Midwife vs OB?

?

Natural Birth with Midwife or Hospital Birth with OB?

1. Natural all the way!

2. Go with the OB at the hospital!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Hi everyone ~
    I just found out that I am pregnant! :wlae: I know I have a long way to go, but I am already thinking about birth options, especially since I need to pick a provider. I am torn between going to a midwife and delivering at a birth center (or maybe in a hopsital, but still with the midwife only if all goes well) and going to a regular OB doc at a big hospital. Both options are really appealing in their own ways. I am also considering a water birth, but I'm not totally sure if it will be right for me. I know there is another thread right now about natural birth but after reading it, I feel like the discussion has become focused on C-sections. So I am looking for your opinions/stories about midwife-assisted, drug-free births and the more "conventional" hopsital, epidural, OB kind of birth. Thanks so much for your help!

2. Congragulations on your pregnancy :yahoo: I would feel "safer" in a hospital with my OB but you should go with whatever makes you feel more safe and comfortable. I dont really know anything about midwives.

3. First of all congratulations! Enjoy the incredible journey! I think it's great to have a birth plan, however, in my case, I didn't plan on having a high risk pregnancy in which case a c-section was necessary and a midwife cannot perform that surgery. Take this time to enjoy and see how things go since you have 8 months to figure it out!

4. First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

It's such a personal choice that I am not going to vote. I watched two episodes of "A Baby Story" on TLC where the ladies had water birth. One was at a hospital that offered water birth and the other one was at home. It's interesting but not for me. You can still have natural birth without epidural with an OB. You just have to find one that share your ideals. If you are unsure, definitely go see both types of provider and interview them before deciding.

5. It really is a personal decision that no one can make for you, so don't let the opinions here sway you too much. If you do choose a midwife, I would choose one who works in a birthing facility attached to a hospital just in case you need immediate intervention (rare, but possible). Then you can really have the best of both worlds. A friend of mine chose to have a midwife birth but also had an epidural. Her whole experience was great and she is glad she chose the way she did.

My second son had the cord wrapped around his neck, so as he descended down the birth canal, it became tighter, restricting his oxygen. If we had been unable to get him out on the next contraction (we did, with an episiotomy and a vacuum extractor), I would have had an immediate c-section. He came out pale blue (better than deep blue!) but began crying within seconds. I just fear what could have been had I not had the scalp monitors that alerted us and facilities available.

But my situation is rare. Many women have pleasant, safe and natural home births, midwife attended births or non-hospital births.

6. The beauty of working with a midwife in the hospital/birthing center is that if ANYTHING goes high risk, there's always a back-up OB in the wings. I went high risk with my first while in the birthing center in the hospital and a wonderful OB stepped in and they worked together (meconium staining).

I would choose midwife all the way. I just think people choose OB because they don't know anything different and assume midwife means lay midwife... A nurse midwife has had YEARS and YEARS of medical training and works right alongside doctors. it's a beautiful partnership and is growing in numbers as mothers to be find them.

I had two midwifery births and I would do it over in a heartbeat - both in the hospital.

7. Congrats on such amazing news! When are you due?
    Natural/Waterbirth is so admirable, but I know I will NEVER have the guts to do it that way!
    I am a pharmacist, I need my drugs!!

8. Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions and advice! Keep it coming! Of course, my hubby and I will make our final decision together and not just based on this thread, but at this point (super super early in the pregnancy - I'm not due until Sept!) we are considering the pros and cons of the different options. Thanks again!

9. some hospitals have a birth center where midwives can deliver baby even by water birth...i prefer ob at a hospital too but if i were to choose a midwife i would make sure there are obs available as well just in case...i am from nyc and i know my hospital has a birthing center...st. lukes roosavelt.

10. Congratulations!!

I would personally feel more comfortable at a hospital, in the case that something went wrong.

11. I'd prefer having an OB and delivering at the hospital since I did end up with complications during the third trimester and during my delivery. I would not know what would have happened if I went with a midwife instead! But that is only in my case.

Good luck with your decision, and congratulations!:flowers:

12. That's a toughie. But I think I would feel a lot safer with an OB. They are trained in that field for 4 years, plus an extra two years of "residency". They are an expert at what they do, and that's why they have the title of "OB".
    Plus, Midwives can't exactly detect major problems, you have to consider blood work, prenatal tests like IUGR and Down syndrome ect. Ultrasounds, and stuff like that. If you want to go more naturally, and maybe hospitals scare you, then go with a midwife. But the way I see it, you have to take your baby to a hospital after it's born anyway. But either way, it's up to you.

13. Congratulations! What an exciting time for you! I know it's a tough decision. Midwives can be just as good as OBs at delivering babies but I'm not sure that having a midwife vs an OB would make the experience more "natural." Many OBs are willing to accommodate your birth plan and personal wishes. I do feel that delivering in a center that is equipped to provide emergency care is important. No matter how well we do things, 10% of babies will require special attention, and I'm sure many moms who deliver via cesarean section didn't have it in their plan.

14. Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I made an appointment at a hospital that I feel comfortable with that has a great OB department. I have yet to meet my doctor (appts in a few weeks) but I have heard great things about her. I am going to be very specific about my ideal birth plan (trying to go without meds (famous last words!), C-section only if medically necessary, etc). The midwife group I was thinking about does have a hospital affiliation and they make sure an OB is always available in case of emergency, but I think in the end I would prefer to just be at the hospital from the beginning. I know a lot of people who work there and think I will be relaxed being somewhere that I have heard lots of good things about instead of trying somewhere more unknown. Thanks again for your help!

15. This is completely untrue. Most midwifery training programs require a bachelor's or master's degree in nursing, a current nursing license, and 1-2 years of nursing experience. 70% of nurse-midwives have a Master of Science in Nursing in addition to midwife training, which totals 6-10 years of education and training. To become certified, midwives must graduate from an accredited nurse-midwifery program and pass a national certification exam. They are able to prescribe medications in all 50 states, and can order all the standard tests, including multiple-marker blood work, glucose tolerance, strep, ultrasound and IUGR testing, amniocentesis, and CVS. Midwives typically do not handle high-risk pregnancies, so they are trained to detect problems well ahead of time.

My DS was born in a hospital with a midwife, and she was amazing! She stayed up all night with me while I was in labor, instead of jumping in at the last minute to do the delivery. The only MD involved was the pediatrician who came to do the circumcision the next day. Pregnancy is a natural occurrence, not an illness, and while there can be complications, they are the exception rather than the rule. Whether you choose a home birth, birthing center, or hospital, I highly recommend a midwife if you and your baby are healthy.