Missing The Good Old Prada Days

Prada Psycho

Authenticator
O.G.
Jul 21, 2006
I was going through my closet this afternoon trying to decide which bag I wanted to use. I've got a ridiculous number of bags (not all Prada) and have gotten lazy about using them, so I'm trying to switch out more often. It sent me back 15+ years back to the "good old days" of Prada. They weren't cheap back then either, but much more reasonably priced compared to other major designers.

The one thing that I miss more than anything is that heady Prada new leather bag scent. It was unlike any of the other major designers, so much so I could easily pick out a Prada wearing blindfolds just by the scent. We old-timers know the quality was top notch compared to the new "assembly line" bags that Prada cranks out. But oh, that new Prada leather scent? Yummy! Even the leather wallets had that.

Yes, waxing nostalgic this afternoon. :girlsigh:

I know what you mean! I haven't shopped in Prada in almost a decade. I'm not a fan of their recent designs and definitely not the materials they use. Out of principle, I will not spend over a thousand dollars on nylon when I can get beautiful nappa leather from Miu Miu for the same price. And when I walked past Prada's store the other day, their bags looked very rigid to me, not at all how I remember them. None of the designs 'wowed' me and I really wanted them to because I used to adore Prada.

Reactions: Prada Psycho
prada saffiano double zip alrd out of trend? :'( still remember 2012-2013 ish the hype of this IT bag.
There will always be some form of "It" bag that comes and goes. I've always done a fast 180 from "It" bags. Who wants to go around looking like everyone else? Not this Old Gal! I go for the classics, tailored, timeless, elegant, and well made. When Prada released the "bedroom slipper" bags this past year (and we'll refrain from discussing the price point), I knew elegance had gone out the window. :yucky:

• Haha
Reactions: crabster
I only have one prada bag - washed buffalo satchel. I haven't been using it much but should probably keep it. Lined in leather - they don't make them like that anymore

View attachment 5876479
That's gorgeous! It reminds me of the Prada leather bag I recently bought from Fashionphile. Lined with leather inside and out, and it's just scrumptious! Don't ever sell that bag. It's just beautiful.

Reactions: papertiger
I only have one prada bag - washed buffalo satchel. I haven't been using it much but should probably keep it. Lined in leather - they don't make them like that anymore

View attachment 5876479

I have a similar age olive suede waist bag. Although the lining has slightly gone, it's still useful and strong.

Prada (and Miu Miu) has had really strong RTW collections recently, a new cosmetics line (which looks interesting and performs well) and a Prada X NASA spacesuit. At Harrods (London) not only is there a(n) (overpriced) café but every window (paid for by) Prada. I'd like to see more focus and energy spent on their leather goods. The only new bag I vaguely like is the 'triangular' handbag at £4.4K. I mean seriously? I can (and do) shop at Hermes for a £4+K bag. Prada is nice but it's not offering me H leather and H aftercare. I used to love Prada shoes too (happily I kept them and my Miu Mius). Nothing calls me anymore, sometimes I forget about Prada altogether.

I have a similar age olive suede waist bag. Although the lining has slightly gone, it's still useful and strong.

Prada (and Miu Miu) has had really strong RTW collections recently, a new cosmetics line (which looks interesting and performs well) and a Prada X NASA spacesuit. At Harrods (London) not only is there a(n) (overpriced) café but every window (paid for by) Prada. I'd like to see more focus and energy spent on their leather goods. The only new bag I vaguely like is the 'triangular' handbag at £4.4K. I mean seriously? I can (and do) shop at Hermes for a £4+K bag. Prada is nice but it's not offering me H leather and H aftercare. I used to love Prada shoes too (happily I kept them and my Miu Mius). Nothing calls me anymore, sometimes I forget about Prada altogether.
I think one of the Prada queens here @Prada Psycho stopped buying these bags years ago when the quality declined

The Soft Calf line and the lambskin Gaufre lines were always my favorites. You just wanted to cuddle with them like they were a teddy bear. :hbeat:
and deerskin?
I forgot...I do have one other Prada item - my red deerskin wallet. not as durable as saffiano but I fell in love with it at Saks and even though it's worn on the outside, I'm pretty much married to it

I was a bit late to the party, but I mostly shop on the preloved market, so I can definitely see the difference between the old and the new Prada. The Saffiano leather doesn't really do anything for me, so I'm bummed that it's everywhere now. I much prefer the gorgeous old soft leather. Not a big fan of the designs, either. And the prices...

I hope there will be a revamp of sorts some time in the future. Like what happened with Celine when Phoebe Philo became creative director. There's so much potential! But the quality must improve, I feel like that's the most important thing.