Mashed potatoes

1. What is the best way to make mashed potatoes from scratch? I basically only know how to cook Asian food. :sad:

2. Here is the easiest and most basic way. At the end, I will put some other options for achieving fancier mashed potatohood.

Get some potatoes. Cut them up into pieces no bigger than an inch-inch and a half square. Put some water in a pot, and a spoonful or two of salt. Put in the potatoes, let them come to a boil. Turn the fire down, but just a little bit. Let the potatoes cook for 15 minutes or so. Then stick a fork in one of the biggest pieces. If the fork goes in easily, you can take them off the fire.

If you're not sure whether the fork is going in easily or not, take out a big piece, run it under cold water so you don't burn yourself, and taste it. If you can bite it, and it tastes like a cooked potato, that means it is one, and you can take its companions off the fire.

Dump the potatoes into a colander and let the water drain off. Now dump them back into the cooking pot and put them back on the fire, but this time turn it way down. All you want to do now is cook away the excess water so that your finished product is fluffier.

This won't take but a minute or two, and you should shake the pan around a bit so that nothing scorches.

Now you are ready to mash! If you have a potato masher, you can of course use that, but it is not necessary, you can just use a fork to mash them up. Alternately mash and stir with the fork until there are no more really big chunks. Don't worry about smaller chunks.

Now you are ready to put stuff in. You have several options here. The most traditional, and old fashioned choices will be butter and heavy cream. Do the butter first, so that the heat from the potatoes will melt it. You can take them off the fire now. Put in a piece of butter not quite the size of an egg. You can cut that into several pieces if you want, stir around until the butter melts.

Now add salt and pepper. This you will have to just add a bit and taste. You may want to use ground white pepper if you don't want to see black specks. If you do want to see black specks, used ground black pepper.

When you have the salt and pepper like you want it, add a bit of heavy cream. Start out with just a little bit, beat the potatoes with a fork. If they still feel too thick, add a little more cream. Do this until they are the consistency you want. Then taste again to see if you need a little more salt.

That's it! You have committed mashed potatoes!

Now here are some other options:

If you want to make Martha Stewart mashed potatoes, peel them before you cook them**, and mix in butter and cream using some sort of electronic equipment so that the resulting product is very white and very smooth.

If you want modern nouvelle heart-healthy potatoes, use I Can't Believe It Costs More Than Butter or one of those light low fat no fat margarine products instead of butter, and some kind of blue milk, 1% or 2% or something instead of heavy cream.

You can also use sour cream or yogurt instead of heavy cream. Just about any old white dairy products will do, really. Feel free to mix and match.

If you want to add even more stuff, you can mix in garlic powder, or chopped, sauteed garlic, just about any yellow cheese, like cheddar or cheshire or even muenster or gouda. You can add raw chopped green onions, chives, bacon bits, or all of that stuff.

Or you can serve the potatoes plain, and surround them with little dishes containing chives, bacon bits, shredded or grated cheeses, and let people Design their Own according to taste. I would also make sure that the table contains either butter or margarine, or both, as invariably no matter how much you put in there, somebody will want more. Some people just like to add the butter to watch it melt on the potatoes on their plates!

**The skins contain vitamins and flavor. Martha wouldn't care about those things, but you might.

3. ahh you are SO GREAT. Thanks for typing all that for me!

4. 4 pounds baby red-skinned
    Salt
    4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
    3/4 to 1 cup milk or cream
    2 1/2 cups shredded Manchego cheese, about 3/4 to 1 pound of cheese
    Black pepper
    Halve large potatoes, small ones can be left whole. Place potatoes in a deep pot, cover with water. Place a lid on potatoes and bring them up to a boil. Uncover, salt the water and cook until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain potatoes and add back to the hot pot. Add butter, milk or cream and cheese and smash the potatoes to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

This is from Rachel Rays Thanksgiving in 60, I love how easy it is to make them! and the TASTE amazing...you can substitute any kind of cheese you want for the Manchego.

5. Don't forget to peel the potatoes before you cut them up and put them into a pot.:smile:

6. I put some Ranch dressing in to give them some zip sometimes.

7. WoW- this whole time I have been making Martha Stewart mashed potatoes without knowing it! LOL That's how my mom always made the potatoes! ;)

I also put my completed mashed potatoes in a oven-safe pan and add cheese and paprika on top, put it in the oven and bake just until it melts! It's yummy! :nuts:

8. I like to put the potatoes through a ricer. It makes for a fluffy end result.

9. This is what I do (can be done with or without skin, I LOVE the skin):

Boil your potatoes in a pot of salted water with 3 garlic cloves, chopped. Cook until mushy or fork tender. Drain the potatoes and garlic, then mash the potatoes WITH the garlic in the pot manually with a potato masher. To that I add about 3 tablespoons smart balance "butter" (I can't tolerate regular butter), some fat free milk to help it liquidize a bit, and then add fat free/low fat sour cream - this is my secret hehe. Add the sour cream to keep the potatoes thick, yet smooth. The sour cream adds a great flavor and compliments the garlic. Salt and pepper the potatoes to taste, and if you like a more garlicky flavor, add some garlic powder to the mix :heart:

10. You can also use fat free low sodium chicken broth instead of cream or milk. It adds a nice chicken flavor and doesn't add quite so many calories.

11. I cook my potatoes with chicken boullion (sp???) cubes in the water. It gives the potatoes great flavor. If you do this omit the salt in the water, as the boullion has lots of sodium.

12. This is how i always made.........

Basic mashed potatoes

800g potatoes, unpeeled

40g butter

100ml hot/warm milk

1/4 tsp salt

Salt and white pepper to taste

Gravy for the mashed potatoes

30g butter
    30g plain flour
    300–320ml chicken/beef stock(fresh made or tin/can)
    1 tbsp chicken/beef stock granules
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 tsp prepared mustard

Method
    Put potatoes in a large pan. Add enough water to cover and add in 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 25–30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and leave aside to cool.

Peel the potatoes then put them into a pan. Add butter and heat over a low fire. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes until smooth in texture.

Gradually pour in the hot milk and beat until mixture turns creamy without any lumps. Add in a pinch of salt and a dash of pepper to taste.

To prepare the gravy, heat butter in a non-stick pan. Stir in the flour and allow the roux to brown gradually over a very low heat. Stir constantly to prevent the roux from burning.

Blend in the stock and allow to boil. Add salt and pepper to taste and beef stock granules and mustard. Cook until the mixture turns thick and smooth.

Serve the gravy with the mashed potato.

13. take the basic recipe and add some boursin cheese. Its a garlic creamy cheese.. yum!!!

14. I cook my potatoes in lots of water for over an hour..Then I drain the water and mash them w/ a potatoe masher..I add (lots) of butter , salt and milk..Then whip the s**t out of them with my hand mixer...You just have to pay attention how much butter/milk you put in...you want your potatoes to have some substance but be creamy...if you put in too much liquid you will have the consistency of apple sauce..YUCK!! :heart: Emmy