MJ quilted venetia - question from an MJ newbie :)

1. Hi ladies... So after being a long diehard balenciaga fan, I actually fell head over heels in love :love: with the MJ quilted Venetia & LV Manhattan GM. The problem is (aside that I can only get one:lol:) I have never seen, touch, nor held any of these bags IRL. But I know a lot of you have (and also own them), so I thought I'd ask...

- What's good about MJ bags? Do they last a long time, excellent quality control, excellent customer service, etc.?

- What's your opinion on the Quilted Venetia (I'm currently eyeing the ivory one)? Is it super heavy (I'm used to Balenciaga bags - the First, City, and Work)? Does it fit over the shoulder (I hope so)?

- Does it have many compartments or just the two front pockets? What's the lining made of and what color is it (I'm hoping it's not something that I have to worry about getting dirty too fast)?

- Oh, and I feel dumb asking this, but is the Quilted Venetia an older style/limited edition? Just want to know how hard it'll be to get one :yes:

Feel free to throw in your other comments, thoughts, and suggestions! Thank you so much in advanced! :heart:

MJvsLV_2.jpg MJvsLV_1.jpg
  2. I almost bought a ivory quilted venetia a few months back at Neiman Marcus. When I was looking at it I noticed that MJ isn't lining that bag in suede anymore so it is less heavy than it used to be. I was actually carrying my balenciaga city at the time and the venetia is def. a heavier bag. However, I do think the quilted ivory is absolutely beautiful, very chic and classic looking. Hope that helps. :yes:

3. Hi there!

- What's good about MJ bags? Do they last a long time, excellent quality control, excellent customer service, etc.?

I have many MJ bags...the earliest dating back to 2003. I've got the Stella, Sophia, Venetia, Amanda, and Stam...I also had a hobo. I think they are really great bags, and unfortunately, very addicting. I haven't had any problems with mine, so I've yet to call MJ and find out what their customer service is like. I've heard that they tend to be more helpful if the bag was purchased from their store, versus a department store or elsewhere.

- What's your opinion on the Quilted Venetia (I'm currently eyeing the ivory one)? Is it super heavy (I'm used to Balenciaga bags - the First, City, and Work)? Does it fit over the shoulder (I hope so)?

The Venetia is a heavy bag - definitely heavier than Balenciaga. I have a Venetia without suede interior, and I find that it's a nice arm workout. I'm not sure what modifications they've made to Venetias since I purchased mine, but mine will fit over the shoulder during the summertime...definitely not with a heavy coat (I'm around 5'3", between 110 and 115).

- Does it have many compartments or just the two front pockets? What's the lining made of and what color is it (I'm hoping it's not something that I have to worry about getting dirty too fast)?
    There is an interior zipper pocket, and flap pocket in mine (again, without the sueded interior). I think the color of the lining depends on the color of the bag and when it was produced. I haven't seen a Quilted one, so I'm not sure if it is cloth or quilted.

- Oh, and I feel dumb asking this, but is the Quilted Venetia an older style/limited edition? Just want to know how hard it'll be to get one :yes:
    I think the Quilted may have been for the resort line...although don't quote me on it. Not sure it they are being continued...I haven't seen one in a really long time.

Good luck!

4. Adding to SuLi & Meep's replies. =)

1. Venetia is a very sophisticated style, I love it. =)
    It's not super heavy (HW - 2 pushlocks; not too much lining), there are heavier ones out there. I can't think of any leather bags that are lighter than Balenciaga's. =) And yes, Venetia can be worn on the shoulder.

2. It doesn't have multiple compartments like Blake or Sophia.
    Recent Quilted MJ styles (bags & wallets) no longer have suede lining (switched to canvas), the calf leather (non-quilted) ones are still lined with suede.

3. Quilted & non-Quilted Venetia are being continued; I have seen the quilted version already. Whether or not it's hard to find really depends on your color of choice. Are you thinking of Ivory?

I recently bought a Quilted Venetia in Bordeaux (Icey Leather, Antiqued Hardware, and suede lining) for my sister. Crossing fingers that she'll love it when I show it to her. Here are some pictures from the listing (from leshent).

0f_1_sbl.jpg 7b_1_sbl.jpg 37_1_sbl.jpg ae_1_sbl.jpg b0_1_sbl.jpg
  5. Ohhhh THANK YOU meep, SuLi, and bag.lover! You are very very helpful!

bag.lover: Ohhh I love your bordeaux quilted venetia!!!! I was eyeing the ivory on BG's website because that's the only one they have in stock right now aside from the metallic one. What other colors do they come in (aside from black, ivory, and bordeaux) & what are usually hard to find?

And I'm so glad that they're continuing it! That means I'm not stuck with what's left over :smile: You said you got yours from leshent? Do they usually show up in eBay?

meep, so newer versions are not lined with suede, so they're lighter? I see... so if buying online/over the phone I'll have to check which one it's lined with :smile: Did you remember what color was the lining on the ivory quilted venetia?

and SuLi omg another addicting bag LOL, god knows I don't need another addicting bag, balenciaga's bad enough for my cc :roflmfao:

6. did I respond to you before about this?? eek!! Sorry if I didn't I went on vacation!!

I have the black quilted and it's SUPER heavy, mostly in part by the suede interior. I held an ivory with canvas interior last week and it was MUCH lighter.

There are only the two front compartments, and like the Balenciaga there is an interior pocket (mine is a flap pocket with two compartments)

I love this bag.
    It's a classic, and the hardware is TDF.

GET IT!!!

7. winona, do you remember what color was the canvas interior on the ivory one?

8. ohhhh, it was light :sad:

9. Eeeek :sad: So I guess I'll have to track down one with suede interior (yikes heavy bags!).

Oh, last question, do you think the MJ quilted venetia (or MJ in general) would hold it's value for re-sell:yes:, or should I be expecting a huge loss:push:?

10. I saw a black MJ quilted venetia with suede interior at Neimans in San Francisco yesterday. It was in great condition.

It might still be there if you're interested. In my opinion, the bag isn't much lighter with the canvas interior. But that's just me.

11. bag.lover that is a really pretty color. I'm thinking about getting the banana hobo in that color or espresso

12. Hi Hatikuh -- When I was looking at the venetia at Neimans the canvas lining was kind of like a khaki color. The SA told me that MJ is changing over the canvas lining instead of suede so I don't know if you'll be able to find one in suede -- maybe one of the department stores still has a hold over from last season.

I have noticed from a lot of the MJ on eBay that the re-sell value seems to be a lot less than other brands -- I am sure b/c of the high number of fakes. On the flip side there seem to be so few (if any) authentic quilted venetias out there for re-sale you might be able to get a good price if you decided to sell it but the on the whole I would say def. not as safe of a resale bet as, say, a balenciaga city :nuts:

13. MJ generallly uses suede for winter and canvas, etc. for other seasons. They have not switched out of suede it depends on the bag. Sometimes the design/plans for release and the actual ship date varies so this by season rule can end up a bit off.
    The bags have a luxury and durability not to speak of the fine leather quality and hardware quality..ie real brass vs plated that while heavier makes them addicting. They hold up well. I have 31.

14. 31 Marc Jacobs bags?!?! Whoa! :wtf: Pics please!!

15. bag.lover -- That's a beautiful bag :heart: !! Your sister is so lucky!!