest dressing doesn't have to equal a person who is modest in every area of his/her life (thus blogging and posting pictures online).

Likewise, there are many people who genuinely want to help others with no thought to recognition. But these people rarely turn down an invitation from, say, a president for an award for the work they've done. I think even Mother Theresa was recognized. They didn't do it FOR the award, but they wouldn't turn it down. So I think many people blog about fashion modesty in order to provide a positive example to others and not simply to have themselves stared at or have their picture public. We never know someone's intent, so I figure it is best not to judge.

:yes:

Excellent post!!!:flowers:Thank you!