Migraine advice thread.

1. I figured since we've had a couple of threads asking about migraines and there were plenty or response, it would be good to have a thread where people can give advice about migraines.

I've started taking feverfew capsules as they are supposed to help reduce the frequency and intensity of migraines. I have been on them for about 2 or so weeks and even though I wasn't expecting any results yet I have noticed a big difference. I started with a migraine last night so I went to bed to try to stop it before it got going. However, I woke up around 2am and noticed that when I got up to go to the bathroom my head wasn't started to pound. The good thing, though, is that it was actually bearable!! I could walk around without too much discomfort and brights lights didn't seem to affect it too badly either. The pain eased off by 9 this morning and I can thouroughly say that it was the least painful migraine I've ever had!!! The capsules are herbal so I figured it would be worth trying them and I defiantly recommend them. I think I paid about £3 for 30 of them. My only problem is that I can't swallow them so I have to drink them as a kind of herbal tea which is a nuisance but if it heps then I'm willing to do it.

I also read that lavender and peppermint oil slighty diluted and put on the head and temples helps. I put some lavender on my head, temples and back of my neck this morning to help. It smelt nice but I can't really say whether it actually helped since my migraine was wearing off by then anyways.

If anybody else has any tips then do let me know!! :smile:
  2. i don't think i get full force migraines but a small version of them. but here's what i do to relief some of the pain and everything that comes with them if i'm at home and can lay down.

I take a wash cloth.. get it wet... squeeze out the excess water and then toss it on the freezer for 5 min or so... then take it out... lay down and mold it to my eyes

i've tried those gel eye masks but none of them are able to mold to my eyes like i would like them too so a wash cloth is a cheap easy solution. and it creates a really nice cooling sensation behind the eyes and i just take a nap for awhile.

i know a girl who gets them so often that she actually has a presciption to carry sringes and medication in her purse so that she can give herself a shot when she gets a migraine. so i guess there's always that solution!
  3. I don't know how bad your migraines are but before I got my bad migraines laying in a dark room with a COLD washcloth on my head & face helped a bit. Now that I get extremely bad migraines, the only thing that works for me is either pills or shots that I have to give myself.
  4. I have to say I have used a cloth that has been in the freezer but I put it on the back of my neck and it does help.
    The dark room is always best, I bought myself a Dior eyemask lol so I can suffer in luxury.
  5. Sometimes I get migraines very often like 5 days in a week and the pills don't work. So I tried drinking tea especially Chamomile, eating ice-cream and I remember once it got so bad that I took a cold shower and sleep with the AC on... and it seemed to help. I don't know if I'm of much help here but these are the things I do when I get a really bad headache.
  6. Some things that work for me:
    Frozen peas on the forehead
    Avoiding red meat (this eliminated 80% of my migraines)
    Keeping my estrogen levels up
  7. My goodness, I thought my migraines were bad. My heart goes out to those of you who need shots, etc. When I was younger my migraines were worse, with the "nail thru the back of the eye" feeling, and vomitting. I'd have to force myself to sleep cuz I could NOT be awake thru the pain. Now that I'm older they aren't as bad (hormones maybe?), no more throwing up and the pain is minimal. I can at least take ibuprofin and be ok. Sure, now that there's all these migraine meds out, I don't need them any more! Anyway, one of my fave treatments was something called "Tangerine Therapy", a little bottle of gel from The Healing Garden that when applied to the temples, was sooooo soothing, it helped a lot. I can't find it any more; it would be great for my "regular" head-aches now. Anyone seen it? is it still available?
    ps: Pritti_Hippie, you crack me up! "suffer in luxury"
  8. Nothing really helps my migraines; I usually just have to wait them out, which can be several days. Zomig sometimes works but not all of the time. I take Sebellium daily to prevent them but I think I may be becoming immune to it as I am getting migraines a lot again lately.
  9. Magnesium combines really well with the feverfew to improve it's action, women are often low in magnesium too
  10. My doctor prescribed Topamax to try and prevent migraines .... I don't think it is working but it is great for weight loss :p so far I have lost 15 lbs!

I also take Maxalt when I GET a migraine which helps but I am still usually down for about 3 days :crybaby:
  11. This is the only thing that has ever helped me. Imitrex. The moment I feel one coming on, I take one 100mg tablet and "poof" it is gone with no drowziness whatsoever.
  12. Imigran Radis seems to work for me!
  13. if they are happening all the time and impeding your life i would see a neurologist. they had tried imitrex and some of the other typical treatments for me to no avail, so she put me on amitriptlyne (sp?) which is supposed to be for depressed but has actually been proven to work for migraines. it is wonderful! i hardly ever get them anymore and when i do there are much less severe
  14. I had severe migraines for 16 years until I tried acupuncture. I used to get them every week as long as the temperature hits above 33 degrees celsius and I'm in the sun longer than 10 minutes. Then I will need to shut myself in a dark room and sleep. The pain only eases off completely the next day.

When I tried acupunture, I was expecting to be poked lots in the head. Interestingly, the meridien points for migraine is in the hands, not the head. After a couple of sessions, my susceptibility to mirgraine triggers reduced. Now, I get migraine attacks no more than 4 times a year.
  15. Mine are horomonal I get them 2-3 times a month for about 3 days each. I take topamax 2x's a day(no weight loss for me arrgghh!) lately ive been taking feverfew pills and magnesium. Ive been getting them for about 6yrs now. I hate it soo much!! imitrex didnt work, some other stuff that dissoved in my mouth didnt work and the topamax really does nothing for me either. I just have to wait it out!! nothing on the mri's either!! so frustration. I go to my chriopractor when I feel it coming on!