Medical Question

1. Has anyone ever heard of or have polycysic ovarian disease? If so what is your experience with it?
  2. I was told I had it when I was a teenager. I was also told that I'd probably never be able to have kids because of it. It caused weird irregular periods and I was put on birth control pills at the tender age of 14 to help with that. Apparently in my case it resolved itself: my daughter will be 20 in November!:nuts:

What sort of problems are you having?
  3. Congrats on your Daughter...that is very special seeing that you were told otherwise!!!
  4. ^^^Thanks! I so didn't believe I was pregnant that I took two urine type pregancy tests and one blood pregnancy test before I was convinced! :lol:
  5. I have Premature Ovarian Failure, and I believe that's kind of the same thing.

I didn't have a period until I was sixteen and I have to take birth control pills for the rest of my life.

The doctor I saw about it said there's lots of information missing from my medical records. Like, it talks about the diagnosis but there's nothing about why I got it.

She said she would recommend I get tests done in Toronto. (Which sounds VERY invasive.)

I don't want the tests done. (Ideally I don't want my ovaries anymore. They're broken.) But I can't do that. I know I have this thing, and it sucks and I'm taking medication and dealing with it.

I know I can't have my own children. Well, I can carry a baby, but it'll be my husband's and another woman's and it could never be mine and the idea of that makes me really uncomfortable.

I've known that I've had ovarian failure since I was sixteen and I found out about children before I went to college. At first that devestated me, but now I realize that I was meant to adopt, and I'm okay with that.

Does anyone else feel like this?
  6. I did. The husband (at that time) and I were in the process of checking out adoption and guess what? Yup, "the rabbit died". My daughter will be 20 in November. It happened the old-fashioned way too, no medical intervention at all. Go figure?

You may never have your own kids, Caitlin and as you say, that's OK too. Lots of adoptive kids need good homes, but I'm witness that you never know how the story will end.