Mini Rant about BBags with flaws listed as MINT

I just don't get it!!

It's not like the buyer won't SEE the bag and it's not mint condition once they RECEIVE it.

So why not be honest in the initial disclosure?!?!

I was recently the victim of a BBag sold as "mint" that came with a pre-perfumed stink :throwup:

When I complained to the seller that the "mint" bag had numerous flaws -and- stunk of someone else's perfume I was made to be the outrageous bad-guy.

Sigh.

The term Mint seems pretty straight-forward to me.

I understand why sellers would describe their used bags as being in "mint" condition, but I totally agree that some descriptions are very off. That's why I don't really pay attention to words like "mint, excellent, etc" or "9 out of 10" anymore. I just go straight to the pictures -- I think they can describe the item's condition a lot more accurately, you know? I've seen pictures that show clear scuffing and darkening of bag parts, but the seller still uses the expression "near new." Oy.

How about scratch and snif pics??!?
:nuts::P

The thing is, that is why Mint is such a good word, it has a specific definition not up for interpretation: perfect but not new :shrugs:

But even pics of BBags can be highly subjective depending on the lighting and angle, KWIM?

I understand why sellers would describe their used bags as being in "mint" condition, but I totally agree that some descriptions are very off. That's why I don't really pay attention to words like "mint, excellent, etc" or "9 out of 10" anymore. I just go straight to the pictures -- I think they can describe the item's condition a lot more accurately, you know? I've seen pictures that show clear scuffing and darkening of bag parts, but the seller still uses the expression "near new." Oy.

And my favorite, "in excellent condition-- for an 04 bag"

That's how people are going to describe me, "good condition-- for a 30-something-yr-old" :sweatdrop:

I agree totally about pics not quite showing everything. A bag was listed as possibly Brand New/Not used. I got my Bbag and there were stains that just so happen to be in areas that were not 'caught' on camera. So disappointing.:sad:

I agree with you all to a certain extent. Maybe (and I am not trying to be defensive....) just maybe people have their versions of the definition "MINT" or "Excellent"? I sell on ebay and I take close up MACRO pictures of every little think I find flawed to avoid people coming back to me later about it. I recently sold a Jaune Day for under retail because I was able to pick out more than 5 minor flaws.... but I really used the bag twice, tag still on, handles corners clean etc. The minor flaws I picked out came with the bag when it was mailed to me like problems with the glue at the edges...yep it was a mail order from BalNY... I never bothered returning because I never thought I would sell it. Anyway...long story short... I listed as Used LIKE New but honestly I wanted to list as MINT because to me it was in MINT condition...but to others it would not be considered as MINT ...so maybe that is where the variation comes about?

^ Agreed with lingtsui. Recently I sold a BRAND-spanking-NEW (as in came from Bal Paris sight unseen, i took it out to take photos and it went back in the box; never even used it!) bag only to have the buyer highlight to me that it wasn't 100% perfect. I didn't use the term perfect or mint, I just put it as brand new.

So fine, it was my bad I didn't scrutinize the entire bag or measure the length of the tassles. I mean it was the only bag in that particular style I own and how am I supposed to know how long the tassels should be? PLus it isn't something you take out of each bag to measure, or is it?

Last edited:
Agreed! Bbags come new with plenty of 'flaws' but not chewed corners or dark sticky handles or icky smells. I think that is what we are talking about.

Agreed! Bbags come new with plenty of 'flaws' but not chewed corners or dark sticky handles or icky smells. I think that is what we are talking about.

Maybe the seller spend so much money on bbags with nothing left for food and have to munch on it :P

I seriously cannot understand stickly handles. How does one get gooey stuff on it?

^^OT, but I think it's the natural oil our hands produce? Hairdressers always warn me not to touch hair often as it will transfer the oil from hand to hair.:wtf:

However, I totally agree with most of you here...maybe the sellers are hoping they can get away with selling a mangy bbag as MINT..maybe they think bbag buyers will be none the wiser....:roflmfao:

This is the very reason I am so afraid to buy Bbags on e**y. Not only am I afraid of getting scammed, I may get a bag that has problems that weren't shown in the pics or revealed in the description. Just my luck I guess. So, I will keep on buying new in stores, or from reputable online re-sellers such as Bag Passion.

EXACTLY, I mean, who wants to be holding handles that are totally infused with someone else's dirty hand oils :yucky:
Or a bag comes to you that is "Mint" and it reeks like Thierry Mugler's "Angel" that you completely despise.........ugh, can people just not smell???

hmwe46 - I completely agree with everything that you've said! And it makes me so angry, because I have always made it a point to be totally honest - to the point that my DF thought I was being too honest - in describing the natural occurring "flaws" of the bags that I've listed, and both were BNWT, never carried, in truly perfect condition!

And my favorite, "in excellent condition-- for an 04 bag"

That's how people are going to describe me, "good condition-- for a 30-something-yr-old" :sweatdrop:

:lol::lol::lol: Seriously, though, I hate when people say things like that! Telling someone "you look great...for your age" or "you look great...for having x number of kids" is really such a backhanded compliment!

hmwe46 - I completely agree with everything that you've said! And it makes me so angry, because I have always made it a point to be totally honest - to the point that my DF thought I was being too honest - in describing the natural occurring "flaws" of the bags that I've listed, and both were BNWT, never carried, in truly perfect condition!

:lol::lol::lol: Seriously, though, I hate when people say things like that! Telling someone "you look great...for your age" or "you look great...for having x number of kids" is really such a backhanded compliment!

^^ so true! :roflmfao:

I don't like it when consignment shops say excellent condition when the corners are half bald and the leather sucks just lower the price and stop being so greedy! excellent means excellent not used a lot!