Modern Chain Flap or Classic Flap?

1. Hi Ladies! I'm thinking about making my first Chanel bag purchase :yahoo: and can't seem to decide between the Modern Chain flap in black or the Classic Flap in black caviar with silver hardware. I know that the Modern Chain is only available for this season and the Classic Flap is always available which makes me lean toward the Modern Chain. However I haven't seen it in person and I'm wondering how delicate the leather is. Would it scratch easy? How big is it compared to the Classic Flap in large? I don't carry too much but I would put my chanel sunglasses case, wallet or credit card holder depending on room, razor phone, keys, lipgloss, gum, blotting sheets, and eye drops in it. Would this all fit comfortably? Also which bag do you prefer? Sorry for all the questions. I'm just so excited and want to make sure I make the right choice. Thank you!

2. The fact that the classic flap is always available, as you noted, makes me lean towards that. I like seriously classic pieces, personally! You can get the classic flap in caviar leather or lambskin, and the former is very durable. I have a black lambskin classic flap and its not quite as delicate as I had been led to believe. You don't have to be extra careful with it or anything.

3. I love the classic flap. Plus, what a great first chanel purchase.

4. If you're just starting out, I'd tend to build a collection of classic pieces first. I don't tend to buy styles that are just out for one season - while I love the MC flap, it's just a bit more edgy, and I think I'd be more likely to tire of that than the classic flap, which can be worn from age 15 to 70!

Hmmm, I'm not sure you can fit the Chanel sunnies case inside that comfortably - it's quite thick, no? My classic flap can hold enough for a light day/evening out, but cannot fit a glasses case into it once my keys, wallet, cell and PDA are in there (and my stuff is all very thin).

5. Thanks for the advice everyone...I think you all are right. It's probably best to get the classic flap. I really want to carry my sunglasses with me so I'll just have to try it out in person.

6. I'd go for the MC Flap as it's more limited.
    It's quite a bit smaller than the large Classic but softer so not as structured, meaning more flexible so it fits more than you may think.
    The leather is soft, but durable, it's calfskin so it's not uber delicate or anything.
    Also another thing is the should drop is shorter on the MC Flap, may want to keep that in mind, may not be comfy over a winter coat if you'll have to wear one, also depending on how big/small you are.

7. I just has this same problem between the two bags, but everone on this wonderful forum pushed me towards the MC flap for many reasons and I just ordered it and cant wait to get it!! You can always get a classic, today, tommarow, next year, they will always be around! goodluck with your choice!

8. I would go with the MC Flap because it is just for this season. You can always get the classic caviar. It also depends how you dress. The classic caviar can be dressed up or down, but tends to be a bit more on the dressy side. The MC flap can easily be worn for day and for casual night, too. Just not for formal or really dressy night. I have the MC flap and the caviar bags in ivory and pink; and the MC flap holds alot more because the leather is softer and it doesn't have the second flap. Both are beautiful and you can't go wrong with either. Let us know what you decide!

9. I prefer the classic flap because it can last you a very long time.

10. I personally prefer the classic flap because it's timeless. However, everyone is right in that you an get them anytime. So, if you love the MC flap, I would get it because you can always get the classic.

11. Thank you all for your opinions! The more I think about it the more I want the MC flap. It's more casual which fits my style and I can always get a classic flap later. ;) Will the MC flap still be around in Jan. or should I buy it now?

12. You NEVER know, Jan is a L O N G ways away, I'd get one now.

13. I say MC too as the Classic Flap will be around for awhile and the MC is a limited item.

SInce this is your first CHanel, trust me you have other opportunities to grab the Classic Flap. MC gives the shout out of day/night, formal/informal occassions.

Hope that helps!

14. Thank you all for the advice! I'm gonna check out both bags tonight...hopefully the store here has the MC flap. I have to see both in person before I can choose. I'll let you all know what I decide. :smile:

15. Okay, well I called the store in Orlando and they don't have the MC flap in black so I ended up doing a charge send for it! I should get it on Monday! If I don't like it as much as I thought then I'll exchange it for the classic flap. Yay! I'm so excited!!! Never spent that much on a bag before...bf is gonna kill me. lol.