Miss. bill would make it illegal for restaurants to serve the obese

1. All I can say to the lawmakers who have wasted precious taxpayer money on this absurd idea: kiss my FAT fanny! :rolleyes:

Mississippi Pols Seek To Ban Fats

New bill would make it illegal for restaurants to serve the obese

FEBRUARY 1--Mississippi legislators this week introduced a bill that would make it illegal for state-licensed restaurants to serve obese patrons. Bill No. 282, a copy of which you'll find below, is the brainchild of three members of the state's House of Representatives, Republicans W. T. Mayhall, Jr. and John Read, and Democrat Bobby Shows. The bill, which is likely dead on arrival, proposes that the state's Department of Health establish weight criteria after consultation with Mississippi's Council on Obesity. It does not detail what penalties an eatery would face if its grub was served to someone with an excessive body mass index. (2 pages)

2. An absolutely ludicrous Bill.

Why should it be up to the restaurant to make this decision, what ever happened to taking responsibility for your own decisions or actions. Restaurants are damned if they do and damned if they don't - sued for selling the obese patrons food and then sued for discrimination for not selling the obese patrons food.
  3. this is ignorant. I cannot believe they are trying to do this. :confused1:
  4. Some people have no shame at all. BMI is so bunk anyways. It doesn't even consider muscle mass which isn't effective in athletes because muscle is heavier than fat. According to my DH who's a strength trainer and is as fit as can be, he's obese according to his BMI.
  5. This is amazing!
  6. This is pretty ludicrous. I remember reading in the news that someone that endorsed it didn't believe it would pass, but simply believed that he should send this sort of message. Equality for all but the obese ?
  7. Then they should claim smoking to be illegal as well. That kills just as many people as obeisity anyway.

I feel sorry for whoever thought this was a good bill... betcha he's got fat folks in his family. I can see it now. "Sorry Auntie Maude, you can't go out to dinner with us because my bill passed."

Yeah, kiss MY fat fanny as well!
  8. This is just about the stupidest thing ever. Um...obese people have to eat, too. WTF are they supposed to do? Starve themselves? And any way, this is flawed on about a million different levels. Body types vary, and people carry weight differently. You often can't tell normal/overweight/obese simply from looking. What, is there gonna be a scale at the door? And different people have different perceptions of "acceptable weight." What LOOKS normal to one person may look morbidly obese to another. Who'd be deciding this stuff?

Sheer nonsense!
  9. what idiot thought of that silly idea?

I am not shocked in the least. i am a Legislative Assistant, and I cannot tell you (I cant anyway) how many ridiculous bills that come accross my desk daily!!

10. exactly!!
  11. Perhaps they should also post a guard at the grocery store, so that fat people can't buy groceries either? :rolleyes: Also, can you imagine how those in the restaurant industry feel about this? That is a hard enough business without making them the "fat police"! I don't want to downplay the fact that obesity does KILL. It does. But on the flip side, I have a brother in law who is stringbean skinny and has sky high blood pressure and cholesterol. Everyone is different.
  12. We could go on with this one.
    Stores shouldn't sell cigarettes to people who smoke.
    Stores shouldn't sell liquor to people who drink.

I do think that the fast food joints target the kids with the toys at a early age and this contributes to bad eating habits but I do find that so many parents think it is easier to take the kids out to eat than actually spend time making a healthy meal. Some of my friends take their kids out 4-5 times a week. I will only take my kids for fast food once a month and we go to Sonic--they do not complain.

It would be interesting to see pictures of the people in the legislator. I bet some of them would be included in this bill....
  13. The thing is gilliana, where I live, fast food is cheaper.

I cannot believe how my grocery bills have gone up over the past 6 months. I tend to buy the same things again and again. My average weekly grocery bill (for two people) was about $125. Now the bills are around $175 or MORE, and I'm buying the same things!

I think I mentioned in another thread, when you can get a McDonald's double cheeseburger for $1 vs. a cantaloupe that costs $5 (yes, here they are $5 right now) it's no wonder people are fat.

The other HUGE thing that has happened over the past 30-35 years is the addition of high fructose corn syrup as a food additive. Corn syrup supposedly has a molecular makeup that does not trigger the full mechanism in the brain.
  14. Some people are seriously just on crack cocaine... what a stupid ass law!
  15. MAYBE I can understand at all you can eat buffets, but in normal restaurants?

(Bartenders have the right to cut off the bar patrons who have had a few too many drinkies.)

Come on! How is that going to be enforced? With signs saying, "You must weigh less than xxx to enter"?