Marc Jacobs for Louis Vuitton - Opinions...

i feel like followers of the MJ brand are getting cheated (or it could be the other way around since i'm not sure which comes first) since a lot of MJ styles are reminiscent of LV styles.

so true.. its a shame that we have to pay double for the same design as MJ bags simply because he puts LV sign on them!!

Jacobs has been irritating me very much recently with his enslaught of grotesque creations. His insistance on discontinuing all the classic bags for the introduction of the ghetto-fabulous is distressing for a classic Vuitton-lover.

Additionally, it seems ridiculous to adhere to the silver hardwear policy on Epi leather for day bags.

"A fool would know that with tweeds or other daytime clothes one wears gold, and that with evening clothes one wears platinum"
Wallice Simpson, the Duchess of Windsor

I hate the idea of bags being discontinued as disposable fashion items of the season. I can understand limited-release colours for epi much more, of course.

Bring back the St Jacques, the Malesherbes etc.

And now, is the Nolita to be discontinued? That's what they are telling me from Paris. Is it true???? The only damier options now are all awful, excepting the classic chelsea, the sac plat, the papillon, the alma and special-order deauvilles.

SORRY FOR MY RANT - I AM PERPLEXED!!

I like many of his designes for LV, but don't particularly like his MJ bags. The one thing I can't stand is the way many of his MJ bags have the Manhattan clasps, but they don't do anything, they are just for decoration! At least on the LV bags they are functional!

Jacobs has been irritating me very much recently with his enslaught of grotesque creations. His insistance on discontinuing all the classic bags for the introduction of the ghetto-fabulous is distressing for a classic Vuitton-lover.

Additionally, it seems ridiculous to adhere to the silver hardwear policy on Epi leather for day bags.

"A fool would know that with tweeds or other daytime clothes one wears gold, and that with evening clothes one wears platinum"
Wallice Simpson, the Duchess of Windsor

I hate the idea of bags being discontinued as disposable fashion items of the season. I can understand limited-release colours for epi much more, of course.

Bring back the St Jacques, the Malesherbes etc.

And now, is the Nolita to be discontinued? That's what they are telling me from Paris. Is it true???? The only damier options now are all awful, excepting the classic chelsea, the sac plat, the papillon, the alma and special-order deauvilles.

SORRY FOR MY RANT - I AM PERPLEXED!!
This is your opinion of course;). I love the new damier styles and love all of the new hardwear choices, designers need to keep up and be ahead of the"trend" or the brand gets stale , and seen from a marketing veiw of course introduce more styles that appeal to new customers, home many "classics" can one have? Keep buying more and more, very smart!

I like many of his designes for LV, but don't particularly like his MJ bags. The one thing I can't stand is the way many of his MJ bags have the Manhattan clasps, but they don't do anything, they are just for decoration! At least on the LV bags they are functional!

I agree... the MJ bags don't do it for me really, and I think they are over priced for the quality, but some of his LV stuff is nice!:shrugs:

This is your opinion of course;). I love the new damier styles and love all of the new hardwear choices, designers need to keep up and be ahead of the"trend" or the brand gets stale , and seen from a marketing veiw of course introduce more styles that appeal to new customers, home many "classics" can one have? Keep buying more and more, very smart!

Oh yes, it is definitely just my opinion!!! I suppose his designs are becoming more slouchy and less structured, so that is definitely just a question of taste.

My sister actually has a Marc Jacobs Venetia in chocolate brown calfskin and I adore that bag. It is perfection!

I just feel that the bags have an increasing case of something akin to attention deficit disorder! :yahoo:

And it distresses me to the point of ranting because I love LV. In my opinion, their service and quality is second to none, not to mention their relative value for money in the luxury field. I suppose that is why I am so vexed! Perhaps next season Mr Jacobs will return a little restraint. The thing is, I think that I just don't like the constant discontinuing of bag models.
:crybaby:

Some of the higher-ups at LV should read this...
I think MJ has done a good job at bringing in new customers esp. with his collaborations with Murakami and Prince, but he has alienated the older customers because the bags are just trendy, not classics. I think LV needs to recapture its old clientele by offering more classic bags and stop doing collaborations every season so that they get written up in the press and produce "it" bags.

LV do lots of bags which are great and classic, but they also need MJ.

Without him there wouldn#t be the Murakamis and without the murakamis there wouldn't be the multicolors. I still remember the days ( ok, I was very younf then) when wearing a vuitton ( unless you were french) was kind of oldfashioned! LV needed a young designer and MJ was young and progressive!

But I have to admit there are simillar bags to the MJ bags (Manhattan = Venetia)....

I see the bigger problem in the fashion collections, the clothes he designs for LV are gettin better and better and his owne collection kind of lacks ofpersonallity.

LV do lots of bags which are great and classic, but they also need MJ.

Without him there wouldn#t be the Murakamis and without the murakamis there wouldn't be the multicolors. I still remember the days ( ok, I was very younf then) when wearing a vuitton ( unless you were french) was kind of oldfashioned! LV needed a young designer and MJ was young and progressive!

But I have to admit there are simillar bags to the MJ bags (Manhattan = Venetia)....

I see the bigger problem in the fashion collections, the clothes he designs for LV are gettin better and better and his owne collection kind of lacks ofpersonallity.

I agree. MJ freshend up LV and now keeps them front-and-center. I don't like all his designs but that's style, n'est ce pas?:tup:

I love Marc Jacobs, he is really the best designer around for miles. Though a lot of what he designs for LV is kinda repeated in his own designs, I still find his creativity in other aspects of both LV's and his own line varied and astoundingly clever! :yes::tup:

I think he has made some excellent stuff for Louis Vuitton! I really love the collaborations with Murakami and Richard Prince and almost all the new bags he has designed. I don't however like the whole tacky hip-hop bling direction the brand seems to be gravitating towards, eg. by having Pharrell Williams design things. It really would be a shame for LV to become completely out of touch with its classic/luggagey roots but I do like the trendier, more colourful bags.

I agree I love the classics, I love Nolita. I love damier and would love to own that peice, now I need to track it down. I dont think they should discontinue the classics , keep them at lower stock levels maybe. We need to remember that number one objective of lvmh is increasing profit simple, and with hiring MJ they have done just that.