Marking on a Hermes bag-What does this mean?

feifei87

O.G.
Jan 15, 2007
I just bought this vintage (1979) navy blue box calf kelly and there's a U marked on the leather-what does this mean? Would I be able to get this bag serviced at Hermes? Also the lock doesn't have the dimples on the sides-is this normal? I'm new to Hermes and would appreciate all the help! TIA!

hermes.jpg

1366_12.jpg

Dimpling on the locks is not an authenticity issue. It has been brought up before and we've been finding locks with no dimples, one dimple, or two dimples. These are just normal variants.

The U is probably the atelier mark and the depressed circle is probably the craftsman ID.

BTW, nice bag. If you notice, there is no square next to the Hermes-Paris engraved on the strap hardware. This means your hardware is solid brass. They started to use gold plate in the 80's I believe.

one more question: where would I be able to find/buy a storage box, dustbag, and raincover for this bag? Thanks!
I notice your location is close to NYC. I would take the bag into the store on Madison Avenue. They will refurbish it for you and provide a new dustbag as well. They could provide you with a raincover as well. The box, though, may have to be purchased online. The stores don't usually give those away.