Message in a poll . . . you're the worst lyricist ever, Sting

1. Message in a poll... you're the worst lyricist ever Sting

By RICHARD SIMPSON

Last updated at 22:31pm on 9th October 2007

He is the man who rhymed the word 'cough' with 'Nabokov'. On another occasion, De Do Do Do De Da Da Da was all he had to say to us.

So it may come as no great surprise to fans of popular music that Sting has been voted the worst lyricist in history.
    The singer, who was an English teacher before he went into music, topped the poll thanks to lines which betray 'mountainous pomposity and cloying spirituality' and his use of 'ham-handed metaphors', according to a U.S. music magazine.

Sting is also criticised for stealing song titles from 'Volvo bumper stickers' as in If You Love Someone Set Them Free, from his 1990 album Dream Of The Blue Turtles.
    The magazine further slates him for 'ripping off' the works of Chaucer and Shakespeare. Sting's 1993 album Ten Summoner's Tales – a play on his real surname Sumner and a character from Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, The Summoner, is widely considered a highly pretentious work.
    Sting described the lyrics in the track Fields of Gold as being about the 'inherently sexy' barley fields surrounding his country mansion. The title track of his album Nothing Like The Sun contains lyrics plagiarised from Shakespeare's sonnet 130 – 'My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun'.
    He is further ribbed for the plain nonsense of other lyrics – for example De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da from the Police song of the same title. His pseudo-politics don't help his cause. The magazine says: 'Surveying the Cold War, he found the West “conditioned to respond to all the threats/In the rhetorical speeches of the Soviets”. His rage at Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet was so heated, he castigated the scoundrel in Spanish.' A spokesman for Sting, who is currently in Belgium on the Police's reunion world tour, did not respond to a reques to comment

(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=486708&in_page_id=1773)

You know, I would've voted for Dave Matthews. "Hike up your skirt a little more and show your world to me"? What the Hell is that!?!?

stingDM0910_468x690.jpg stinglyricGPX0910_458x555.jpg
  2. I always thought De Do Do etc was a bit silly but not sure how you can say the man who had the irony to record "Every Breath You Take" is the world's worst lyricist. Pretentious, yes (I seem to remember a documentary quote where he said "It's good to be Sting") but I'm with you Caitlin -- that Dave Matthew's lyric is atrocious, there's also John Mayer's "Your Body is a Wonderland" ... and if you want to go back further in time it definitely gets worse, fast.

3. Sting worst lyricist ever? Hmmmm, I don't think so.