'Million To One' Black & White Twins Celebrate First Birthday

1. Marcia and Millie Biggs were hard to tell apart when they were born within minutes of each other a year ago.

But the twin sisters are growing up in a delightfully different way.
    Blue-eyed Marcia has inherited their mother Amanda's fair complexion and strawberry blonde hair. Millie is more obviously of mixed race and clearly takes after their father, Michael, who is of Jamaican origin.

[​IMG]
    The twins: Marcia (left) takes after her mother while Millie is more of a Daddy's girl

As the sisters celebrated their first birthday, their 39-year-old mother said: "They weren't identical twins but they looked alike when they were born. It was only when they were a few weeks old that you started to notice the differences between them.

"Millie started getting darker skinned, much more like her dad, particularly on her legs.

"At more or less the same time, Marcia also started to develop a lighter complexion and her hair also began to get blonder and curlier.

[​IMG]
    Marcia and Millie shortly after they were born

"People have said that it's one of those unusual things to do with the genes. It's very rare that it happens - a one-in-a-million chance. They are both well cherished."
    She and Mr Biggs, 40, a car mechanic and panel beater from Erdington in Birmingham, have been together for ten years and conceived their long-awaited children after IVF treatment.

Both come from families with a history of twins. Their own set were born by Caesarean section at Good Hope Hospital in Sutton Coldfield. Amanda said: "We never knew how different they were going to look. Their different appearance settled down after a few months, but it means that Millie now looks like her dad, with black hair and dark skin, and Marcia takes after me.

"But they're also now developing their own different personality. Marcia's the more laid-back, chilled one, and Millie's the crafty one."

Jane Denton, director of the Multiple Births Foundation, said: "This is an unusual case but it is difficult to say how rare. Nobody records the skin colour of every twin in the UK. It wouldn't be politically correct to do such a thing.

"We have 10,000 twins a year in the UK and we can expect this to happen in certain situations.
    "What has happened is that two separate eggs were fertilised by two separate sperm.
    "The genes that go into defining skin colour will be different which results in a combination of genes."

The dailymail

2. I remember this story. I had never heard of this before so I didn't believe it at first. Anyway, both girls are cuties!!

3. wow they are cuties:love: I recall reading in Jet mag once about a couple that had twin boys like that. Such cuties.

4. They are very cute and congrats to the parents....but I wonder at the odds. If they were truely twins(one egg and one sperm), that would be one thing....but they are not, with IVF, they are siblings. As the dr said, two different eggs, 2 different sperm, each with their own dna and thus can be just as different as any siblings can be.

My nieces, now 19, also IVF 'twins' are the as opposite as opposite can be. One is brown hair, brown eyes, olive skin, very short (about 5'3") and very petite. The other has blonde hair, blue eyes, very fair, fairly tall about 5' 9", and rather husky.

5. Awww. Double cute!

6. They are sooo cute, and even though their colouring is different, I still think they look very alike.

ahhhhh double bless lol :biggrin:

7. cute

8. Such cuties!!! Even though they're fraternal twins (like Brenda and Brandon from 90210 were supposed to be), these cuties facial features are very much alike!!

Such lucky parents, I've always wished for twins but it doesn't run in my family.

9. Aw, they are adorable! It's an amazing story! :woohoo:

10. Both are adorable! :heart: Call me ignorant. If I saw them on the street, I wouldn't have thought them as twins.

11. Beautiful bubbies. Wow, can't believe they are a year old, time passes so quickly.:smile:

12. Despite the colour differences, they look very much the same, same features, different colour scheme. :p

13. aww I like this story. They are so cute!

14. They're eyes are sooo big & adorable!

15. Good lord! How cute are they?!?!??! Sweet little faces!