Marc Jacobs: the brand 2015, where does it stand

I'm quite sad about MBMJ folding. The mouse flats are my everyday comfy flat that I wear everywhere. I am still using a Lil Ukita and have beaten it up quite a bit now but still can't give it up because it's just the perfect size for me. Some of my favourite shoes are MBMJ (and I have a thing for vintage MJ shoe shapes). I loved the quirkiness/cute factor of MBMJ and will miss it.

Reactions: Monstahospital
I've been in and out of MJ news the last year or so...coming back after the market bubble seems to have burst; where bags are a plenty on ebay, and retail hype seems to be a way of the past. It saddens me a bit, as I spent many a long hours in here with so many of you amazing girls fawning over seasons current and seasons past. I amassed quite the revolving door of bags, and despite it all, he's still one of my very favorite accessory designers.

Marc Jacobs recently left LV as head of design after years of amazing contributions to fashion. After that, there were rumours Marc Jacobs would go public, offering shares. It seems now mbmj has officially folded. I'm not sure if this was due to financial matters or if he is focusing on re-creating his brand. Also, most recently, the Marc Jacobs store on Paris shut its doors.

All these things have got me wondering where the brand is now, and where it will be in 5 years from now.

It seems after he broke up with LV, he started a few retrospective collections, using all design nuances into his bags, very reminiscent of the limited edition LV collage bags he did.

Now the current runway collections seem like he's paring down the designs to upscale minimalism, to perhaps compete with the olsen twins brands, And the top top tiers in the fashion world. I feel like the brand is fluttering like a wild bird just caught in a cage.

The last runway show for mbmj with the witch theme could have easily been mainline. And I have felt that confusion between high/low fashion with his mainline competing with his lower line for some time.

I hope that the ending of mbmj and the closing of the Paris location, is MJ tightening his brand, perhaps making it more exclusive, and hopefully not signs its in any trouble.

Been wanting to post this for some time. And I'd love to have a discussion like old times...
That was so eloquent! Beautiful!

Every time I go into Nordstrom Rack or Marshalls or look at off-price websites I see more and more MbMJ bags. I'm starting to wonder if this is now the off-price/made for outlet line? I know he said he was shuttering the brand but jeez, how much left over stock could they have been sitting on for there to be so many MbMJ bags still available to sell at discount what, like a year, later? I was kind of sad to hear the line was being discontinued - I love my buttery-soft Fran and Natasha, but is it really discontinued or is it just a change in marketing strategy?

Every time I go into Nordstrom Rack or Marshalls or look at off-price websites I see more and more MbMJ bags. I'm starting to wonder if this is now the off-price/made for outlet line? I know he said he was shuttering the brand but jeez, how much left over stock could they have been sitting on for there to be so many MbMJ bags still available to sell at discount what, like a year, later? I was kind of sad to hear the line was being discontinued - I love my buttery-soft Fran and Natasha, but is it really discontinued or is it just a change in marketing strategy?

No, it's discontinued. I'm not surprised there's a lot of stock left - I'm sure it wasn't discontinued because things were selling well.

No, it's discontinued. I'm not surprised there's a lot of stock left - I'm sure it wasn't discontinued because things were selling well.
Thanks -- good to know. Supposedly MbMJ represented 70 percent of the company's sales, according to one article I read. But maybe it was a cost cutting move, by consolidating the two lines? Oh well -- I'll hunt down a few pieces while they last!

Thanks -- good to know. Supposedly MbMJ represented 70 percent of the company's sales, according to one article I read. But maybe it was a cost cutting move, by consolidating the two lines? Oh well -- I'll hunt down a few pieces while they last!

Yeah, that was mentioned in this article
www.racked.com/2015/9/3/9249939/marc-jacobs-brand-ipo

The Racked article implies folding MBMJ was a creative decision rather than a financial one, which sounds like a great business decision...

I tend to lean toward the creative decision angle being an attempt to spin things in a positive way, but then LVMH owns most of MJ so I don't know, maybe taking a hit is worth it to LVMH to keep Marc happy? I'm sure they can afford it.

I'm curious what the revenue will be for this year.

I'm very disappointed in how the brand has evolved. I really miss the MJ Collection days of the past. I actually purchased 2 MJ bags this past week and I'm still amazed at how much I still love them after all of these years. The prices are great on some really high quality items and that is a plus for the consumer, but I still think it's a huge loss when you see what used to be vs. now.

I haven't been on the MJ forum for a couple of years. I have a ton of MJ stuff. I was shocked to see how the values have decreased so dramatically.
I remember the days when hard to come by pieces had lively bidding wars.
I will continue to use all my MJ's. maybe it will come back into fashion.